MA to CO and Back: The Anti-Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hondarider, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    Well folks...there you have it...seems like a sequel is out of the question now...I had really been holding out hope for a ride to Key West and a souvenir caricature of us in pastel shirts, pedal pushers, and straw fedoras astride a bicycle made for two...that's never going to happen now...that's why MIke looks so crestfallen in this picture.

Attached Files:

2. jimf

jimf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You kept me up until 2am and away from things I should have been doing half the afternoon. I was laughing my head off and my wife thinks I've finally gone nuts.

Great job.

I gotta do something like this soon.
  3. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Nice report, brother! :clap

Me and a friend are taking cruisers up to CO this summer. Thanks to you I just made a note of the jeep ride and Mt Evans :freaky

Had to laugh about the hotel in Adair IA :evil I stayed at a hotel like that in Indianapolis a few years ago. :puke1 Iowa is a nice state though, I grew up there and it's a HUGE biker state with a lot of good down-to-earth people.

"Hey! Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa" :rofl (Field of Dreams quote btw)

Very entertaining. I have had a lot of "non-adventurous" bike trips myself, some of the best times of my life too :deal

You told the story well! :clap
  4. fasterlaster

fasterlaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed this the first time around. Loved seeing places in CO I miss after moving away. Thanks for taking me back, even if it is 6am and via photos only.
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks! I'm glad people still enjoy my tale after all this time. I'm starting to feel like this was my "To Kill a Mockingbird" as the sequel seems to be eluding me. In an attempt to gather more writing material, I signed up with a fellow named LaDue for a Colorado dirt bike trip this summer. I've never met him, but he enjoyed this story, chimed in regularly as I was writing it, and subsequently invited me to join him and his band of Merry Pranksters for a dirt bike trip to Colorado this summer. I'm not sure if I'll be able to overcome the lack of a MIke component though...I think he might be my muse.
  6. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    I missed this first time also. Blew my whole morning+ at work on it. I'll just charge it to 'overhead'. :wink:

Keep the Egan references, I got them, I know others did. (Leanings 3 is out, BTW.)

Looking forward to the next one.

Hmmm. How is Key West this time of year?
  7. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Dude! You are an amazing writer. That was publishable material. Best RR I have read, period.

I'm taking a trip in August two-up with my wife, with potentially two other couples joining us. We will be leaving Virginia to ride through upstate NY, VT, NH, and ultimately Maine before returning home.

I hope to write a ride report as well, and can only hope that I can write something nearly as entertaining as this.

Thank you,

John
  8. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:

Dude, I got it. Just hadn't read the RR before. Perhaps you could have mentioned hearing a band practice? stopping at one of the local dealerships? anything else to help folks understand that PETER HAD A VFR AND SOO MANY OTHER BIKES THAT WE ALL WANT. I think you did not stop as it would have had no impact on MIke's girlfriend.

Nice writing. Much more coherent than my writing.
  9. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    bring a razor and threaten The Dude's crew to be shaped into the likeness of Mike. :eek1
  10. Creekgeek

Oddometer:
    so much for that clean windscreen. I'm pretty sure that'll buff out - otherwise, My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it

11. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That pic though...talk about destined from the start. How long do you guys give it...?
  12. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun report. Too bad you and Mike aren't riding together, he seemed like a good companion - just get on and go.

What was the clutch problem?
  13. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dr. Laura would be so proud!

LaDue

P.S. Oh yeah, vicarious congratulations Mikey! It feels like I almost know you.
  14. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    Just found this the other day and can't remember laughing so much in such a long time. Thanks for the laughs :rofl
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    It cracks me up that MIke is semi-famous and has no idea. People who have read this report often talk to me about him like they've known him for years, yet they've never actually met him. It's going to be hilarious if someone recognizes him on the street someday and calls him out by name.

As far as the marriage, I suspect they'll do just fine. They make eachother laugh...a lot...so they're doing better than most. Besides, they've been together for something like 7 years without significant issue. I'm sure they both know what they're getting. Besides, they can't break up now...the custody battle over Luke the Dog would be brutal.

As far as a MIke and Ross sequel, I'm betting he'll get nostalgic for hitting the open road in a year or so and he'll be down for another road trip. It's not like he stopped riding with me specifically...he hasn't ridden at all since we came back. I'm betting on a Blue Ridge Parkway to Key West journey as soon as he starts to feel those first twinges of a midlife crisis or the overwhelming responsibility of family.

Of course...if he reads this report...he might stop riding with me specifically:rofl

Clutch issue is an eternal mystery. I bled it a little bit on the road and it worked OK for the rest of the trip. When I came home, I pulled the slave cylinder and everything loked fine. I read everything that I could find and the only mention of this specific issue had something to do with the routing of the clutch hose...essentially a dip in the line where it dropped below the slave cylinder...some folks were claiming that air gets trapped there and never bleeds off under the normal bleeding process. I rerouted the hose so that it is all down hill from the bars to the slave and then I changed out the fluid completely. It worked just fine on my trip to Nova Scotia and it's still working fine to this day. Of course, I've never recreated the high heat scenario where I first encountered it, but I carry a bottle of fluid, a small box end, and a section of 1/4" tubing in my pannier (had to update the laminated list) all the time now so I can bleed it on the roadside in about 30 seconds.

I really should get back to writing that Nova Scotia ride report.
  16. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I missed this the first time.

Great report and love the writing style!!!
  17. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Gonna try for a sequel...

In this version, my father will be playing the role of Mike, but we'll be driving by car for the first portion of the trip and then I'll be riding the mountain trails around Gunnison, CO for a week with complete strangers. Should be interesting.

Here's the thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032718

It starts real slow, but I'm hopeful that it will improve somewhere along the way.
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    They say lightning never strikes twice...OK..well, I don't know anybody who says that...and I'm actually pretty sure that lightning has, in fact, struck the same location multiple times...so that's a ridiculous way to start a post...but I am excited about an upcoming trip and the potential for penning another sarcastic account of mundane travel. While MIke has never thrown a leg over that silly Victory since we returned from that fateful trip, another group of guys are ready to embark on a 2 week road trip...and they've made the ridiculous decision to invite me along. My last couple trips were disappointing from an entertainment perspective and not really worth writing about, but I'm hoping that this one will be an exception. If nothing else, I'll spend two weeks complaining about the late starts, the slow riding, the low mileage count, and the cheap beer...but there is the remote possibility of something funny happening along the way. It's my goal to foster that "funny" and document it for your enjoyment. Even the dynamic of the group is kinda ridiculous...3 Harley Davidson FLs (2 SGs/1 RK) and a BMW GSA. The visual of the 4 of us makes me laugh already...them in their pirate gear...ready to swashbuckle and partake of the rum at a moment's notice...chugging down the highway on low slung American iron...and me in my nerdy textile ATGATT with too many electronic doodads and stickered-up aluminum panniers (I'll probably get beat up for even saying the word "pannier")...pretending that I'm en route to Mongolia like Charlie and Ewen...a whole different variety of poser unto myself.

It's a ridiculous scene...like 3 Clydesdales and a goofy Giraffe travelling together in a herd. Fingers crossed for that second lightning strike.
  19. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Bring it.
  20. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk