MA to CO and Back: The Anti-Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Jul 17, 2013.

1. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    OMG. You finally finished this report!

Don't know whether I'm happy you finally got off your butt to get it done, or sad to see it over!

In any event, well done! :clap
  2. Mike Yanagita

Mike Yanagita Gurgling bloody mess

Oddometer:
    Also, too, this.
  3. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    I'm on it.
  4. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you made it home safe and sound, are looking forward to even more two-wheeled exploits, and are still friends with Mike to boot, I'd deem this pilgrimage a resounding success! I too would love to craft some witty words to show my appreciation of your efforts, but I've got to let the dog out so, congratulations on completing one fine thread!

LaDue
  5. Long Trail

Long Trail Lonely Dreamer

Oddometer:
    This has been the most entertaining ride report I have followed. Great writing and story telling. You have a gift of humor with words. I especially enjoyed the lead up to the "picture". That had me rolling. Anyhow thank you for taking the time to write this and keep us entertained.

Out of curiosity how much did you spend on this trip? Ballpark figure.

LT
  6. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...I never added it up...I had intended to once I got home...I used the same credit card everywhere so that I could capture the charges...but then I got all caught up in summer activities and forgot al about it...I didn't even unpack the bike for a month. That being said, let's ballpark it...9 days on the road...8 nights...4,500 miles...my portion was probably:

Hotels...$800 (Estes Park drove up the average)
    Fuel...$450 (91 octane)
    Food & Beer...$600 (I don't drink much)
    Tolls...$90 (Awful expensive between New York and Chicago)
    Park Fees...$30 (Mt. Evans and Rocky Mountain National Park)
    Souvenir Cowboy Photos...$50 (PRICELESS!)

I'm sure there were some things that I've forgotten all about, but it looks like I spent about $2000...HOLY CRAP! I had no idea! That's a lot of money! At least I have this thread to show for it.:wink:
  7. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very entertaining. Thanks for the story.
  8. Long Trail

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply. Wow you spent more on food and beer than fuel?!? Just how many Rocky Mountain Oysters did you guys eat? Lol
  9. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    We ate well...no fast food or gas station egg salad sandwiches this time around.
  10. Long Trail

Oddometer:
    You might as well do it right, it is vacation after all. Colorado is so far my favorite state to visit. I've been there in July and in January, enjoyed it each time. The first time was with my now wife, who I had only known for three weeks then. Oh the romantic memories. The Mexican restaurant in Frisco, Dillon Reservoir, to the cozy small hotel room (no a/c?). Now 7 and a half years later with a young family it all seems so out of reach. At some point I plan on doing a trip similar to yours, I'm just not sure when I will be able to pull it off.
  11. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I cannot overstate the importance of an understanding wife (or husband I suppose) in any of these endeavors. Without her support and willingness to play the role of single parent in my absence, there's absolutely no way that I could pull this off. And its not just the acceptance of my absence, its her entire tone and attitude throughout the trip...not complaining about how hard it is, not itemizing every little thing that she had to do without me, not going on at great length about her or the kids missing me, and always sounding cheerful and encouraging on the phone. I know this was a specific effort on her part and not just a happy coincidence.

Our nightly exchanges were generally

"How was the riding today?"

"Fantastic! Curvy roads, sunshine, and many miles. How are things there?"

"Things here are fine. We're all doing good. Kids are out playing. I saw your pictures on Facebook today. Have fun tomorrow. Be careful. Take pictures. See you soon"

"OK. Thanks. Love you. See you in a few days"

No drama...no whining...no guilt trip. She rocks. I should bring her flowers tonight.
    neanderthal likes this.
  12. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    does your wife have any unmarried sisters that share her disposition toward riding? :D:D
    neanderthal likes this.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, sister #4 is getting married this spring. Sorry. I credit their father with making them strong and independent women while setting the precedent for boys and their need for toys and adventure. He and I just went to pick up his new Ural sidecar rig last weekend. :D
  14. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My strategy with wifey is simple, annoy her enough to evoke the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" emotion. :D

Thanks for sharing the ride!
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah...I'm terribly annoying as a rule...I assume ditching me for a week is a vacation in itself.
  16. Bradlo

Bradlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR loved every minute of it !!!! Such a change from all the usual heroics and depravations!!!! Cheers!
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Time to start planning a 2015 trip...Mike is out due to a terminal case of marriage...any takers for a Big Adventure Ride?

...or a mediocre adventure ride with lots of eating and drinking?
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, even though I live half a country away, and not sure my ego could take being comic relief in one of your hilarious ride reports... but I'd likely give you a lot of material to work with.
  19. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I can't blame you for that...who wants to spend a week in an Abbott and Costello routine? That's probably why Mike hasn't taken another bike trip since then.
  20. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Bravo! :clap