Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where'd you find a 71T? I have the Luna 60T on mine. Though I guess now that I'm thinking about it, any common #41/#420 sprocket could be machined to fit.
  2. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
  3. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    It really sounds like a "dual range" transmission would improve both ends of the "Light Bee's" performance envelope, and provide a more flexible one as well.
    Feel free to disagree.

(But, then you'd be wrong):lol3
  4. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree completely. Make me a clutch, as well.

I made a hub to sprocket adapter to use some sprockets I had on hand. They are from a Zero X motorcycle. It took some lathe work and welding which is about as far as my fabrication skills go.

I was going to buy sprockets from Luna Or Surron USA but neither offered quick shipping and I needed a fix, pronto. I was actually going to get a 55 which would have turned out to be useless in my situation. DIy turned out to be the best way in hindsight.
  5. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn cool. Are these comparable to a 50cc scooter in power? When new of course. I'm sure they're are kits available etc...
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are rated ~7hp
  7. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was telling a friend about these and mentioned that the horsepower felt like about a TTR125. I just looked up TTR125 HP and found that BBR tested and rated them at 7, so that seems exactly right. Difference though is that these have about 80-90 lbs less weight. Plus the way you can twist the throttle wide open with zero shifting makes the power delivery much more linear and gets you up to speed faster than a TTR or similar bike. If there's some kind of bump on the trail I can give it a quick hit of throttle and "launch" (relatively speaking) off the obstacle. When I've tried that on my daughters TTR it just doesn't respond at all quick enough to do that. You have to have her bike up to speed already or you'll just roll gently over obstacles.
    CrapKerouac likes this.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the max and the power will likely drop off somewhat proportional to the motor speed - not so much the torque though
  9. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But a higher voltage battery would do the same. We already know the panasonic battery cells are the weak link. Power dissipation in the controller and motor are not. A two-speed solution does not change the the hp requirement to go up a big hill faster.
  10. CableDog

CableDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the X or non X Sur ron?. I have the black edition rockshox Sur Ron X and the power is awesome. Definitely no need for a 71 sprocket IMO.
  11. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah mine is an X and with a 61 sprocket I had to bail off this hill. You cant see the run-up but its steep, long and rough and by the time I got to the base of this I was already crawling. I guess its possible that it might have grunted up to the top but then you are dealing with having to maintain perfect traction with no momentum. It's a long way down when you fail....

We ride in a pack until we get to these hills where we wait until the guy ahead of you clears the hill
  12. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^I was waiting for the Sur-ron!:dirtdog

(That 4 stroke that went second was stylin':super)
    AbeWhat likes this.
  13. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    Where in Atlanta are you located? I'm in East Point. I want to try out a Sur ron. I was thinking about getting one but bought an Oset 24 instead. I'd like to do a side by side comparison.
  14. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m near you, in Fayetteville. I don’t have one yet, but I’m thinking about picking up a Sur-Ron this weekend. We’ll have to get together for some stealth riding if I get one.
  15. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    I wonder if we can ride the BMX track in Peachtree City. It seems empty most of the time. Kenwood Park would be a good spot also.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Randomly came across this on YouTube. Limited run Sur Ron Luna Ludicrous R:

Sold out. :cry
  17. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome job HadesOmega! I think knobbies would have helped with the powder over the trials type tires. If it had been wet roots and rocks, different story. Would lower gearing have helped on the hills or would that have given up too much top speed?
  19. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm I'm not sure about the gearing. I've never ridden a Light Bee with the stock gearing except the supermoto kit but that has no traction going up the dirt hills because I tried that H20 hillclimb with it. I recently rode the Rubicon trail with my Light Bee and I found that if you get stuck or spinning the tires you can put it in the lower power mode and it acts like a traction control or a low range on a 4x4. Look forward to video of that =P
  20. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice one Hades. Get lots of comments or questions about what you were doing out there with a small e-bike? I think half the fun would be passing big gas bikes and knowing the riders are trying to figure out what in the world just went past them. :)