MABDR solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Brett737cap, May 7, 2019.

1. NorthernAlpine

NorthernAlpine n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice ride, cheers for taking the time to post photos and some insight. I'm looking to do it S to N this fall when work slows down, this sold me on it.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  2. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend and I are going to do the MABDR this fall. I have the same tires you do on my Africa Twin, glad to hear they did well. Your Mosko Moto bag set up looks just like mine on my G650! My friend wants to use his iPhone for GPS, but I am a little dubious of that...I have the Scenic app loaded on my iPhone with the MABDR maps, but have not had a chance to use it. Was planning on riding the route last fall, but Hurricane Michael tore us up here. Did you download the MABDR map into your Garmin? If so, how did that work?
    Brett737cap likes this.
  3. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Garmin download was pretty easy...and I’m not a computer guy. Make sure you have Garmin Basecamp and Garmin express on your computer. Just download the .gpx file from the BDR website, then I dragged it onto the Garmin icon on my desktop that appeared when my unit was hooked up to my laptop (I have a Mac). It showed up in the “tracks” app on the unit, and just navigate it by following the track. Keep it zoomed in so that you don’t miss a turn, and don’t convert it to a route because the gps will ignore all the trackpoints and just give you the fastest or shortest (whichever you have selected in preferences) between the start and finish.

If your phone apps are useable offline and you have a mount to see it while you ride, you should be able to use them, but don’t rely on a signal. There is no signal most of the time. I had the route on my phone, my Garmin, and my Inreach, just in case one went bad (I’m an airline pilot and used to having 1-2 backup systems, probably overkill I know )

Re Tires: Yeah, the Heidenau K60s were fine. I’m not sure if a more aggressive tire would’ve made a difference in the kind of thin mud layer on the ride that I had on my last day in the rain. It was slick no matter what you rode on, I suspect. I just didn’t go any faster than I wanted to crash at, as I was sure I was going down at some point. Still surprised I didn’t.

Have fun, it’s a great route!
    edgeoftheworld likes this.
  4. JackBurns40

JackBurns40 LDRider, dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    How was the water crossing? Thanks so much for all the photos! Really hoping to take that trip next year.
  5. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    There were 3 larger ones, all in Section 3 just prior to reaching Brandywine (there were other minor stream crossing sprinkled throughout the route, but they were negligible). None of the 3 was particularly deep, maybe a foot at most, but I heard from some guys I met on the trail who had done it last fall when there was a lot of rain, that the 3rd crossing was 3 feet deep then and they turned around and backtracked. The 3rd was definitely the deepest, and the rockiest. All 3 had a lot of larger rocks beneath the surface, but they were fairly flat and not difficult to get across. On the 3rd I hit a larger rock and had to dip my foot to keep from falling over in the water. The first two were shallow enough that I could wade across and check out the best line.
    Flap Jack and JackBurns40 like this.
  6. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    That is great information! Thanks! I was an fighter and bomber mechanic, so I know you pilots need backup!!! Hee! I do not think it overkill to have a backup system. I am not interested in riding the route fast...in fact I hope to find a stream to drop a fly into on the way and catch some trout. I have lived and ridden in the Appalachians and Allegheny mountains for years, though I have not been on the BDR route...well maybe some of the roads. Thanks again!
    NorthernAlpine and Brett737cap like this.
  7. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    There are a ton of good fly fishing places all along the route. I saw a lot of people casting. One of the best looked like it was in on the South Branch of the Potomac in Smoke Hole Canyon.
  8. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am from Western PA and have fly fished all over PA, WVa, MD, VA and NY...
    Brett737cap likes this.
  9. bnschroder

bnschroder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did you feel your time allocation worked? I am planning to do this in 5 days in July and am wondering if that's too ambitious or doable? From your report it looks like you had few very short days and some much longer than am envisioning.
  10. wb416

wb416 Experienced pavement, n00b off-road

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it, but how long did it take for you to ride solo? I'm considering it for a 7-10 day block of time I have in July. I'd likely skip the clay expert section for reasons similar to Jager. I'd also do Back of the Dragon again from Tazewell to Marion on my way to section 1.
    JackBurns40 likes this.
  11. Mikenbern

Mikenbern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was Tub Run Road closed? if so any trouble finding a reroute?
  12. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    How did you have your Mosko tail bag attached to your tail rack? It looks like you have it attached from under the bag?
  13. Grundieg

Grundieg n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice trip. nice photos, I like it.