MABDR....close call...real close

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Motor7, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Real world... don’t outride sight lines and always try to have an out - on or off road. Where possible, obviously.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's funny how perception varies. It likely depends on what one is used to. I run forest roads, trails, and the smaller mountain roads along the WV & VA border all the time and consider myself in much less danger than while on bigger congested roads. Though I will say Deer and to a much lesser extent Bear are the biggest wild cards I normally run across. There was a UPS truck that got my attention in a remote unpaved 2 track a few years back... Them boys run a pretty decent clip on what is basically one lane unpaved roads, but like the driver the op originally mentioned, he managed to give me just enough room to let me thread the needle, that's good enough in my book.

On the other-hand I've run across the occasional pick up truck driver that has refused to yield an inch of ground on "their" road. They are pretty rare, but they're special...
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the three days I was on it, really not much at all. I went for hours at a time without seeing another human. Therein lies the danger of slipping into complacency and sometimes we need to activity fight complacency. Fatigue, boredom(can you be bored on the MABDR....yep, I can) and a host of other mental distractions can contribute.

So, new knee 19 days ago, so indulge me a bit(maybe I have a touch of cabin fever)........

I have a related(kinda) story about riding a little over a year ago. But it was my horse and to be exact he is a Clydesdale @ about 18.5 hands and a trim 1800lbs. Anyway, we have had him since he was a colt and he was professionally trained for riding when he was two and a half(positive reinforcement only). He has never ever shown any aggression, fear or anxiety while being ridden and as a matter of fact is the opposite. My kid rode him, any kid could ride him and he is just a big giant easy going dufuss that would climb in your pocket for a scratch behind the ears.

When he was 8 years old, we actually sold him to a friend of a friend who was going to use him in a riding school to train kids. We thought it would be good for him since he is kinda bored here on the farm and loves the attention. Long story, but we bought him back the following year due to the riding school basically disbanding, property selling and owners/trainers getting into some kind of cat fight. I had been told that one of the trainers had ridden him quite aggressively and that their Farrier had used force in attempt to trim his hooves(he never ever gave our Farriers any trouble). So I knew he had not been happy, but I didn't know what damage was done to his psyche...if any.

So off we go on a checkout ride a couple of months after he was home and settled in. I'm solo as usual and I take him at a nice easy walk down the pavement, then some off roading up a trail. About an hour he is hot an bothered and wanting to take it back to the barn. Since I don't want it to be his idea(bad precedent) I take him into a big field, pointing him in the opposite direction of home. Half way across I goose him a little and give him his usual very light slap of the reigns wanting to get a bit of a canter out of him before a cool down walk back. Instantly, he goes into full bucking(shit). My dumb ass is not ready since he never ever bucked with a rider in his life(complacent...hummmm?). Out of position, and with one boot already out of the stirrup I pull the chute and bail, yanking my other boot out as I pivot off, flying thru the air now backwards(double shit). I hit heels first, then ass, then shoulders and 'Bang' the hard back of the head on very hard sun baked ground. He keeps bucking, runs in a circle, steps on his reigns and breaks then both, then heads out and starts walking home on the road. After checking for broken bones(none) I get up and hobble off after him with a nice headache, gather him up a couple of hundred yards away and we walk back together. I ended up with a minor concussion a lotta....'sore'.

Sooo, I bought new reigns and installed them on his bridal, and nope I have not been back on him yet. My indestructible years are behind me(just turned 62) and right now the possibility of a repeat is not too alluring. Sure, I have been thrown off horses before, and yes just like a bike there is an accepted risk. If I do decide to ride him again he gets trailer-ed to the trainers barn and we go into a nice sand filled riding ring, and I am gonna wear my Pressure suit for sure. But even now, over a year later, I am still adding up the pluses and minuses and so far the minuses are winning by a large margin. Over the last few years I have not ridden him enough to justify risking a potential serious injury, so for now - he wins.

I feel much more in control of my own destiny on my 500lb pig of a bike than some 1800lb six foot tall IED(intermittent explosive disorder) Clyde that might need a lithium treatment or two, or at the very least some anger management counseling :nod
  4. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Baja in the 90's. I'm on a mountain road behind a big truck. Can't see past him because of the curves, but he waves me on. I figure he's seen the road ahead is clear, so I move into the left lane and begin passing him. My steed is a Honda Hawk 400 and we're going uphill, so passing is taking a bit of time. And beyond the next curve what do I see but another big truck headed right at me.

No way to get in front of truck number 1, the bike can't do it. To make matters worse the brakes on this bike were never good, so I don't think I can get behind him. So I hold my line between two giant trucks, perhaps an inch on either side of my handlebars. Got my attention pretty good.

You ride the third world you get what you get. Those folks don't have the safety consciousness we do, and there are lots more crashes. Sucks if you're in one, but them's the risks we take. Isn't an adventure if there's no risk and nothing goes wrong.