Lyons CO Riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Dr. Monkey butt, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Dr. Monkey butt

Dr. Monkey butt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New to the area of Lyons CO. Looking for someone who knows the area and wants to get out on some trails and ride.
    Currently I'm on a DR 350 so I can't go faster then 70 mph, so if I'm annoying all you have to do is go faster then that and I'm gone!!!
    motorcycle john and Assfault like this.
  2. MrBob

MrBob Back in the piney woods. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take hwy 7 up to Allenspark, look for funky little signs in Allenspark pointing to Ski Rd. Follow that road and some fun. Head back to 7 and go a little south until you see the turn for Mt. Taylor. Follow that road and have even more fun.
    For some nice road riding take 7 up to Allenspark and when you get to the top of the hill see the sign for Peak to Peak highway. Take that left and follow it to Nederland or Ward, and then down to Boulder and return to Lyons on 36.
    I used to take my KLR 250 up there on a regular basis. Watch for Moose on Peak to Peak.
    Nailhead and Rogue_Ryder like this.
  3. Dr. Monkey butt

Oddometer:
    Hey appreciate the info, cant wait to get up there, hope the snow has melted.
  4. MrBob

Oddometer:
    No snow last week, you're not really that high up there. Also, Bunce School Rd, near Allenspark.
  5. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Everything below 10K should be good to go. MSV might be flooded right now but still lots of rideable terrain, that you could spend a few days of exploring and not get bored.

If you live downtown head up 36 to Big Elk cross Johnny Park Rd over to peak to peak then do Bunce; if you're still ready for more you can take the Miller Rock trail over to Jamestown and ride down lefthand canyon back to 36 or just take 7 back into Lyons. All very doable on the DR350. Unfortunately there is zero, zilch, nada for legal Single Track within Boulder County. You'll see some on the MVUM but that area is closed.
    Lyons_Loop.jpg
    https://staythetrail.org/mvum/
    Pariahtize likes this.
  6. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. RdrMtn

RdrMtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does that church camp mind if people ride through to James Canyon Drive? I didn’t think you could get through.
    Pariahtize likes this.
  8. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Doc!
    ". . . so if I'm annoying all you have to do is go faster. . . and I'm gone!!" Lmao, you sound like a good date! (Seriously though, I'm straight)
    I'll ride with ya sometime. . . I've spent a lot of time in your area, but now live north a bit. Plenty of good riding for a DR350 dude with a little attitude.
    You might also look into NCTR for a few group rides (of varying difficulty), and even trail maintenance rides.
    http://nctr.net/
    I'm busy until July, but can do some rides later in the year.

Happy exploring.
  9. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've played up there a bit myself, and didn't think it was a thru-ride. . .have always went back to Raymond.
  10. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I've ridden through when the gate was open. Supposedly you can call ahead. The gate was open and the place was a ghost town last time I rode through. Probably during 4th of July week or Labor Day weekend it'd be best to avoid it as I'm sure they'd be busy.
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Ski Rd.
    Dr. Monkey butt likes this.
  12. Drtbkdav

Drtbkdav Now Happy again!

Oddometer:
    Hey any of you guys from Lyons know Mark Milburn? He and his family moved there in 1980.

He was a friend of mine from high school that I have lost contact with. I believe he had a BMW 850 at one point. Don't know if he still does. Maybe he is an inmate here but I don't know it.
  13. Drtbkdav

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite rides in memory was the "Rideumus Maximus". Start in Sunshine canyon and rode 80 miles of mostly single track over to Winter Park. Then back over "Awesome Ridge" another 80 miles back to the truck. Left before sunrise and back just after sunset. Its probably no longer possible now. Our guide was "MJ" and George Vylanni. "MJ" was an old motocrosser that had an incredible sense for trails. He always knew a way around and through.
  14. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Check out some of the M.O.A.R threads (Mother of All Rides), that have happened in the past few years. Unfortunately due to politics the ride from Boulder over to Winter Park is no longer legal :/ but there's still some pretty big rides you can do in the area that are on dirt.
  15. Dr. Monkey butt

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great info guys. Cant wait to get out on the dirt more. Only dropped her 2 times on ski rd!
  16. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    I've done the rideumus countless times with MJ probably at least once a week for years..and Geo too... a 160 mile loop from Left Hand including Awesome ridge over James peak and down the goat path to James PK lake and up to Kingston pk rd...so we might have ridden together at some point but I can't say who you are...anyway.... Dr Butt I'm in Wondervu and ride the whole area, weekdays or weekends...so if you wanna get after it gimme a shout....so here's a shot coming up Awesome ridge at the south end by James pk

Attached Files:

17. Drtbkdav

Oddometer:
    Hey Snowmark,

I rode it in 88 or 89 I think. I was working at Boulder Yamaha.

My bike was a KX250 with white polka dots on it. If you remember seeing that bike, then that was me!

MJ was so incredible! he could find a trail or a way when nothing seemed possible to me.

I live in Germany right now but I occasionally fly in to Denver and visit my parents in Sedalia. Like this weekend.
  18. Dr. Monkey butt

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to get out on the trails around lyons this week?
  19. dusfou

dusfou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in NW Longmont and will ride with you. Busy the next few weeks with work and weddings but shoot me a message in October.
    There's some great riding to the North too
  20. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer: