Mabdr any thing I should be aware of?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Oh2RideMore, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out this weekend to ride the mabdr solo. Planning on camping whole way. Any updates on roads, local establishments not to be missed, awesome campsites along way? Any info is appreciated
    FreeTimeinTX likes this.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Nice timing for the recent more comfy temps, however you might get "some" rain.

I had always assumed this route would be a little bit difficult on my F850GS, but once I looked at the website and routes and videos, it really looks like a lot of fun. Only one segment looks difficult by any means.
    I don't have any info for you, but please make a note of where you found camping spots and post back here for future explorers!
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the southern part of the route on a 600+ pound SCR950. Did have an unfortunate contact with a rock hidden under freshly graded gravel, which taco-ed my bash plate and left it hanging off the bike. But it saved my frame rails and oil filter, and a borrowed hammer at my hotel put it back into shape.

You can do the route on pretty much anything, but weight is really not your friend on freshly graded deep gravel switchbacks that also are the beginning of a sharp uphill, and are placed after a long barely-controlled sliding and cursing downhill section. The sections without fresh gravel were a lot more fun, but it seems I went when everything was being graveled and graded in Virginia. It suuuuuuucked on a big heavy bike. But, i mean, it was completely doable too. I just had the wrong tires on at the time. In retrospect, Shinko 805s handle that deep stuff WAY better than anything else I've tried. I didn't put those on until after the trip, and I wish I hadn't waited.

Charles.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Lots of pea gravel on 1-3, sone mud but it’s not deep or rutted.
  5. kevinds

kevinds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a thread "Next in the BDR series - MABDR" that has postings from inmates currently enjoying the route. It is a good thread for MABDR info. Enjoy the ride!
    heatmizr likes this.
  6. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looked for it, found it in northeast. Will comment there. Figured as start was in virginia would be posted here.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It really should be a SE thread, most of the mileage is in the south
  8. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stop at brushy mtn outpost for lunch. Order bologna grilled cheese or burger with bologna.
  9. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Skip the Marion section, their route takes you through every stoplight in town. There's no reason to put yourself through that, you can come up with a number of better options just glancing at a map.

Edit: their route in yellow is all pavement between Mt Rogers and Atkins, there's a gravel FR along the orange highlight but even going straight across to Troutdale and short cutting over the mtn to Atkins would be better than going through Marion.

20200910_091751.jpg
    Boatman and heatmizr like this.
  10. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I remember that. That was definitely not the best part of the route.

charles.
    knybanjo likes this.
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    that gravel road has seasonal availability to motorized traffic. The current route is a compromise. It allows all kinda of bikes and auto’s to enjoy the BDR without individualized special routes.
  12. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    It'd still be better to go through Troutdale and skip Marion...or just skip Marion any way possible, that route sucks.
    Boatman likes this.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Going to Troutdale you still end up on 16. The issue becomes getting across I81. I’ll look at some maps and come up with an alternate. I’ve never minded Marion because it’s my breakfast stop.
  14. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I've never had any issue taking Nick's Creek off 16 and going straight across to/from Atkins.

:dunno
  15. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Section 1 does need a lot of “clean up” or insertion of fun enjoyable roads. It’s part of my paln this fall to map a bunch of alternates. Then send them to the BDR team to review / amend as they see fit. The hard part is keeping the balance for all forms of transport. We’re seeing a good many 4wheelers tackling the route as well as motorcycles amd even mountain bikes.
    Sonny S. and knybanjo like this.
  16. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    p.s. the forest service map shows that 84 should be open year round... I'm sure it sees intermittent closures for storm damage though, just like any of them.

Screenshot_20200910-110201_Samsung Internet.jpg
  17. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I haven’t ridden Hurricane Gap yet. It looks like an option on the maps. But it needs to be ridden amd documented. Like I said, there are better alternatives than the original in section 1. I’ll get around to mapping them.....

That said....I’ve offered to take a few groups on IMT to spice up the route and they decline. Citing breakage, falls, injury potential on day 1.
    knybanjo likes this.
  18. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Here's an idea....depending on the condition you find 84 to be in maybe it could be offered as an optional "red line" route like those on the northern sections?

I think this would make a good alternate to the current route if not including 84. https://goo.gl/maps/yBjYR2zb5KFmN5i96

mabdr marion alt 01.jpg

...and since this is back roads discovery it does a nice lil mtn loop off the 16 vs just going straight up the valley there....

Then the 84 option would look something like this, joining the route on 650 just off the 16. https://goo.gl/maps/CJ1Av6eheF3REpcc7

mabdr marion alt 02.jpg
  19. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Def an option. I’d like to avoid the Nick’s creek off ramp of 81 because of all the big truck traffic.