1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Macbor Montana XR5/Colove KY500X

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Gustavo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    A what???? :scratch

Macbor Montana XR5.

This came up in the V-X400 speculation thread, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macbor is a Spanish brand. Sort of like SSR or Pitster are "brands", that is, they market white label Chinese bikes for specific markets. One of the reviews said the bikes are made to their specs and are a little different than the bike they are based on.

https://www.macbor.com/moto-montana-xr5-m-14-es

Something I didn't see in the specs and finally heard mentioned in one of the Spanish reviews - the suspension has 195mm of travel, that is, ~7.67".

Gustavo
    X1Glider likes this.
  2. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, due to the fact that it's mainly a Spanish market bike, all the reviews I can find are in Spanish.

X1Glider likes this.
  3. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    X1Glider likes this.
  4. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    X1Glider likes this.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which brand is highest spec? Should we be pushing CSC or SSR to bring it here?
  6. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    If you are importing from China, you would have to buy it from Colove, but i am sure they would brand it anything you want if you bought a minimum number of units. SSR is picking up the Benelli line now, so I doubt (but could be wrong) they would import the competition too (especially, since IMHO, the Colove offerings are better designed and executed). So, I suspect CSC is more likely to. I have already sent them an e-mail asking about that...

Gustavo
    Bt10 likes this.
  7. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the benelli trk502 based from?
  8. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Benelli is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qianjiang Motorcycle Group (or QJMotor). They make the Banelli line in their own Chinese based factories.

I got a reply from CSC. Kudos on the quick and responsive attitude to queries through their website. OTOH, they said they work exclusively with Zongshen Motorcycles, so no plans to add that Colove line. :dirtdog

But, Zhongshen does make a ~400cc twin, so maybe that RX3S (380cc twin) will make its way to the US someday...

Gustavo
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I can see CSC not wanting to hurt their relationship with Zongshen for a Loncin bike. Kinda like Ford vs Chevy in China.

CSC tested the twin and said no.
    danketchpel likes this.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    And of course Honda could be building this kinda bike all day long with their true motor, and crushing it...but as we all know...

Since the 500X went with a 19" front I see many building up those as their long distance traveler bike down south & beyond.

Just like the 390 ADV, someone is gonna make aftermarket spoke wheels soon enough. Maybe call Warp 9 for the wheels and Cogent for the suspension updates?
  12. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    It's not just spoke vs. cast wheels. The Colove 500X has better suspension, more travel, bash plate, engine guards, rear rack, centerstand and it weighs the same as a CB500X...

Oh, yeah, and it has the ability to switch off the ABS to the front, rear or both through a switch on the instrument panel.

Yes, there some legitimate questions regarding long term reliability of these Chinese bikes. And the designers seem to either lack imagination or simply assume that if BMW sells bikes that look like that, people will like the knock off styling they use. But once they figure these things out, it's going to be hard for the established brands to compete. Honda is so far behind with the CB500X it's not even funny.

I have this deja vu feeling. Like the auto industry in the sixties and seventies. The Japanese brands figured out what the public really wanted and cared about, while the US and European brands were laughing at their efforts and ignoring what was going on in the market.

Yamaha is the only Japanese company that made a real effort in the Adventure Tourer or dual sport market recently. Suzuki still sells the same V-Strom with cosmetic changes. Honda finally put ADV sized wheels on the CB500X, but punted on the suspension. Kawasaki? We're still waiting for the new KLR, Versys (400 or 650).

So, who is going to import this bike to the US?

Gustavo
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  13. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Esa bici que probé es muy ágil y va muyThat bike I've tried, it's very fast, and it's going really well! I'd buy it without hesitation, they're working very well, very reliable
    spacely likes this.
  14. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    orcocop likes this.
  15. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Gracias por compartir ese video. Siempre es bueno ver la opinión de un motociclista que no tiene ningún compromiso con el fabricante/importador. Como muchas veces se da en las reseñas "profesionales" no sabes si no la critican porque realmente es buena o temor a no ser invitados al próximo evento... :dunno

For those that don't speak Spanish - the official @ErÑete conclusion is - esta de puta madre...! Ah, sorry, you could translate that to mean it's really, really, good. :lol3

More reason to lament this is not available in the US. :dirtdog

Gustavo
    orcocop and rideforzen like this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd start by asking Gary @Pitster
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes that's why I said Honda should have been building this bike with their 500 twin many years ago.
    They have everything at their disposal, but the corporate machine is too slow to react and they were chasing the 1200GS.

The Chinese as fast a nimble and no doubt have lurkers on ADV and other sites to see where the demand is real time.
    danketchpel likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  19. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Isn't that a single? Different segment of the market, but just as neglected by the Japanese brands.

Gustavo
  20. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    123118764_1233983373637657_3071339624268920252_n.jpg 122052216_350020639540567_7574427422549501295_o.jpg
    danketchpel likes this.