MABDR 2020: To early to talk about it?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by johngault, Dec 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. johngault

johngault Leaning into it

Oddometer:
    Hey Inmates, I'm trying to plan a MABDR trip this year. I'm hope to do it early in the year ...April-ish. Has anyone done it that time of year? I'm sure it can be dicey during the North end of the route in April.
    So far I'm solo. Anyone interested in an early ride of MABDR? I'll be departing from central Indian planning on N to S. I may trailer the bike with the toy hauler to the starting point. Not sure yet.
    DutchVee likes this.
  2. DJ.

DJ. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll alow it!!! April showers and well you know. You will be wet. It could be worse.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Cold, wet, mud, snow?....sounds like fun!
  4. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Melt waters and shower will help make the water crossings exciting for sure. Bring a hammock for this one...

I’m looking at summer time solo - South to North to end up in Elmira for a gathering. Gonna try it on street tires - make it even more challenging. That Tub Run mud taught me a few lessons last summer...
  5. johngault

Oddometer:
    Ok.....did I say I hate mud? Looks like I'll push it to summer. THanks for the info. Now to find an early season adventure that does not require mud tires. Texas maybe?
  6. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the ground is definitely soupy up north that time of year.
  7. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching this thread.
    Wanted to do the MABDR late spring of 18.
    No freaking way because of the weather.

Maybe I can do it late summer/early fall of 2020.
    johngault likes this.
  8. EdCG

EdCG Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Glad to spot this thread. Myself and 2 or 3 friends plan to run it North to South the last week of May. We'll keep things loose by allowing as many as 6 days to make our way down (detours anyone?). Looking forward to running into folks along the way.
  9. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode it in 2019 the week before Memorial Day from North to South and fortunately only had rain one afternoon. Definitely plan on reroutes but I had the Butler map and my friend had his Garmin so all was good. We also tent camped every night at some great spots. Good luck with the adventure.
  10. Dakar Moto

Oddometer:
    Did you find. It let’s maps just get you lost? Not enough detail to even stay on course?
  11. Dakar Moto

Oddometer:
    Butler maps...
    Autocorrect - sorry.
  12. BackroadsOnly

Oddometer:
    Have to love autocorrect.

Since you have obviously ridden it before, you definitely understand unexpected detours. The map would sometimes show the roads that could get you back to the route but would take some time. In one case we ultimately used to Garmin to plot a route to our destination which was definitely out of the way. There had been a storm the night before and had a lot of trees down north of MT Holly Springs.

I hope this answered your question.
  13. BluSkyRidr

BluSkyRidr n00b

Oddometer:
    How long did it take you guys to ride it? We are planning to go south to north the week after memorial day in 2020.
  14. Tommy2Turnt

Tommy2Turnt n00b

Oddometer:
    I may try to ride a few pieces of it in April. I've been using GPS coordinates from Back Country discovery routes https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/ I've been thinking I may start at point 5 on the map since that's the closest to where I live and ride south. Depending on when you head out and if I can get more than a weekend off work I could start south and ride half of it to DC.
  15. BluSkyRidr

BluSkyRidr n00b

Oddometer:
    We are still in the planning stages and have to all get the time off. Once I know our schedule I will post it here.
  16. BackroadsOnly

Oddometer:
    We left Lawrenceville, PA at noon on Saturday and got to Damascus on Thursday afternoon. Our plan was to travel home on Friday since it was Memorial Day weekend so we ended up bypassing portions of section 3 and section 1 to meet our schedule.
  17. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two of us are planning to run it N to S sometime this summer. What do you guys do to get back? Re run it or take the roads? We will be on a crf 250L and crf 450L.
  18. Dakar Moto

Oddometer:
    Depends on time and interest I guess.

In July, I weaved back with slab and scenic mostly keeping to the highest elevation because it was so hot. And I had to make time. Slept in the trees in a hammock and didn’t cook meals. Did a campground now and then for showers and social time.
    There are some nice rides parallel or not too far off the BDR you might just enjoy. But that’s me.
    Chris618 likes this.
  19. johngault

Oddometer:
    It seem like that would be a very long haul on small bikes if you are doing a lot of miles on the slab. That would suck. On the other hand, if you had the time, run MABDR in reverse?
    Chris618 likes this.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It’s about 200mi shorter on road. There are multiple ways to go on 2&4 lane roads that arn’t interstate.
    Chris618 likes this.