1. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy gang...I'm looking to move to the states this year or next...just pondering where I want to live. I'm a big fan of Colorado (Denver) but Boston looks like it might be an option...I hear lots of good stuff about Boston as a city but I'm wondering..what's the greater state of MA like..ADV riding wise. I've been spoilt doing a week long ride of the Rockies in CO so just wondering..does MA have roads and sights as cool as that etc..?

CO (to me) seems very much like the wild west (I'm an Aussie) ..lots of guns etc..what is MA like.?

I work in IT and can likely base anywhere so open to ideas on other states also. Just need somewhere with good airport connections AND good weather!!! Plus not to expensive.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
  2. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    There is no comparing the scenery between Maine an Colorado. Come to think when I rode Maine the only scenery was a row of trees on each side of the road.
  3. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    I mean MASSACHUSETTS ... Living in Boston area but riding around the whole state...maybe I had the wrong code.!

4. Garry

Garry Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine New England holding a candle to Colorado for adventure riding. The skiing (if you're into that) is way better in Colorado than the New England resorts. SPORT-touring riding is better out west too given the frost heave destruction of so many roads in New England every year. New England is a cool place: been there on moto trips, rock climbing / backpacking, and ski trips, but the Rockies are better for all that stuff. I'm not sure I'd want to live in Denver, but somewhere with better air quality, a decent airport, and less civilization would be nice.
  5. tjconc

tjconc Long timer

Oddometer:
    No comparison.

Colorado front range (not in the mountains, but very close) - better weather, riding, cultural scene, scenery...etc. And less expensive (taxes) compared to Massachusetts. I'd look at Boulder instead of Denver though.
    Knute Dunrvnyet and Pepperjack like this.
  6. 04478

04478 Perishable: best if used before expiration date

Oddometer:
    No you had it right; MA is the postal code for Massachusetts (ME is the postal code for Maine, notwithstanding the comment from our friend in Pennsylvania who apparently has not experienced the three thousand plus miles of coastline in Maine which would only have trees on one side of the road.)
    You will be in for a treat with whichever location you settle on. Traffic in both cities is challenging. Seafood in Colorado is less fresh and more expensive. Taxes are different in the different states as are things like water rights.
    As for guns, you are app to see more open carry in Colorado except in Denver then you would in Massachusetts. There are a lot of handguns in Massachusetts it's just that the cops have most of them.
    Oh, and Massachusetts has the Patriots, the Red Sox, the Celtics and the Bruins. Colorado has or had the Broncos and um, well they had the Broncos.
    Enjoy the ride-
    gadgettr1 and hightest like this.
  7. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Wel), I do love CO already so that's good. I'm well versed with Boulder..stayed at the St Julien many times with my previous employer..I thought it was really expensive tho..? Friend of mine had a nice apartment in Broomfield which I liked..then I was looking at Aurora which for some reason for a good review..close to the airport also.

USA has the hire and fire at will policy..which I kinda like but I'm wondering..what happens if you're there on one of those visas (work sponsored) and they fire you.? Is it straight out the door or do you get 3 months to get a new sponsor or something similar?

Off topic but appreciate the real-world advice

8. tjconc

tjconc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the total costs (include taxes, insurance...etc.) and I think, at minimum, the costs will be the same. Colorado should be more affordable. The NorthEastern US (MA, NJ, NY, CT) is notorious for high cost of living.

We're in a bit of an economic bubble right now too. So, maybe rent at first. Then buy a place once the bubble pops. Just in case it isn't obvious, the further away from the center of a city, the cheaper living will be. So consider the area surrounding Boulder/Denver.

Unless you have a desire to live on a coast, I think Colorado is the clear choice.

I can't help you with the visa stuff. Good luck.
  9. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Good advice..! Think I've locked CO in...need to sort out some things and stay here for at least 6 months then going to start seeing how I can make it work!

Much appreciated

10. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    Nobody can afford Boulder, its 8 square miles surrounded by reality. I used to live in Evergreen CO which I really liked and you get Bear Creek Canyon to and from Denver each day.

Denver has horrendous traffic but Boston does too. Denver has mountains, Boston does not. Boston has seafood, Denver has good Mexican food.

I'd go back to Evergreen in a heartbeat.
  11. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    more importantly CO puts you into much closer proximity to some great riding. Utah. Arizona. Idaho. probably New Mexico although i've never ridden there.

while there is riding on the East Coast it absolutely pales in comparison to the West.

slightly farther away would be California, Washington, Oregon.

epic trips could be had down to Baja or up to British Columbia.

overall i think everything will wash in the end. depending upon your line of work you may make more in Boston but it isn't called "Taxachusetts" for nothing. i believe Colorado has a pretty good tech sector as well so if that's your employment segment there are options.
    Pepperjack likes this.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel I got peed on today.

Oddometer:
    MA is CA with a worse accent.
    Pepperjack likes this.
  13. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Colorado mass has nothing you want.
    Pepperjack likes this.
  14. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Re-entry Noob

Oddometer:
    I work in Cambridge MA mostly in the BioIT world. There are a lot of cool jobs in Boston and a lot of non riding things to do as well. Riding just 30 miles outside of Boston brings you to New England scenery of small towns to a lot of coastal attractions. Go a bit further within a 5 hour circle and you have VT Green Mountains, NH White Mountains, Cape Cod, RI warm beaches, all of this in a short ride. Want to surf? RI and NH has surf, Want to ride on dirt roads? Check out the AMA Big Bike Berkshire ADV ride, Puppy dog route VT and others... It's not CO with the grandeur of the wide open spaces that you may be more familiar with from AU. But if you want variety in a small footprint and REALLY good food... BOSTON!!!

The negative of Boston is that there is a lot packed in a small footprint. I live outside of the ring roads in a town with working farms going on. I can pop out of my driveway on my KTM 350 EXC-F registered dirt bike and ride trails all day long. There are also 4 local race tracks not far from Boston. Track days are doing really well as well as local club racing. I ride a lot and I like the ability to go off and always find something new near me. I don't see that detail in CO. I've been there and it was a blast. They treat life different out there. People in MA seem more uptight. CO understands it makes most of its money on out doors. It caters to those that love being out doors. MA on the other hand is the home of the couch potato. In CO bicyclists get a cheerful nod, In MA they are treated like scum. Motorcycles are viewed slightly worse than bicycles by most MA drivers.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    You couldn't pay me enough to move to Mass.
    vt wingman, Red Card and Tallbastid like this.
  16. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    not to shit up the OPs thread but how many of those 'driveway accessible trails' are actually legal to ride? there's plenty of riding on the east coast if you like roads and easy dirt paths. short of private events there aren't very many legal places to ride the equivalent of 'single track' or nice technical trail on a 'dirt bike'. it looks like he's riding big bore machines so that may not be as much of a priority to him (based on bikes listed in his signature). the two legal exceptions for dirt biking that i'm aware of are the pachaug loop in connecticut and the army corp of engineers loop also in connecticut (which closes at the mere hint of rain). there are a few atv parks also scattered around (pa has a couple).

i guess the point of my post is that you make it sound like trail riding is exhaustive around the east. and really it is, if you decide you want to ride illegally and know people to show you around. this is far less an issue out west especially CO.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel I got peed on today.

Oddometer:
    I can't even bring myself to travel further south than Epsom. :D
    nk14zp likes this.
  18. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    I often overlooked how sensational it is here in Australia...we have the most amazing roads, awesome speed limits and our bush/Forrest is just lovely.

Don't believe all the BS they wrote about everything eating you alive.

I seriously need to start running ADV tours down under for y'all

hightest likes this.
  19. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many of those trails are legal?
  20. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    We rode the Maine Adventure Trail up last year and rode a lot of nice dirt roads in Mass coming back. The attitudes were 50/50. Half the campground owners about kissed our asses for staying ,on the other hand half saw we were on dual sports and flat told us that we’d be happier some place else. We also stopped at a bike shop and the man pulled a brand new WRR off the showroom floor and took the parts that I needed off a new bike to get me going.
    Now on my trips out to Colorado, Utah, and SD. I’ve never met nicer n kinder folks.
    racerron likes this.