1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my first drag race with the ERT ASI BAC4000 after I upgraded from the BAC2000 it's a BIG difference in the amount of torque. The BAC4k is nuts the moment you twist that throttle. It pulls so hard the front lifts. The 2K was sluggish off the line the 4K just takes off like a freight train!

2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BBSHD bicycle is incredibly stealthy - it's one of the things that's super fun about it... When most on any surface but pavement I can hear the gears inside the moto but only just barely and of course that's only when the motor is helping... On hard surface all you can hear are the tires

When the sur-ron's hit the scene a lot of people remarked that they were a lot noisier than expected (even with the belt) but like mentioned, nothing even remotely close to a gas-powered moto
  3. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Okay first off what's BBSHD?
    How many folks running the pedal kit and are they worth looking into. I totally afraid of running out of battery and wouldn't want to push it.
    How open is the cockpit? I have problems with my legs and being cramped up doesn't work very well for me.
  4. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, here goes the neighborhood. Been lurking around here for a minute and figured I'll jump in.

I finally have my X and it's pretty much setup now, no other mods planned. It took a while to get the suspension dialed and now it's just perfect for me.
    Happy to share my setup if anyone cares, for now here's a few photos of the Lost X. :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also charging the bike using solar for off the grid 4 wheeled based adventures, two charges in a day is plenty for me when camping - just love trail riding without the noise and weight of a gas bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Allucaneat, MrBob, TimCC and 5 others like this.
  5. skyungjae

skyungjae That's my purse! I don't know you!

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to your BAC8000 videos. Maybe next year? :D:D
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I hear about the pedals is their not really useful for pedaling and the primary reason people go with the is to try and pass it off as a bicycle - someone here may have tried them, I haven't so take it for what it's worth

BBSHD is an aftermarket bolt-on mid drive for bicycles - it handles 1500W (2hp) readily and can be added to a bicycle in a couple of hours

This is mine

IMG_0159.JPG

Close up of the install

IMG_0134.JPG
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  7. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Thanks. I looked what that meant, enquiring mines needed to know.
  8. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    roadie bike looks nice and tidy. what is your display and headlight situation there?
    Lost Roadie likes this.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Whoa nice! What solar do you use? Details please! :)
    Lost Roadie likes this.
  10. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stupid question but if you already have a decent (or kick ass) mountain bike would you be well served to just buy a motor and battery and add it to your current bike ?
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the most part (there's always an "it depends") YES!
  12. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

That's a Baja Designs S1 light, soldered into the lighting circuit with a bypass switch on the side of the battery cover. It fit's in the OEM mount perfectly, or can be mounted to the bars with pipe clamp, that was my v.1 method until I got all the parts. (direct clamp, bars, hardware store spacers)
    Alternatively if not a solderer someone could used the rear brake wire (you removed that right?) to plug into the OEM light circuit and use some crimps to connect the S1 light to the brake switch harness after you cut the end that goes into the brake off. The plugs match.

The dash is a 3d printed sur ron speedo relocation bracket I bought from a guy on FB with a volt meter I bought on amazon. It's wired to the battery tapped into the ignition wire, as shown on Luna cycles knowledge base forum post. The bracket file is available on thingiverse if you have a 3d printer, which I don't.
    The volt meter is now programmed to alternate every 3 seconds to show the pack voltage and percentage left. A simple aluminum piece with double stick tape holds it to the speedo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D17D8V3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/S1.asp

https://electricbike.com/forum/foru.../99484-adding-a-voltage-meter-to-your-sur-ron

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3467290

[​IMG]

OEM Light:
    [​IMG]

S1 wide cornering lens
    [​IMG]

S1 spot lens
    [​IMG]
    Cam2ride and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

I have 250w of Renogy solar, 200w on my tent and 50w on the truck, wired in parallel - a Renogy Voyager charge controller, a big Vmax marine battery and a 1000w pure sine wave inverter. The inverter states it's putting out 663watts @115v to the X charger. I've had this solar setup for a while for off the grid camping, it was not designed for this but it working . I experimented charging the x160 for a few months before the X came. The biggest issue and key to it working I found is having the inverter very close to the battery, connected with stout & fat 2/0 pricey pure copper cables. It makes a huge difference with cable type and length at this high draw. Cheap copper clad cables just don't cut it. I used cable for high amp draw winches. The inverter pulls 72amps at peak (measured with a True RMS Fluke meter, not what the display said) and settles around 65amps during most of the charge, going lower as the battery gets fuller. I now have only 3' of cable directly going from battery to inverter, a 100amp fuse is on the way since my existing 60a fuse didn't cut it and it should certainly be fused. Ride in the morning, charge, let the house battery catch up, ride, charge the X battery in the late afternoon. Repeat. I hope that helps folks wanting to charge the X via solar, it's pretty straightforward.
    Allucaneat, MrBob, Cam2ride and 2 others like this.
  14. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That video is a glimpse of what it will be like as God watches us ride through Heaven on Earth.
  16. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
  17. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe ERT did a hard cap at 8000 rpm in the controller? If that is the case, the 60 volt litespeed might have the same top speed as the 72 volt?

I just did a shakedown with my homemade 60 volt battery and I got 7700 rpm before I had to let off, my gravel driveway is about 1200 feet long. If i get out to a paved road I'll see what it actually maxxes out at.

I only bring this up because aside from the general curiosity, being able to use the stock surron charger for the 60 volt battery might make the transition to a better battery less complicated for some folks
  18. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    It feels like it could go faster. If you have more voltage you should be able to go faster. I'm sure the sur ron battery can go faster than stock if you do the BMS bypass, I'm not that concerned about top speeds though, I mostly care about everything below the top speed.
  19. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the same top speed(rpm), a higher voltage battery typically a better/safer solution than more field weakening w/ lower voltage batteries. Field weakening has risks. If the control faults, the battery BMS open circuits, breaker trips, etc you loose field weakening. This results in the motor going to full back emf voltage for its present rpm. That rectifies uncontrollably in the controller to charge the DC bus. This overvoltage may destroy something. IME, if typ damages the fets, they short, and you lock the motor (= locked rear wheel.) If it doesn't damage the fets in the controller, then it would try to uncontrollably charge the battery to x% overvoltage. In that case, if the battery is weak it overvoltages and is damaged (you will still also experience a large braking force.) If the battery can take the current and hold the voltage down the motor will brake HARD to max non-field weakening speed (= locked rear wheel.)

We used field weakening in an industrial APU starter project and AFTER some spectacular failures in the field weakening region we realized we had to add a 3ph contactor between the motor and controller that would open during fault, power loss, etc.

The moral of this story is to use field weakening w/ caution. Its a viable performance enhancement but be aware of the risks. There is no clutch to pull-in on the SurRon if the rear wheel locks.
  20. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Interesting yeah definitely the field weakening is risky to use and it eats up a lot of power. It's like you're pretty much over revving the motor. I feel that the 25% FW is probably the best setting to use with this setup. For the drag strip I only need it for a little while so i crank it all the way up to 40%.

I have been having problem with the controller cutting out on me and it's because I'm trying to push too much current through it. I needed to turn the motor current down. The controller has its own safeties so hopefully I don't have to worry about it. The Lite speed battery can pretty much take everything I've thrown at it so far also. For the most part I want push it to the limit and then back it off for reliability. So far the Sur Ron motor is hanging in there =) Got a couple races coming up so we'll so the Light Bee handles it, it is such a different bike with twice the power. I remember I rode the Cake Kalk and I just thought to myself if I can have the power of the Cake bike in the Sur Ron smaller frame it would be awesome and now that I've got it, it is awesome!
    Bt10 likes this.