1. eNewsletter Sign Up

MABDR on an R9t scrambler

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DirtyRooster, Sep 22, 2019.

1. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The initial plan was to run the MABDR south to north over two separate trips. One now and one spring 2020. I would be on my new R9t scrambler and my pal Kevin would ride his 750gs.

Wednesday sept 18, ride from Frederick, MD to the start of skyline drive to meet up with Kevin. Then ride down skyline and blue ridge to Stay with friends at Virginia Tech. I didn’t leave Frederick till after 10am. We were just after nightfall reaching VT. Good ride, lots of miles, excited to be away from responsibilities and out on the bike. Though work emails kept coming all day :/

Thursday Sept 19, headed out at 7am. jumped on 81 and rode down to the start of the MABDR in Damascus, VA. Uneventful except for my BMWs first Starbucks stop. Intended to get a pic but forgot. We ran all of section 1 on Thursday. Conditions were dry and a bit cool. Loved that first bit into Tennessee. One of my favorite states, just feels homey there. The plan was to make it to white rocks campground just into section 2. Lots of people in the forest running dogs in preparation for bear hunting season. Enjoyed talking to one of the locals up on a mountain. Do all of those guys have tacomas with dog boxes? It was another loooong day but made it a half hour or so before nightfall. Section 2 is only 79 miles but they are slooow miles. The scrambler suspension doesn’t quite soak up the big bumps like an adventure bike but moving a little slower in certain areas seemed help with this. No phone signal was a mixed blessing at the campsite. Can’t check on the fam or work. Nothing to do but drink whisky by the fire and cook a bunch of dehydrated meals.

Friday Sept 20, we had planned on finishing the remaining 50 miles of section 2 in short order but it took us to almost 2pm. Great lunch at brushy mountain store. Nice people made for great conversation. We passed a few other adventure bikes coming the other way that we imagined were riding the MABDR in reverse. Again I planned too many miles to cover. The plan was to ride all of section 3 and stay at a place I know in moorefield. We were knocking on nightfall below franklin, WV. No way we’re we’re making moorefield. Endless rough forest roads on this track. Several sections with deep gravel cause me to do lots of standing. I stand around 6’1” causing me to hunch over significantly to reach the stock bars on the R9t. Between that and all those hours crunched up in an almost sport bike position with no highway pegs we bailed on a good portion of section 3. We will return later to complete this portion of the MABDR. We did arrive at camp past 10pm completely exhausted. No fire, just pass out.

Saturday Sept 21, had some good fun riding some private dirt bike trails. These bikes are way to big for those trails and I haven’t had the guts yet to turn off the traction control so I can feel the bike clutching or slipping to keep traction everywhere. Got started on section 4 closer to noon. Conditions were dry and hot. Lots of traffic as we got closer to sheperdstown. We decided to abandoned to original plan of fininshing all of Maryland to grab a beer in Harper’s ferry. So hot. Beer overlooking the river was a good call.

I think we’ve got four small trips left to finish the MABDR.
    1. Finish northern part of section 3
    2. Shepardstown to PA line
    3. Alternate Maryland route back and forth across the mason dixon line
    4. Pa line to finish.
    I’ll post the ride reports from those rides here once I take take them.

TownPump, bobw, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  2. sims159914

sims159914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. I’m doin n-s 5-3 this weekend. Leaving on Thursday.
  3. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, you taking the route through antidem or the northern route. Interested to know more about the northern route.
  4. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noethern route is nice empty paved roads thru farmlands.
  5. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode around 330 chilly miles yesterday. We ride down to where rt 250 crosses the MABDR. Then followed the trail north to moorefield.

It was a chilly chilly day; I really need to upgrade to heated gear for these colder months.
    Rt 250 past the confederate breastworks is a fun winding road with good elevation change.
    It had rained last night so the trail was a little tacky and no dust clouds. Perfect it it was a little warmer.
    I liked the balance of gravel and pavement on the second half of sec3. Good enough mix you can’t get tired of endless switchbacks like the first half of sec3.
    One of my favorite parts was near the end of sec3 along the river on that canyon road. Lots of large exposed rock faces to check out.
    Used plenty of hand sanitizer at gas stops. Probably my last trip out till all the virus stuff calms down.

1CF7957C-5097-4D78-97AC-8E983FC45461.jpeg A05E29E6-E1AC-4D98-B5AB-DADA67F94141.jpeg E3CFB824-C033-4184-8EBC-056EE49EF1FC.jpeg
    TownPump, ejm4 and AZ Africa Twin like this.
  6. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TownPump likes this.