1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sur-Ron is roughly 2kWh. If both it and sons battery were completely dead (highly unlikely), I can recharge both off the house batteries once. When we ride on weekends that will be plenty. Van has all week to recharge if I don't drive it. At an equivalent 3.5hrs/day peak average around here thats about 2 days. I haven't picked a B2B charger yet but, yes, the alternator will also charge the battieries on the ride home, to work, etc.

No, ecus don't change the idle speed.

FWIW, I didn't actually size any of the system for running the e-bikes. It was mostly for flying RC planes and occasional camping. The 5.5Ah 6S flight packs are about 0.1kWh. I have planes that take 1, 2, or even 4. In the electric jets those are good for ~4min of flight. There is enough storage to let me fly as much as I want the couple days a week I get out. Driving to/from the RC field and office would easily recharge them. The solar is just convenience and speed of topping it up. W/ a 2kW inverter I'm tempted to even try a portable room AC in the van to use when sleeping. Would encourage camping on hotter weekends. Even 5C difference and dropping the humidity greatly improves sleeping. Having decent electric power anywhere you go changes the way you look at things. A small microwave is next...

I've worked in the off-grid solar industry for 20yrs now so am well versed in what it can (and can't) do.
    liberpolly and Snake Oiler like this.
  2. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barekat and _mtg_ like this.
  3. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Eighth-mile is a more useful measure for something geared for 60 mph top end (and less "touring time" toward the end of the quarter:D).
    NatetheNewbie likes this.
  4. NatetheNewbie

NatetheNewbie TAT-Tested, Mother Approved

Oddometer:
    this is super cool. What gearing were you running?
  5. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I was running 48T sprocket on the supermoto wheels. Tough to launch you can't see it in the video but the forces pulling me back makes it difficult for me to get my foot on the footpegs. I launch with my right leg dragging behind so if the front comes up I can put my weight on the front and when I feel we're goo and level I move my foot onto the peg. I used the same setup at the Supermoto races and nearly holeshotted the competition everytime :)

BTW I have gotten this bike to hit 79mph with this setup, with the wind its very hard (well not possible yet) to get that on the drag strip
  6. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    wow. what motor RPMs are you running at 60mph+?
  7. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    If you look in the video it says like 7200rpm. The Sur Ron will rev up to about 8000RPM with field weakening.
  8. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a new X. They're coming with pedal kit installed now from Luna. How's the pedal kit? Is it better to change it out for pegs or do the pedals provide some nice costuming for legal reasons?
  9. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    The pedal kit sucks from what I heard, it's only on there for show. If you are going to ride bike trails with it or ride it like an ebike it's on way to go. If you want to use it like a dirtbike just get a moped plate of green sticker or just ride slowly on the road with it.
  10. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Heard the same, the pedal kits are trash.
  11. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine the usefulness of a pedal kit after riding my SurRon for a couple weeks.
  12. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Ease of "clown pedaling" for the mime-impaired? :dunno
  13. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers. Figured as much just needed confirmation.
  14. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    Another fun ride on the Sur Ron. Half the weight of a dirt bike makes it the ultimate stealth free ride bike. Found a fun little trials area today.

Attached Files:

15. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    Just need a 21” front wheel, a fatter trials rear tire, and about 50% MOAR POWER
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just how good is the suspension on one stock
  17. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    It’s okay for what it is. I have the DNM forks and shock. Lots of stiction on the forks but they get job done. I run fast rebound for technical riding. Shock doesn’t have enough rebound, imho. I’m maxed out and wish I could dial more.

Coming from dirt bikes the Sur Ron is way more crude. But for a 115lb bike that (in my 64t gearing) only goes 34mph it’a fine. I’ve taken 4ft drops and it handles it fine. Not sure the stock wheels are up for that sort of constant abuse - they might be the weak link.
  18. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Thanks I was just wondering. I can understand that the wheels are probably the weak link
  19. NatetheNewbie

Oddometer:
    And honestly, even the wheels aren’t that bad. Unless you’re really abusing them, they’re also adequate.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. HadesOmega

Oddometer: