MABDR Trip, Van rental

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dirty Lloyd, May 2, 2020.

1. Dirty Lloyd

Dirty Lloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings! Sharing incase others are interested.

Brother and I both live in the South. We are going to run the MABDR North to South in mid-June. Riding a DRZ400 and XR650L . He still works, has limited time. We plan to meet in Damascas and park are vehicles there. Rent a van for the trip North.

Got a great deal from Budget Truck Rental on a full size van, pickup in Bluff City, Tn (30 miles from Damascas) and drop-off in Muncy, Pa (78 miles from Lawrenceville). $107 with tax. My auto insurance covers me so no other costs.

This will give us more quality time on the trail.

There is a Budget location in Elmira NY, much closer to the trail head. However they will not accept plain cargo vans as they do not have a market for them there. My auto insuarnce will not cover a commercial size vehicle, the cost ended up at $550.

There are a few other little tricks to this, let me know if you have questions.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    FYI, Damascus has closed all the long term city parking lots for now. There are a few businesses you can talk to. All this is subject to change after restrictions get lifted.
  3. Dirty Lloyd

Dirty Lloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spoke to the police there, the lots are open. Fill out the Eform on the website and you are good to go.

L.
    AwDang and Sonny S. like this.