1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Macbor Montana XR5/Colove KY500X

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Gustavo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completely agree, this is the Africa Twin I was hoping Honda would build, and certainly could at the drop of the hat. But have yet to do so. There's too much focus on the Liter Plus market, ugh.....
  2. Paulinthewood

Paulinthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It´s a chinese model 100%... mcbor only put the stickers, as otherr that buy the containers with a lot bikes to china. Not personalized specifications or similars things.... only a sticker, that´s the only personalized specification, but marketing is important.

Regards
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, the reviewers in the first videos gave the impression that Macbor had ordered the XR5 in a specification of their own. But after I found the Colove page, it's obvious that it's exactly the same bike they sell to anybody. That's probably the story they "sell" in their marketing materials and since the reviewers are more than happy to parrot what they had just read or been told, that's what you get in the initial reviews... :trp

Regardless, it seems like a well spec'ed and made small displacement adventure bike. Which so far, it seems nobody wants to import to the US. :dirtdog

Gustavo
    Paulinthewood likes this.
  4. Paulinthewood

Paulinthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Chinese have another advantage too. They have SO many people, and SO many that ride motorcycles, that even if they design and build an unpopular model, just from sheer numbers they’re likely to sell enough units to break even. That’s not the case in the USA.

Charles.
  6. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the big hurdle. They are certified for sale in Europe, but not here. You can actually find them at even better prices than that, but going through the certification process only makes sense if you plan to import a large number of bikes. Seems like an interesting business opportunity for someone that already has experience with importing vehicles.

If doing a small batch gray market import was a viable alternative in the US, I'd consider it.

Gustavo
  8. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    According to SoloMoto (Spanish magazine), the fully loaded bike weighs 206 kg (453 lbs) wet, but that includes - crashbars, handguards, centerstand, bash plate, tuebless spoke wheels, long travel suspension and 21 liter (5.5 gal) of fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gustavo
  9. gimpo

gimpo Guzzi, what else?

Oddometer:
    I'm looking with interest at this Colove/Montana. There is no play when compared to the Voge or the Benelli TRK 502, not only of what concerns standard equipment and price, but also the total weight is astonishing!
    178 Kg dry weight and 208 fully fueled. It is the same weight as the Yamaha Tenerè 700 with full tank (14 liter, IIRC), but the Colove/Montana seems way more comfortable.
    Also, it seems to have very good suspension travel for decent offroad too.

I'm honestly impressed.
    I really would like to test it, but no vendors in my zone.

Just for the sake of curiosity: it would be possible to take out a little of extra power from that cloned Honda motor?
  10. madf

madf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you have a review in English...
    TimmyTheHog and X1Glider like this.
  11. madf

madf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Macbor came out with better quality parts. KYBs front and rear suspension, better wheels too, same brand as BMW´s and also Nissin brakes.