MABDR....close call...real close

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Motor7, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even most counties put out a warning sign or a flagger when mowing. It actually is a real good idea since the mowers go about 3mph on a good day and we can be doing the speed limit of 40+. I don't think it's unreasonable for any slow moving large veh to need a warning system.

Now, put us ADVers on that same road with oncoming UTV/ATV/motorcycle/car/truck and the danger of a slow moving sloth becomes less a threat....right?

There is no way to get a warning from those above because they are "doing their thing" like we are. But, if they are hogging our half or more of our lane...big threat.

We all know this, or have thought about it. But when that 8' bumper is staring at you with no immediate avenue of escape.... shit gets real quick
  2. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with this...
  3. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Downed tree's and rock slides are and act of nature/god. Not much you can do about that, but Bulldozers and broken down vehicles... Dozers should have a pilot ATV ahead of them if they take up the entire trail. Just like a wide load on a truck. Broken down vehicles typically don't take up the entire trail and can be pushed to one side. Or a passenger can walk up the trail a little to alert on coming traffic if there's a blind corner.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absurd, expectations like that get areas closed, don't over ride ones line of sight, problem solved.
    CaptCapsize, Grinnin and ChaoSS402 like this.
  5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it in a nutshell ! :-)

Yea, you weren't expecting it, but that's what a safety margin is for. Especially on the likes of a public road.
    Ginger Beard and Motor7 like this.
  6. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Technically he wasn't too fast as he just barely managed to save his own ass. But it was right on the margin.

You assume there is going to be a lane for you, or some room. If we have changed the highway system to a " alternating one way" or to a pull over for oncoming traffic system or just an anarchy traffic system... well that, as they say, that's a whole other kettle of fish.
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The outcome of my encounter was 90% incumbent on the dump truck driver to do what he did....give me an escape route. If he had not done that I would have bailed off the edge. Looking back I should have been going around half that speed or less. Same for the truck, 10 mph and both of us could have had more safe options.

And that is just this "incident" and every one we face is going to have different facets. Riding this type of road/trail just got a lot more technical for me. I do hope my fuk up gets other riders thinking and maybe coming up with a better game plan on their lane position and speed.
  8. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    These areas are getting closed regardless. However some kid flying around the corner into a bulldozer blade is sure to act as a catalyst.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As would their limited resources being redirected to equipment and payroll instead of keeping roads and trails open.

It's the selfish and incompetent users that are the problem. Expecting the USFS to solve that will make it worse. Someone who lacks the skills and judgment to avoid slow or stationary objects will be a threat to any flagger or pilot ATV.

This lack of personal responsibility is why we loose nice things.
  10. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Meh, it cost them money to close the trails. Some of that money would be better put toward a little safety. It would cost them a few hours labor, even less if they just dropped signs at relevant places. They already have mules and full time staff to drive them.

All it's going to take is one incident and it will be the lawyers who decide who's at fault. And the fact that the USFS dozer it taking up both lanes is not going to make them look good. Fact is, if you're involved in a collision and you're on the wrong side of the road, or blocking the entire road, I'd hazard a guess you're going have a big part of the blame put on you.
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want these roads to close
    It would be a big loss to 'us'. We just need to back it down more and ride safer. If some knucklehead riding or driving something other than M/C does something stupid we can't control that, but we can control ourselves.
    Ginger Beard and klaviator like this.
  12. molochnik

molochnik Cold Deist

Oddometer:
    I came up Kevin's NY spur a week ago...well I did some of the BDR in Virginia until I had an ambulance cut me off, numerous deer jump into the road, and cops lurking about.
    The roads were nice and twisty but there is often *no* room to get out of the way of anything coming at you. I agree that it's awfully tough to see around those corners.
    At Roanoke I pulled the chute and just finished my trip hammering up 81. Pretty roads but awfully dangerous.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    This whole conversation makes me wonder just how much traffic y’all are encountering on the MABDR.
    Ginger Beard and EddieFL like this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone benefits when we learn from our experiences and put it into practice.
    molochnik and klaviator like this.
  15. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colorad0 I have to disagree with it costing the FS money to close trails. All they have to do is leave the trail off the next MVUM published. Then it is closed. No other action on their part is needed. According to their rules if it is not on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is is not legal to be on it. Their standard is management by closure.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. East End

East End Bilge Rat

Oddometer:
    In the islands we don't use horns to yell at folks. A quick two tap on the horn is a thank you for say, letting one out of a side road in traffic. On rural mountainous dirt roads, blind corners and hill toppers are preceded with a solid blast of the horn. The convention is nearly universal. The vehicle at fault in the OP's encounter was the oversize vehicle, sh^t for brains. Driving a dual tandem truck requires an Equipment Operator, not just a driver, especially on a narrow dirt road.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  17. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Sure, but they usually bulldoze the entrance, because they know that no-one gives a shit about checking the MVUM.

I came around a blind corner the other day to see a metal post planted dead center in the trail/road (Trail closed! No motorized vehicles!). WTF? No warning, no public notice. Dangerous place to put the freaking sign. Clowns running the forest circus.