Luna cycles Sur-Ron Electric trailbike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by dogsslober, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MisterMarkK

MisterMarkK n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me know. It makes building it worthwhile.
  2. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much do you weight? That’s been a big unknown for me on performance. I’m 6’4” and 225lbs. Wasn’t sure if I’d bog the bike down too much
  3. MisterMarkK

MisterMarkK n00b

Oddometer:
    180 with gear. You may want to join the private Sur Ron group on Facebook. There are loads of guys your size who own and ride them. You can ask them questions
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. MisterMarkK

MisterMarkK n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Bucho likes this.
  6. ratdog

ratdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: Neematic 15KW e-bike
    It might be, if nothing is sourced from Chinese suppliers, for whom the concepts of engineering, quality control and customer support are nonexistent. Real Li-ion batteries, motor, controller and frame are a good start. If the outside-sourced parts are as good as they look, it may be a valid deal.

Problem with the CSC's of this world is that *every single* component is made of Chinesium and needs upgrading; if you do that, you're in Neematic territory with a bike you've built yourself.
  7. Crash217

Crash217 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    I nearly pulled the trigger on it last month and I wish I could say I own one right now. But I don’t. And I think I’d really love it! Maybe next year. I’ve read enough good stuff on them that I think it may be my next bike.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
  11. Lord Explorer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to give some info on getting the Sur Ron registered as a low power scooter in CO and getting insurance coverage on it. I was researching how to make the Sur Ron legal to ride on roads so I can toy around in my neighborhood and transition to trails. In CO you can get a low powered scooter registration for the Sur Ron as is. Just need to get it insured and meet certain requirements. I called my insurance company, StateFarm, and they did some digging for me. They insured it for liability and theft for $50 a year. They would also do full coverage for $120 yr. Both with $100 deductible. Not bad. I think $50 yr is worth it. Now I just send in the required paperwork and should receive a sticker making it legal to ride on roads in CO
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-9-18_11-32-31.jpeg

Had a little trials practice last weekend. One guy brought a Sur Ron bike. I got to have a go on it. All in all I was relatively impressed. The bike had plenty of power though the throttle felt very different than a normal bike throttle. You had to twist it much farther.

Would be a fun bike to explore offroad areas where you need a quiet/stealthy bike
    TeeJayIdaho likes this.
  13. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was it in eco mode or sport when you were riding? In eco mode I've found the throttle response to be pretty sluggish, but in sport mode it is quite good and not really noticeably different from my gas bikes. Not sure if trial bike throttles are more sensitive. And yeah, definitely a fun bike for exploring - even water covered mountain trails!

[​IMG]
    wheresbaoskee, Bucho and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  14. Lord Explorer

Oddometer:
    I love mine and it’s definitely a blast, but shortly after I got it the front and rear brakes started squeaking BAD. Sharp squealing when braking. Makes it not enjoyable to ride (unless I never brake!). I tried cleaning the discs but still does it. Seems absurd that I’d need to put new brake pads on with only 60~ miles on it
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Im honestly not sure about eco or sport. The owner of the bike was having a little trouble with riding some of the obstacles compared to his trials bike. He mentioned the odd throttle to me. After my short ride I agreed.

I feel the throttle on my trials bike and 2T Beta feel pretty similar? I dont know, either way a cool bike!

I would like to own some sort of electric offroad bike in the future.
  16. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Anti-squeal before shelling out for new pads? Or perhaps an opportunity to get better braking with some upgraded pads?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=brake+pad+anti+squeal
    RedRocket likes this.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Common problem, lots of Sur-Roners are upgrading brake pads off the crate.
  18. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to admit it sounded like the pads needed bedding

Metallic pads make more noise [but generally last a lot longer] - many folks prefer organic for quiet and they don't require anywhere near as much a good bedding as metallic

Pads aren't terribly expensive and if you can get some organic pads you might find those are quiet
  20. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, thats me! :) I picked it up last Fri on Craigslist. Looked brand new w/ 12mi on it.

I don't see how anyone can compare the SurRon throttle to a gasser unless all they have is a beater moped.:jack Yes, its smooth, responsive, and surprisingly powerful but its VERY non-linear. 1/2 the throttle twist is easily less than 1/4 torque. This is super obvious starting on a hill, trying to trials style double-blip, or ride/turn at a typ trials snail's pace (I've disconnected the brake sensors to allow the latter.) The last fraction of rotation gives wildly increasing (but controllable) throttle. Yes, This is all in sport mode. The above picture is taken at Kyler's house. I rode his Electric Motion afterwards. Its night and day difference throttle response.

This must be fixed. I have the bash plate removed and the throttle pot hanging down under the bike now. Internally its a strip magnet that rotates past a hall sensor. I've yet to determine if the sensor output is non-linear (or I got a defective one) or its the control's internal mapping. I have a couple ideas I can use to linearize it. Hoping to dig into it more tonight to test. Worst case I'll drop the coin on a BAC4000.

We've been having a blast on it. The only complaint I have so far is the throttle weirdness.