Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    No need for Rekluse clutch on an electric bike, that's for sure :)
  2. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - very true! Getting spoiled with all this riding with no clutching or shifting.
  3. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re upgrading ICE bike...
    And barkbusters, rad guards, skid plate, pipe guard, and spark arrester/different can, mandatory and then maybe larger tank, rotor guards, etc.

KTMs, Ready To Race to the aftermarket.
    Not complaining (200 500 690)
  4. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not suggesting that a money pit is a bad thing. Therefore:

Would anyone be interested in a 3kWh battery and at what price point?:deal
  5. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as the pit is voluntary. :-)

Been reading the 165 page thread on Endless Sphere and others like on EV Nerds, Kim’s and Mark’s sites, etc.

Versed in current market imho.

Price point?
    With bike from Luna $1287
    Elecycle $1245
    Luna separate $1791

Litespeed offered a 72v with buyer’s oem case (?) and now has their own box. Another poster questioned the value and performance claims so I held off.

You would have to be able to demonstrate your BMS is comparable to OE etc of course. One or two bad builds or op error and the forums will sink a guy. “his nickel strips look weak” etc.

Once a few more machines in China start cranking these out and Segway etc imports them they should come way down, based on what I see that the hobby folks are doing.

Haz Matt shipping regs/cost are what’s holding ppl back on AliExpress etc.
  6. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah. Yeah that is quite different. I thought you'd meant they were crappy and needed a ton of money to make rideable. I could see them turning into a money pit in a good way - if you like something it is fun to hop it up and bling it out! Don't get me started on how much I spent on golf when I was super into it for a while years ago.....

I'm also really hoping with the Segway version coming out that the prices for batteries will come down. Or that the performance will ramp up. I'm amazed at the distance you can go on a single charge, but its still nowhere close to what I can do with a gas bike.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  7. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see it as a money pit. The parts on Luna Cycle are very reasonably priced. If you break something it's somewhat easy to replace it. The Supermoto kit is like around $400 how are you going to find a set of supermoto wheels for your bike wheels, hubs, spokes, tubes, rim strips, tires, rotors, sprocket, and chain for that kind of money? That's a very good deal, granted the tires are crap I'd ditch those right away.

A new set of dirt wheels is like $150 on sale right now.

The only thing that costs a lot of money are the powertrain components.

I wish to see more of an aftermarket for the bike. I know stagcycles has some parts but they're in UK. Sur Ron UK has some stuff also. I see some stuff floating around ebay also.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  8. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be clear, it wasn’t me that said I could see how they could turn into a money pit.

I also could enjoy it stock.

Fortunately I don’t have to.
  9. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I just wore through my rear pads and ordered these. If anyone is looking for brake pads EBC makes some. I replaced the front on mine with some Shimano metallic pads then I found out EBC makes mountain bike pads too so decided to give them a whirl for the rears. I didn't want to buy those fancy ones with the heatsinks for the rear. Got these $18 shipped on ebay. They have different compound also I got the Gold ones.

Also found out if the pad gets low the pistons may get stuck and you get smoking brakes o_O' So I'm on strict no rear brake riding until I get these.

EBC Brakes EBC disc pads, Shimano Saint M810 - gold

[​IMG]
    - Gold (HH): super-high friction, high heat (longer lasting) sintered bronze metallic compound with diamond ground surface for wet/extreme conditions (due to high heat generation, HH-Gold compound is not for Hydraulic/DH race use unless OE specified)
    - Red (R): high friction, low heat (faster wearing) Aramid based, semi-metallic soft compound for DH racing
    - Green: med-high friction (medium wearing) Aramid based, organic compound for XC/all-purpose (no squeal)

Product Details
    Manufacturer EBC Brakes
    Manufacturer Part Number CFA493HH
    StuInFH and TeeJayIdaho like this.
  10. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
  11. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you think of this $2100 battery? https://www.surronshop.com/
  12. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea. (Those straps holding it in look familiar. Lol)
    Nucular guy?
    With shipping and controller and WOT up a hill on a summer day and I could have the first $10K Sur Ron paperweight? :-)
    I’m thinking I’ve done enough early adopting for awhile, and will just ride it until upgrade kits are common and proven. You go first.
  13. Finer

Finer n00b

Oddometer:
    Light Bees on the Kern Canyon trail in spring. It doesn't get any better.
    20190324_123250.jpg
    catfish, Bucho, Baja Ho and 10 others like this.
  14. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Sending it during the Coyote Creek Sprint Enduro
    [​IMG]
    Barekat, catfish, Baja Ho and 5 others like this.
  15. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Just wondering has anybody ordered an ASI controller kit from ERT (Electric Race Technologies) for their Light Bee? I ordered a BAC2000 controller kit more than 4 weeks ago and I have not received it yet. I was excited to get it and was ready to do a video review on it and all but I can't do anything if I never get it. I emailed their support email at their website never got a reply. Then I emailed Alan's email from their Facebook page and I got a reply that says they are shipping it tomorrow. Fastforward to a week later and nothing. I emailed Alan again about a tracking number and haven't got a reply yet. Their website always says Awaiting Fulfillment and it is still dated with the day I ordered the kit October 27th. No other updates about it till now. No tracking number for shipping. Beginning to thing ERT is not a very good business. Also the day after I placed the order they had already taken the funds from my debit card. You'd think that once the product is ready to be shipped out they would take the money then.

I'll keep everyone up to date on this. On the website it says it take 1-2 week minimum for the order to ship out but it's been 4+ weeks already. On the actual page to order the controller it says that as of October 31 "Controller kits are now back in stock, lead times are now dramatically reduced to a week or less. New Color LCD Display coming soon." so I would guess it should not take this long.
  16. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    ^Ugh - my sympathies - reminds me of my months-long wait to get parts from Ricor.:hair

PayPal, credit card, yes.
    Never debit card - ever.:nah
  17. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Hopefully I get it sometime will keep up to date, they're not doing themselves any favors because I was going to do a video reviews on it.
  19. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Here is where I'm at right now

20. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if these can be registered in Ontario?