Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jasonjm

Jasonjm n00b

Oddometer:
    let me rephrase the surron brakes are fine on flat trails and random short braking. But on long decents (like when i run my sur ron down a flow trail that is a downhill mtb type trail) i get serious brake fade. It can be fixed with better pads and a bigger rotor on front i bet, I will try that next visit. I dunno maybe if the X controller on the newer surrons added some regen braking that could also do the trick, i dont know since i dont have that.

yeah and you are right all i would be doing is trying to find tech trails on a surron in desert areas, waste of time.

KTM it is (and 350 is fine for me, I am not a speed demon).

sur ron is a strange creation. I would say its 2/3 motorbike and 1/3 downhill mountain bike - but it is neither. it is fun.
  2. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry, I realized later you must not have an X with the coasting regen. It helps a lot, and I only weigh 165.

I have a bigger rotor on the way to fit to a 21” front to keep braking force similar to the 205 on the 19” OEM front.
  3. Jasonjm

Jasonjm n00b

Oddometer:
    mabe the solution is to get both a KTM and a surron and ride the one in techy tight trails for 2 hrs, and then go ride the rest of the day in the desert. hehe. I could do that if I opted for a 2nd hand motobike. just never bought anything but new. Can I get a decent socal desert bike 2nd hand for $4k - I am assuming yes? and if so where?
  4. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. 2T for tight (200 plenty torque for my weight) and bigger 4T for open and monster climbs.

(If anyone was thinking of a SR I didn’t want them to think brakes are poor. Earlier gen owners could maybe qualify that.)

Craigslist is your friend.
  5. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Easily, unless your dead set on the KTM. I usually see those a little higher on Craigslist local to me (Metro Los Angeles).

Don't know where you are in the Sprawl, but if you resort to Craigslist, try surrounding areas like Inland Empire for better prices.

All that said, definitely try the Flea Market here on the boards first. You'll find a better deal and get to meet a fellow inmate who's likely cared for the bike better than your average Craigslist poster.

https://advrider.com/f/forums/bikes.52/

Also, SoCal and Central Call bikes occasionally appear on the Bay Area Rider's Forum.

https://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
  6. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a MX with the X controller and the regen braking does help, I don't think I've ever faded the brakes even riding on a kart track at race speeds, but it's not going that fast like in the 40's. I do have the Shimano Saint Z pads in the front. I'm upgrading to the ASI BAC2000 controller soon hopefully that will get me more regen. I would be happy if there was a tad more regen than what the X has.

However I can see if you made the Light Bee any faster you would have problems with brake fade. That's what Luna Cycle was saying about their souped up Light Bee.
  7. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brakes squeal like crazy with the lightest touch. Didn’t bed well. Makes me want to never use the brakes. What pad type fit the stock brakes? Is it the H type?

I’ve seen several people mention the Shimano Z pads. Thinking of replacing with those.
  8. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I got lucky with good brakes and no squealing.

If I can’t turn off or adjust regen from bars on the fly I’d rather not have. Current level of coasting regen works fine for flowing ST (like mild 4T engine braking) but not for trials-like obstacles. When you pop over something there is no way to go neutral throttle with precision like there is when rolling throttle off a 2T or clutching a 4T bike. Slippery log won’t be easy.

I got over expecting a brake pedal first day because I ride bicycles, and always ran moto (right side front brake) but when I need to pause after a short steep up with little room or let rear roll over obstacle I still occasionally pull in LHRB expecting clutch. Hard to undo all I learned from seven years on trials bikes.

Hades, why the 2000 and not the 4 or 8K? Sticking with OEM batt?
  9. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I ride a KLX140L as my other dirt bike and the KLX is definitely faster than the Light Bee. I was at kart track for a supermoto event and I pretty much drag raced a Yamaha TTR125 down a long straight away and it was pretty neck and neck. So the Light Bee is equivalent in power to a 125cc 4stroke. Pretty much pit bike power. What it lacks in power though it makes up for it in agility.

As for why I'm going with the 2000 is $$$ and I don't want to dump too much into the bike. I am going to stick with the stock battery and maybe try and import one so I have 2. I'm planning to race the bike so having two batteries helps a lot. I've pretty much tested the limits of the battery. I can overheat the battery if I do a 20 minute supermoto track session charge and do another 20 minute track session. It's so frustrating having the battery overheat. When I rode my bike in the Rubicon I had the opposite experience of having the battery too cold. At temps below 40F the battery will refuse to charge like when it is overheated. Thus far I have not been able to overheat the battery riding in the dirt though.

