Mabdr

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bug catcher 04, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Bug catcher 04

Bug catcher 04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be riding the Mabdr north to south. Leaving Asheboro nc at 2pm on May 17th and making my way up there on the interstate and start riding south on the Mabdr on the 18 th around 11 am. I’m planning to be done by the 25th or 26th. Had another guy to back out on going. Camping and hotel so if you are interested going up and doing this ride let me know. I’m 57 years old and will not be riding aggressive and no deep water crossings. I will be riding a 1200 gsa
    Singlespeed92 and emxgarcia like this.
  2. GetYourOwn

GetYourOwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to miss you by a week. Heading out of Raleigh this weekend and will ride the Mabdr south to north and in a week turn around and ride it back. Wave if you see a dude on a Royal enfield himalayan
    emxgarcia likes this.
  3. Bug catcher 04

Bug catcher 04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. Enjoy
  4. ADVNH

ADVNH Jim Siverts

Oddometer:
    Is your trip still on?
  5. quixand

quixand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to head out July 8th. Looks like a couple of you guys have done the trip already. Can I ask a couple questions?
    1. Does it really take 9 days? Some of the mileage on those sections seem fairly short
    2. Any opinion on whether to start on the North end or the south end? It looks to me like the better riding is on the North end, so I don't want to miss that. If I only have 6 days on the ride, am I better off cutting off the North end, or the South?
    3. Any pointers?
  6. loosesprocket

loosesprocket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did it North to South 2 weeks ago, skipped the last (Section 1) due to heavy rain. Rode from North Georgia to Lawrenceville, Pa. backroads and Interstate to Lititz, Pa. to visit family then to Lawrenceville. Five and a half days to complete 8 sections and get home, finished section 2 and rode home in the rain all day on last day. You can do it in 6 days and not rush, would be nice to have more time to look around. We spent 3-4 hours at Gettysburg National Battlefield Park. Kinda depends on where you live as to whether to start North or South, every section we rode was great but I probably liked Pennsylvania and Virginia best.
    Tips: Don't rush, take time to enjoy small towns, mom and pop stores and restaurants, talk to people you meet, campgrounds, historic spots, farms. many people asked where we were from, they were surprised we rode so far, it was worth it ! 2500 miles of memories. be preparred for foul weather and a few detours. We plan to go back and finish section 1 sometime so we will have done the whole route.
    Amphib likes this.
  7. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time

Oddometer:
    We just finished sections 9-3 in 5 days at a pretty easy pace on big bikes. 9 is an easy section. 8 had some fun climbs on the big bikes. Section 3 had about 6-7 water crossings and was a fun day. We skipped 2 & 1 because we had to ride to Ga and then south Fla.

I’d look at the weather and decide where to start. In hindsight, we could have ridden further at times if we had read the Butler Map and realized how much road was in front of us. But, we were very happy to have ridden a leisurely pace.
  8. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Less than a week for us now. Starting the route on Thursday the 27th, Going North to South. Planning 5 or 6 days to do the whole thing to Damascus. Can't wait!
  9. Capt Scoots

Capt Scoots n00b

Oddometer:
    This is a very worthwhile stop just off the MABDR, very close to the Mason-Dixon line, it's literally less than 10 minutes off the route. High Rock Overlook, 14237 Pen Mar High Rock Rd, Highfield-Cascade, MD 21719. The view is spectacular, you'll have to park and walk up the steps to get on top of the rock. It has significance from the Civil War and was used to view troop movement through the valley. You can see PA, MD, WV, & VA from atop the rock. When I first started riding up there on the weekends in the 80's, it was always full of hang gliders. As time went by accidents started happening, which unfortunately resulted in a few fatalities. The last I knew they are only permitted to hang glide a couple times a year and must have a permit to do so. Then somewhere along the way, maybe early 2000's, the entire area got covered in grafitti, which in my opinion took away from the natural beauty of the huge boulders, but they haven't been able to ruin the view yet.

If you happen to be carrying your food and it's time to eat, there's a beautiful park part way up the hill called Pen Mar Park, this is about 2 minutes off the route. There is a beautiful view and a lot of picnic pavillions. Weekends can get busy, weekdays are pretty light. I don't know if the pavillions are open for the taking or if they have to be reserved. I would take an open table and bow out gracefully is someone shows up and says they have it reserved.
    Addapost likes this.
  10. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 Full time rider

Oddometer:
    Hoping to do most of it with a friend, the rest solo south to north September (HOPING to get to, LOL), looking forward to reading about your trip, safe journey!