MABDR....close call...real close

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Motor7, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct, but the closing speed is much less as will be the force on impact should it happen. Also at a slower speed you won't fly as off of the cliff when avoiding the truck.

Yeah but, the number of deer not using head lights are much greater.
    Motor7 likes this.
  2. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out west it is the logging trucks that use the whole road. I had a similar experience with a logging truck. Fortunately I was on the inside and the ditch was not too deep. I ditched it, no harm other than skid marks in my shorts. So, I try to avoid the areas being logged.

I ride within my sight line, and I am old and slow. It is mostly why I prefer to ride remote and alone. I don't want to have my friends wait for my pokey butt.

Even though I go slow, like Kelvinator said shit happens.
    We have a bumper sticker here that says the same, in bastardized Spanish, "Caca Pasa"
    mikegc and Motor7 like this.
  3. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Closing speed will be reduced, allowing for a little more reaction time in most situations. Also, one can be more focused on their surroundings when not riding with almost ALL of their focus on their line and controlling the moto.

A route could be blocked at a blind curve/rise, by something like a stopped vehicle, a downed tree, loose livestock, kids playing, etc.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously running high speeds through blind curves increases the risk of something bad happening. I ride curves that I can see through faster than those I can't. You can normally reduce the risk by slowing down but you can't eliminate it. Everyone has to decide for themselves on that balance between reducing risk and going fast enough to have fun. Personally I am pretty conservative off road.
    Motor7 likes this.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all the responses, some very good points have been made. I have done a lot of dirt, had close calls before, but this one did get to me....I'll admit it. The last two days were all on pavement. Hanging in my hammock at Arcadia NP on the coast of Maine now.

I will get back on the dirt, but I will go much slower on the blinds. If it turns out that that ruins the ride for me I'll get off that road and try another one. I really think some have better sight-lines than others.
  6. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    You need a backup alarm like that truck most likely had. Hooked to a horn button and use it on blind corners And hills. I can guarantee you that the trucker would have locked her down thinking another truck is backing over the hill at him.
  7. maineDave

maineDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent way and place to decompress (there may a potential bias in my opinion, I'll admit...).
    If you plan on checking out more of the northern part of the state and some of the paper company backroads, be wary of similar circumstances with logging trucks as they will own the road and not necessarily cede ground or slow at crossings.

That being said, IMO it speaks to your mileage that you managed your near-miss w/o contact or dumping into the brush.
    If you need anything while you're here, PM - I'm not working right now, plenty of free time.
    maineDave
    Motor7 likes this.
  8. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I had nearly the exact same thing happen, on a tiny 18' wide rural town road. Two huge tandem dump trucks came through the turn fully on my side and I had to chance it and go for the ditch. I got lucky and rode into a smooth ditch with no problems. People do not realize how quickly it happens. You have to make your choice in half a second.

My takeaway - if it helps - is that I no longer trust narrow roads with blind turns. At all. I ride where the sight distance is better and I am safer. I realized that I always thought of those narrow twisty roads as safe, but they aren't . If you are unlucky and you meet a truck coming at you, they are very dangerous roads indeed.

I wear hi viz, I figure its worth it to get a half second quicker response from the oncoming driver.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about the same thing recently. If I was on a bicycle, I would hear the track from far away, but motorcycle covers it. I actually don't like the racket of motorcycle engine in the middle of pristine nature. Maybe it's time to find an electric dual sport...
  10. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Then the driver of the dump truck would have lost a second of reaction time while he was looking around, putting OP squarely in radiator.
  11. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Same here.

I was in Acadia last week. Really wanting to go back. Stunning mountain and views, and Bar Harbor is pretty nice too. The West Street Cafe down by the docks is excellent.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was on the MD/Southern PA stretch of the MABDR Friday, thankfully the worst traffic I saw on the single lane roads was a SUV toodling downhill at ~10mph, plenty of time for me to scooch over and zip past. That and a pair of turkey hens that tried their damnedest to get right under my wheels.

There were a bunch of road closed signs on some of the gravel areas through there though, and I took an alternate route to the next segment to avoid a meeting like the one you mentioned. On the tight corners (especially uphill), I'll actually take a more outside line while pushing the bike into a turn to look as far through the corner as possible.
  13. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what else you could of done, you kept your cool and when an out came you had the vision to take it.
    It seems to be getting worse for us on Moto's as more and more side by side ECT. are in the woods, I always try to gauge the trail or two track I'm on by the tracks left by other vehicles, and adjust my riding accordingly.
    Certain times of the year like blueberry season or mushrooms, I will see cars in places where you would never expected them to be, or like now folks will be out scouting for deer locations,

But the worst is the side by sides, hell bent for leather,back end hanging out, spraying dirt and mud with empty beer cans flying out the back.
    Motor7 likes this.
  14. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around here the Forest 'service' drives gigantic bulldozers up the trails so they can close off some trail (that's been there for decades) by leveling the forest. They put everyone at risk when they do this.

At the very least they should have a pilot ATV warning people, but of course they don't because they are way to busy finding the next trail head to bulldoze.

Then there's the idiots who block the trails and dirt roads round blind corners, with their pickups, so they don't have to inconvenience themselves when collecting and loading up their fire wood.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how a bulldozer can be a hazzard, I've never operated or am aware of any that can go fast enough to surprise someone in a corner. My dozer tops out at around 7 mph.
  16. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    The danger is due to it taking up the whole trail, not it's speed.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still not seeing the hazard, whenever I've encountered large equipment I just pull over so they can pass.
    I can't begrudge someone working a few seconds of my time when I'm playing.
  18. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    It's not about being inconvenienced. It's a safety issue. Coming around a blind corner to find the trail completely blocked by a bulldozer blade is not my idea of a responsible USFS.
  19. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Its not the speed of the dozer, so much as it is the sudden stop when you impact it. Somwhere there must be a bulldozer forum where you can get a sympathetic ear windmill.

I've had a similar close call, and I thought about giving up riding after. You go through everything and I think in the end you come away with a much deeper understanding of the relationship between sight distance and speed. And death. There is a lesson here, and the OP will process it fully through these conversations and his own internal one in a few weeks.

You'll be a better rider for it Motor7. Maybe not a happier one, but a better rider.
    Motor7 likes this.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a tree, washout, rock slide, broken down vehicle, ect, ect.....

One may not be able to mitigate someone coming from around a blind corner if they're going too fast, but slow and stationary objects are entirety on us.
    ChaoSS402 and Motor7 like this.