I'll see how the ASI controller is but I also want the extra functionality of the ASI controller. Like the bluetooth interface and gauge cluster. It would be nice to tune the regen and maybe have varying power modes. I found out with the 60tooth sprocket, if you're just spinning the tires from too much torque just put it in low power mode and it acts like a traction control almost. Also it would be nice to have a battery statistic on the handlebar like SOC and temp etc... I am hoping that you can adjust calibrate the speedometer for the sprocket you are running because with the 60tooth sprocket the speedo is way off like 10mph. But yeah the 4k and 8k you won't get the full potential of those controllers unless you upgrade the battery and that's $$$$. Anyway I'll see how it is when I get it I think it's the best upgrade for now and I can just sell my X controller and get some of my money back.

Also the Storm Bee is coming out so I don't wanna dump too much money on the Light Bee if I might want a Storm Bee instead. I have to say the Light Bee is a very unique bike the Storm Bee is pretty much just a full size dirt (well maybe a small one) bike but the Light Bee is kinda in a class of it's own
  10. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Our hardcore brothers in Hawaii are loving there Sur Ron's in the gnar.

Ditch, voltsxamps and Allucaneat like this.
  11. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Storm Bee is 260#s? I can’t think of a use for that when I have lighter and way faster actual dirt and DS bikes. My LBX was initially a yard bike but I’m having fun with it at local ohv park smooth and tight trails while waiting for the rain. I can feel it’s at its limit around 35mph, suspension and wheels wise.

I’m in the middle of importing a second batt will let you know how it goes, already an issue. Only see the one 72v batt offered so far and basically same price as OEM.

I’m thinking like Kim (motomoto on Endless Sphere), upgraded controller and batt for giant killer on tight relatively smooth trails like FH T2.

$6600 into it now with second batt and I’m thinking close to 9 with power boost. That’s with stock suspenders of course. (Not a good value but better than my Duc lol.) Should hang with an e Freeride then for Yard Wars at less than half the weight.
  12. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 4k/8k control will improve acceleration as you aren't drawing max amps out of the battery at low speed. The controller current limit is the limit. The top end power/speed will be the same as the battery current is again the limiting factor.
  13. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Want to see what happens when you overheat the Light Bee's battery? What I noticed when you hear the bike regen it's much louder than it normally sounds. Everytime it regens it heats the battery up until it's heatsoaked and at it's limit.

14. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with having to import another battery? Are you buying direct from Sur Ron? Doesn't Luna sell batteries?

these light bees can turn into a money pit, apparently.
  15. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    If you import the battery it's a little more than $1000. If you order from Luna Cycle it's $1600.

You can import them from Elecycle
    https://www.elecycles.com/sur-ron-light-bee-60v-battery.html

Has anyone actually imported on into the states? How was it? I would be willing to spend $1000 importing a battery.

Hopefully since Segway will be selling their version of the Light Bee, parts will be more readily available and cheaper. Not that the parts aren't cheap already but hopefully the batteries come down in price.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  16. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    I'm very curious about how things will go with Segway. I wanted to get pricing info on the Segway e-dirt bikes and stopped by their FB page, not good.

Lots of people complaining about poor quality and poor service. And at least one person putting together a class action lawsuit against them.

Hopefully its not a sign of how they operate in general.
  17. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A68230FB-5FE6-4D35-B434-8F1727A06998.jpeg
    Yes, my Duc is a money pit too. Coulda had a small fleet of LBXs. :-)
    JK! Spending fun money is fun.
    jas67 and n16ht5 like this.
  18. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the complaints you see on FB are small percentage of their sales. Look at Luna’s on Yelp!

If one orders a second battery with bike from Luna it is $1200. Ride it a day and order a second and it is $1791! Lol No mention of that when ordering the bike!

Like Hades said, Elecycle $1245 shipped. Will let you know how it goes, ordered yesterday, hit card today. Fingers crossed.

Luna owner claiming exclusive distributor today. Probably should be an asterisk after that.
  19. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely keep us posted on the battery purchase. I'm debating between buying a spare battery or possibly just another full bike. If I buy a 2nd bike then I'll have a spare battery and/or a bike for the Mrs to ride if I can get her out.
  20. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure I'd say they're a money pit. Can spend a bunch if you want but you don't have to. Mine was delivered for just over $4000 and came with the X controller. It's still bone stock and I could leave it that way and be happy for the most part. If I do spend more on it then it'd be for another battery ($1000 - 1600) and maybe an upgraded set of forks ($600 or so). Not much different from moto bikes - you can pick up a basic new trail bike for around $4000-5000 and leave it stock. You can also pick up a brand new high end enduro bike for $9000-10000 and then do like my bro-in-law and immediately add on steering stabilizer, upgrade suspension, upgrade seat (Seat Concepts), add Rekluse Clutch, etc. etc. Now THAT was some cash spent. :-)