MABDR/NEBDR in May w/ COVID-19

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had planned on doing parts of these trails in 2020.

My plans are on hold until:
    1. The states along my route have enough PPE for all medical personnel and first responders.
    2. The states along my route have enough ventilators and ICU beds to cover the projected need.
    3. Food and paper supplies in stores return to stable and reliable if not "back to normal".
    4. The pandemic has peaked and more businesses, parks, etc., are open, and have been open long enough to show we aren't making a new, higher peak.
    5. None of the states along my route are under "stay at home" or "no non-essential travel" orders.

It would be nice if a vaccine is available for medical staff, first responders, and those most vulnerable, but if the other criteria are met I wouldn't stop for just this.
    PackinDirt, ktjim, Klinc207 and 2 others like this.
  2. huskershaun

huskershaun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. DirtySkwerl

DirtySkwerl It's not easy being a rodent, we get no respect Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are all in the same hole. No idea when we'll travel again. We were just about to leave (in 48 hours) on the Southern Cal BDR when it all broke loose. We'd be finishing that ride now if we had gone. The plan was drive (from Santa Fe) to Yuma AZ, ride north on the BDR. Cut east and pick up the southern part of the Nevada BDR, and back to Yuma. My husband ("trailwerks") had done so much work on the bikes (tires, chains and sprockets on both bikes. We had spent so much money on trip prep. He had done a hundred hours of trip planning, GPS routes, alternate routes, gas availability, camp grounds. Read every trip report he could find. And then the whole thing collapsed in the last 48 hours, after months of work. But we looked at what was going on , and how fast it was changing and decided it was too unstable to go. We'd be traveling through four states. California had just shut down restaurants and hotels the day before we planned to leave.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Good dialog. From what I have found, all the group/organized camp sights are closed but one can still camp (for me in isolation or with my son) within the NF according to the guidelines for non-organized camping. I don't see much difference at all in doing this especially as we will be bringing all our food and gear from home and staying with the same people we share a roof with here. Yes, we would need to buy gas, maybe stop a a grocery store. No difference from what folks are doing there or hear. I'm going to do some more research but am definitely itching to get out under the stars.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, one question. Is the MABDR segments only for bikes/ATVs or are they suitable for a jeep type vehicle?
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It’s all public roads, so yes, jeep, moderate clearance vehicles. I’ve had no issues with my Element.
  7. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    You took an Element up/down Poe Paddy??
  8. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Thru VA not the full route. I ride/drive most of section 1 on a weekly basis
  9. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, buddy, I can't get behind it. We're all itching to get out and ride. If I can't guarantee that I'm not going to crash or spread C19, then I'm staying home for now. Got a massive stink-eye look from a state cop this morning just going out for a shake-down ride. Content with short day rides for now.

My father and I have a trip to Nova Scotia planned for late June into July so I'm really hoping that the travel restrictions are lifted by then.
  10. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any dramatic changes in the context of riding the MABDR, now?
    Any inmates live near the route in VA, MD, and PA?
    Any sense of campground and motel openings along the route?
    Local inhabitant and LEO sentiments regarding out-of-state motorcyclists in their neighborhoods?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good questions. I'd be curious if some locals could sound off on how things are going down there?

I ended up not doing my trip at the proposed time. Will wait until the Fall.
  12. WTW

WTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called hotels along the route they are all open I leave 6-11 just doing MABDR
    Cigar, jwnsc and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Any dramatic changes in the context of riding the MABDR, now?
    None

Any inmates live near the route in VA, MD, and PA?
    Yes

Any sense of campground and motel openings along the route?
    Motels are essential business per the VA Gov.
    Private Campgrounds Are planned to open on May 14 or 15. VA state parks will be day use only. I’ve not heard an update on the USFS.

Local inhabitant and LEO sentiments regarding out-of-state motorcyclists in their neighborhoods?
    None that i’ve heard or seen.
    jwnsc and AdamChandler like this.
  14. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scheduled to start in Damascus on the 18th, pending a Covid-19 test result. (just bad allergies, I thought)

Wife is asking if I have picked out which local long-term motel I'll be using on my return for my 14-day quarantine? :hmmmmm
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Dan D.

Dan D. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving to do the MANE (Mid-Atlantic /New England) BDR in late June. Getting off in Hebron, NH for the 4th of July on Newfound Lake.
  16. isjustus4

isjustus4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been following the previously mentioned FB group. Seems like most of the consensus there is do it. 3 of us have plans to leave the 22nd from Wi to ride the MABDR south to North. Too bad you are a week earlier if you go.

Following for more info...
  17. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    isjustus4 likes this.
  18. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    Did a 200 mile loop in Pa’s Bald Eagle State Forest on the Beta yesterday with some of it along the mabdr route. Rode thru both Poe valley and Poe paddy state parks and they were full with everyone enjoying their outdoor activity of choice +/- masks. Hikers, kayakers, fly fisherfolks were all enjoying the day, it was a beautiful thing. So both camping and day use are open. I have four days off from the 22-25 next week and am split 50/50 on taking the airstream and beta to Poe valley for day rides/campfire drinking or heading to Damascus on the ktm 1290 with camping gear and riding as far north as possible in 4 days. @isjustus4 where/when are you picking up the mabdr?
  19. isjustus4

isjustus4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damascus sometime Sat. Leaving Wi fri am, and stopping around Lexington for the night.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Lex is still 4hrs to Damascus.
    Wave when you pass thru town!
    isjustus4 and AdamChandler like this.