Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. mrmxrfxr

mrmxrfxr n00b

Oddometer:
    ride report, here's the situation....

- my son and I at the same Colorado Rampart Range trails as before; very dry and dusty; took the XR100 and the SurRon
    - new trials back tire, Shinko 241; better traction but hard to measure how much... certainly not worse than before; I use trials tires on my XR400 and couple of other of my bikes; I go light on muddy stuff and these work great on everything else, makes sense for me
    - another perk.... tire changes are way easier than for the larger mx jobs, which can be quite tough with hand tools
    - 54 & 56 tooth sprockets have been sold out for a while so I got the adapter and used a 55T 4-hole sprocket meant for a Honda kid's mx; also had to get a new 420x110L chain; pretty easy upgrade
    - nice bump in low end torque, it's pretty much perfect now for the stuff I ride; only lost 3 mph at the top speed!! totally worth it
    - the extra grunt makes the regular mode more usable so I hope that helps with battery life; still use turbo mode for uphills and when the mood strikes

- my boy and I would swap bikes every so often and the difference between the XR100 and the SurRon is not as great as for the comparison between the XR400 and the SurRon (which doesn't apply for this ride)
    - similar ergonomics and power with both bikes; because the XR100 is about 20-30lbs heavier, he commented -- and I agree -- that the XR100 feels a bit more solid, easier to ride in our conditions
    - in deep gravel/sand, no doubt the XR100 handles it better; SurRon's front end is real squirrelly in it
    - the lighter SurRon (and mtb suspension) just means you'll have to work harder; even with cushy grips, the hands feel it
    - still, I prefer the SurRon because the feedback and extra work is part of the thrill; my boy slightly prefers the XR100... he might just be a bit put off by the SurRon's liveliness (for now)

- since I'm much more accustomed to the bike now, I could tell when the power started to slowly fade at about 40% battery; still plenty of power until under 20%, where it drops off quickly, but just noting it
    - took off the tail light under the fender but leaving/using its mounting bracket, fabbed up a nice little drop-down fender (flap?) to keep crud off the back linkage and suspension; good spot for a cool sticker, too

named her the Black Swan

20201017A.jpg

kinda funny... the new *black* chain had so much factory grease on it and the trails were so dusty that after the ride, the stuck-on dust made the chain look like the original gold one, and this is after I've blasted the bike with a hose to get the dust off lol

too tired to deal with it, nap time now
    Magus and TimCC like this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    So I should stick with my XR100 I'm thinking for now. Lol
  3. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I have an XR100 too. I think the SurRon suspension is miles ahead of the XR. But the head angle might be more slack on the XR making it less sensitive? Will have to get them out and compare side by side. It's interesting because I'm 6'2" and look/feel like a goof on the XR where the SurRon feels small bit fits better. I also have a TTR125LE that feels more like the SuRon, esp now the SurRon is running full sized wheels/tires. I'm bringing one of the little gas bikes camping this weekend to ride w/ the kids while my wife is on the SurRon. Will get good back to back comparisons then.
    Magus likes this.
  4. mrmxrfxr

mrmxrfxr n00b

Oddometer:
    @snake.... ya, the XR100 just might be my zombie apocalypse ride; keeping it for myself after the boy is done with it; if you had to choose one bike for everything and forever...??? XR100 gotta be in the top 3

@smdub.... I might not be saying it right, more of a feeling... to us, XR100 is a smoother ride, maybe it's suspension, weight, settings or some combo of those; mostly on the front end, back ends are comparable

but do a side by side and let us know; like you need another excuse to ride ;-)
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charging Sur Ron Light Bee from EVSE

woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  6. MaZ-

MaZ- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had an BD S2 Pro / Squadron Pro on my Husky for years and it's done me well - decided to put a black S2 pro on the Sur Ron.

The spot / wide cornering pattern works great and I think it looks awesome too :D

Nuc 24f isn't far out now so should get a nice little power boost straight off, then gonna look at either buying or building a bigger battery. Can't work out if it makes more sense to do a 72v ~45ah battery, or a 60v ~65ah battery - thinking if the bike will do ~55mph with flux weakening on the 60v battery then it might be the better option as it's more than double the capacity of the stock battery (~3.7kWh).

Need to get the calculator out...

