MABDR Return Route South

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by MaxFuel, Feb 10, 2021.

1. MaxFuel

MaxFuel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning a MABDR trip this spring going from NC. I’m looking for a return route when finishing the BDR back south, avoiding highways and catching Skyline Dr in Virginia. I’m pretty sure I saw a GPS track on this forum leaving NY line, but cannot locate that information in the search box. Anyone know where or have tracks back south from the end of the BDR?
    ShiftHead likes this.
  2. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    Share if you get anything! I would really like the same.
  3. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    I'm not very "Base Camp" functional, and I do not find the program intuitive at all. I'm struggling to get the MABDR tracts on my Garmin 396. So my plan for our return to Roanoke VA is to let my Garmin route my by "shortest" distance, and avoid "highways", "toll roads". This should make a fairly direct route with no Interstates and few 4 lane US routes. Our MABDR is planned for early May.

Skyline Drive is within the Shenandoah National Park and the speed limit is 35 mph and there is a fee. Blue Ridge Parkway picks up at the end of Skyline Drive at I-64 near Waynesville. BRP speed limit is generally 45 mph. There is a closure still in place from Roanoke Southbound to Bent Mtn, but the work around is easy and not too time consuming. (just in case you were not aware)
  4. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year Shenandoah was packed since it's the closest scenic place to the DC area and it was everyone's socially distanced destination. The further south you get, the less busy it is, and it is $25/bike to get in. There are a couple ridges to the west that you can generally follow down. They're not as scenic as Skyline, but that might be more enjoyable than waiting half an hour to be stuck behind an RV or DC driver.

You can piecemeal together some good tracks that are a mix of dirt and pavement from a few posts here. There's overlap with the MABDR, but they might help get a decent plan down. There's a ton of improved and dispersed campsites in VA along these if that's your thing.

The TPAT takes care of PA:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/trans-pa-trail-vertical-edition.1142617/

On the WV side, the Monongahela is scenic and these are chill dirt tracks:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/infamos-monongahela-adventure-trail-imat-eastern-wv.1383240/

Over in VA, this takes you through some really fun areas near Harrisonburg. There are a few more tracks on this website that are smaller loops, but might help connect dots. Honestly I think they're more fun than the MABDR, Fulks Run to Flagpole Knob in particular:

https://www.adventurehorizons.com/shenandoah-trail.html

On the southern end there's the SEAT, but it mostly overlaps with the MABDR:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/seat-south-east-adventure-trail.1225114/
    Sonny S., HappyHourHero and billll like this.
  5. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode hwy 219 coming back and found it to be a great ride.
    norton73 and Sonny S. like this.
  6. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    Our group finished up the MABDR last Friday around 2 pm. We headed south out of Lawrenceville on route 287, stopping on the edge of town at a restaurant for lunch and celebratory pie. We took 287 to Jersey Shore PA and got on US 220 south. There is a great Inn/restaurant/bar as you come into Jersey Shore, The Gambel Farm Inn, highly recommend it if its bed time. We had stayed there the night before as our last stop on the trail. We were headed to Roanoke VA so we followed 220 all the way home from Jersey Shore. It is 4 lane thru Pennsylvania to just before Cumberland MD. where we got a Super 8 for the night. From Cumberland 220 is a nice well kept 2 lane highway with light traffic and beautiful scenery. 20210506_084025 - Copy.jpg
    norton73 likes this.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    220 is a beautiful ride [emoji1303]
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't find our actual tracks, but this was what we had planned. I'm sure we re-routed on the fly several places, and this was in 2018, so I'm sure some things have changed since then too. We started at Cumberland and rode north then south but that shouldn't matter.

Attached Files:

TeaCell and Sonny S. like this.
  9. Adventure Horizons

Adventure Horizons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked the route. Thank you