1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes good info regarding the field weakening. Would not want to be out in traffic if the worst happens!

In the name of science i went out to the paved road to see what the moto would do. She revved out to 8200 rpm:eekers
    Very harsh regen like smdub alludes to when you chop the throttle so my field weakening would need much tuning if I was concerned about running 8000 rpm all the time.
  2. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    FASTEST SUR RON in THE WORLD!!! 72v ERT BAC8000

Chillis likes this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Talk about motor outriding the chassis...
  4. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fastest Sur Ron Squid in the world =P Why does it say Segway on it then?
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Because it's the same bike.
    CrapKerouac likes this.
  6. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Yeah but he calls it a Sur Ron but it says Segway on it. So it should be a Segway X260 right? Or there's not even a US equivalent of the X160 yet, the Light Bee S. It's like calling a Toyota GT86 a Subaru BRZ.
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  8. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think if you wanted to replace the battery and controller with a more powerful one it would be better to get the X160 because it's cheaper. It's comes with 17" wheels also so I guess the kids can ride it more easily. I don't know why Sur Ron won't make a Sur Ron with the supermoto wheels on it already. They should have one kinda like a flat tracker haha with some dual sport 17 tires.
    liberpolly likes this.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Or why don't they just ship a barebone bike without the battery and the controller...
  10. Chillis

Chillis Long timer

Oddometer:
    What type of range is attainable with a modded Sur Ron?
  11. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    It's about the same range as a not modded one, unless you buy a larger battery. Typical range for a Light Bee is around 30-40miles. I've gotten 49 miles on one charge but that's going at bike lane speeds.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigger batteries fit?
  13. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    Lite Speed Bikes sells a 21700 Molicel battery pack that is slightly taller than a stock battery. It has 32AH at 72V, same AH as stock battery but more voltage so it should go farther. You need to modify the latch slightly to fit it as it's a bit taller than stock.

My Litespeed battery with 18650 Sony VT6 cells is 72V and 30AH, fits like a stock battery.

They make batteries that are taller than the stock pack also, more cells in parallel. That'll definitely get you more miles but you need to modify the battery door even more.
  14. NatetheNewbie

NatetheNewbie TAT-Tested, Mother Approved

Oddometer:
    Just got my Sur Ron a week ago. Lots of fun! Put bars, pegs, peg brace, and a 64-tooth rear sprocket on for a little more umph.

The Sur Ron definitely won't replace my dirt bike, it's just another format that allows me to ride stealth on local trails, work on skills, etc. Check out this YUGE sprocket lol

upload_2020-9-20_10-50-58.png
    Snake Oiler and TimCC like this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just about ready to pull the trigger on one of these things. It's been a real toss up between a E-Bike and the Sur-Ron. Still not sure which I would use/benefit from the most. But I'm sure I want electric something in my stable. Just how much of a delay in getting a Sur-Ron? And am I correct in thinking that Luna is the only option to purchase it without trying to get it from a Chinese store (not even sure they can ship it to the states).

I read somewhere back that someone was charging his/her's using solar. I looked but wasn't able to find it again. I'd definitely be interested in getting the information about doing the same. Seeing how I have a system sitting in my cargo getting installed and I see it being used a lot in that situation.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    You can buy Segway which is the same bike for a lot more money.

Solar panels typically don't have enough juice for that, unless you unfold enormously big panel set. You can charge a battery which then can be used to charge Sur Ron through DC-AC converter.
  17. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    You can probably charge it off of solar, you'd need a beefy system to charge it. You'd want the panels connected to a battery bank like liberpolly mentioned that could at least hold more than 30AH of energy. The stock Sur Ron charger has an output of 10A, so 110V * 10 = 1100watts. So you'd want an inverter that could output more than 1100watts to charge the battery. Unfortunately the stock charger you can't adjust the charge rate/current like my Lite Speed one does. If you want to charge it slower you'd need to find a different 60V charger.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  18. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I returned from Supermoto USA Round 1 2020 at Shasta Kart Klub in Redding, California VICTORIOUS! Podium finish for every race I entered. The Light Bee got second in GPC and Adult Mini Supermoto. People could not believe how fast that little electric bike was haha! I raced against some chinese 125cc and 140cc bikes, XR100, and CRF230. We all lost to the XR100 because Hawk Mazotta was riding it! To date my Light Bee has taken home 5 trophies with me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the difference between the X160 and X260?

Side note, I saw somebody riding a Sur Ron over the weekend on an alpine mountain bike/moto trail. They look like a ton of fun.
  20. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    The X160 is a lower spec X260 or Light Bee. It's basically the same as the Light Bee S, it is marketed for children. It has 17inch wheels so it's lower and I think it has like a 52V battery or something. It's slower bascially. The X260 is like the US Spec Sur Ron Light Bee you can get from Luna Cycle.
    Snake Oiler and _mtg_ like this.