Lubricating throttle

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dr Twisty, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.
    I ride a 2017.5 1200GS. Recently I've noticed the throttle action is no longer a smooth roll on and off. It feels somewhat sticky--almost crunchy when I subtly make small adjustments. It's a fly-by-wire throttle system so there's no cable involved, right? So I guess there's some dirt/moisture in the throttle mechanism. How do I get it back to being smooth? Thanks.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flush it as best you can with an electronics cleaner. Do not oil it. If that doesn't work you will need to pull the grip apart to clean dirt under the grip plastic.
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  3. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim! Any particular cleaner you recommend?
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Most if not all throttle mechanisms respond well to an application of Teflon (PTFE) dry lube.Liquid carrier evaporates leaving the Teflon dust as an effective lube.

Had to buy some last week as my older BMW throttle was sticky from dust and whatever I accumulated on the road the last couple months.The dry lube liquid carrier is an alcohol so will also clean parts to some extent.

I am leaving the can behind at my sister's.She'll use it on all her squeaky cupboard hinges,doors......outdoor gear zippers....saw blades etc....!

WD40 now sells a Teflon dry lube:

https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/
    Dr Twisty and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread is about a bike with throttle by wire, right?

You guys posting above about squirting a petroleum based lubricant into the throttle side, please stop!

It would be helpful if you would delete your posts, so as to reduce confusion when someone uninitiated - or, like yourselves, who didn't read the thread - finds it in the future. Let's help prevent them from mistakenly gumming up their throttle by wire.

Again, it's throttle by wire.
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any petro lube recommended on this thread?

Jim is recommending the electronics cleaner which is mostly alcohol as I have been using the same for years.

Teflon dry lube from any manufacturer is just that....an alcohol carrier that will clean,flush dirt out and leave DRY PTFE behind as the lube.

That one then?

https://blastercorp.com/product/dry-lube-with-teflon/

I didn't have to dig the specs as to composition,I showed the product to my sister for her many squeaky hinges.Sprayed some on her sink and asked her to take a sniff to identify the carrier.+30 yrs working in microbiology and laboratories.....she said Isopropyl Alcohol!
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  8. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    Well I bought both your suggested products. I first used the CRC electronics cleaner which immediately improved the stickiness. After I let it dry some, I applied the dry lube. Much, much better. Thanks guys.
    Zubb and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    The CRC Contact Cleaner is great for installing Grip Puppies as well.
    JimVonBaden likes this.