IMG_20201010_134536.jpg
    Bt10, Magus and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Short lunchtime ride

XR8UwoluSm20incwRuBSCg.jpeg
  8. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    Seems like the Sur-Ron Storm Bee is starting to emerge elsewhere in the world and I even saw an estimate of $6000 for price. Even if that is importer price and it is closer to $8000, I am still interested to find out more about it. I pinged Luna on both the Storm Bee and the possibility to license Light Bee in Wisconsin and they were unable to help on either point. Any other updates on importing it to the USA? Any Wisconsin Light Bee owners that have managed to get it licensed for street use?
  9. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, I have a handlebar bag from an old bike. Would work well on the SurRon.

We were out riding this weekend w/ the family and the SurRon died this weekend w/ my wife riding it. All lights, display, etc turned off while we were sitting there and it wouldn't turn back on. Brown, sticky, burnt-electronics smelling goo started seeping out of the motor control. :( Was cold outside and the control was barely warm. Didn't trip the breaker either. Oh well. I've had a Nucular 24F on preorder for ages and its finally my turn. So maybe this was a bit of an omen.

But what this post is really about is the Segway X160. I have an average sized 10yr old. He rode a friends KLX110 and loved the speed over his OSET 20R (which he is really starting to outgrow as a trail bike.) Though he can't shift it, kick start it, or pick it back up when it fell over in a rut. He complained about the brakes too. To be fair, the KLX front drum is horrible compared to the upgraded discs on his OSET. He can't squeeze hard enough to stop it easily. So wondering about a bigger electric until hes ready to step up to a gas bike w/ a clutch. I dont really like the DC drive in the OSET so won't upgrade to a 24R. The KLX110 is 27" seat height. The X160 is 30" so probably still a little bit tall for him. The X160 also costs as much as a SurRon so I'm tempted to buy another SurRon and lower it (even more than the X160).
    For the front end, I could retrofit a single crown fork or drop the oem forks in the triple clamps and put travel limiters in. Heck, I could take his upgraded Manitou Circus Expert 100mm fork off the OSET and fit it. The rear I can find a shorter shock, just a shorter spring and run w/ no preload, or even make a new shorter shock link. So the suspension parts seem pretty doable w/ several options.
    So the wheels become the next problem. Doesn't look like I can buy the X160 17" wheels anywhere yet. Front will be easy as I can lace any 17" rim (like a YZ80/YZ85 17") to a matching 20mm hub. The rear is more tricky. The SurRon hub is 36 hole. I found the CRF150 has a 16" 36 hole rear rim. Or even a 12" KLX110 36h rim. Haven't found a 14" yet. Will have to check the tire diameters available to see what combination works.
    So the last challenge would be to see if the cockpit fits him. I'll see if he can ride the existing SurRon. Maybe I could cut a seat down if he can still reach the bars/pegs ok.
    Or I try to track down a ktm SX-E5 and see how he fits (but it has low range, costs a fortune, and would likely outgrow it soon.)
    Bucho and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  10. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Been monitoring all my favorite forums, no news yet. Don’t even know who will be selling them in the US.

Luna has been strangely anti-Storm Bee, they will not answer any questions about it at all. I think they must have an anti-dirt bike bias, its the only thing I can think of that explains their strange behavior around the Storm Bee.
  11. snowjob

Oddometer:
    I was afraid of this as I got that impression too. If they don't plan on importing it, then I am guessing the USA has a long wait. I'll ping my local eMoto shop (https://electricfamilymotorcycles.com/) and see if he has any interest. As an Oset dealer, I could see adding Sur-Ron as a nice complement to his existing lineup if it doesn't stretch him too thin.
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Or maybe they tried to get exclusivity on it in USA and got denied. They're not just importers, they also modders, and that's an investment that's hard to recoup without exclusivity.
    HapHazard likes this.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt it has anything to do with bias and everything to do with business
    liberpolly, HapHazard and Snake Oiler like this.
  14. snowjob

Oddometer:
    My local shop indicated he did reach out to Sur-Ron and they were only interested to keep Luna as the only US importer. Sounds like if we want the Storm Bee stateside, we have no choice but compel Luna that it is worthwhile to import.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Someone is sucking someone
  16. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree! I like luna from my business interactions with them but this exclusivity and BS is holding back the market progression. Storm bee should be on the market and with a dealer network and instead it's all hush and closed door crap.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Well there is also Segway which is the same rebranded bike.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    An extra $1500 tho
    liberpolly likes this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not a great recipe for success. We’re likely to see a firesale after Christmas.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Maybe Black Friday sale