Mackenzie Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sulman, May 5, 2006.

1. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Any Mackenzie Route riders out there?

sul
  2. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Mackenzie Highway, Liard Highway...Yellowknife...anybody?

Seeking info.
  3. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously planning a trip up the Mackenzie next month and coming back down the Liard Hwy and onto the Alaska Hwy. It's new territory for me so I
    don't know what to expect...probably lots of mosquitos. There are some scenic stops along the way where one can view a number of waterfalls. Lady Evelyn Falls is one. Found this pic on google.

It looks sort of interesting around Ft Liard on the Liard river which might be worth some stops. See the pdf attached.
    http://www.explorenwt.com/travel-guides/PDF/Touring_guide_2005/Pg%2011-12%20Liard%20Trail.pdf

[​IMG]
  4. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    That is my planned route as well...surprised I can find little motorcycle specific info here.
  5. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    It should be interesting. I traveled the laird on a SR500 soon after it was opened. Followed truck tracks thru the mud for 300 miles and camping outside of fort simpson the bugs sounded like rain on the tent. They can be bloodthirsty and persistant. Great ride thru pristine forest and if it isn't too crowded the liard hot springs are a great soak.
  6. SteverinoB

SteverinoB EstebanarinoB

Oddometer:
    Ridden the Mackenzie Highway from the cutoff to Fort Simpson a couple of times in both directions and the Liard once from south to north. Pretty much a big gravel road in varying stages of repair, kind of depends on what section they are grading and when. Just keep an eye out for changing conditions. It can go from hard to soft, look for darker sections and pick up the revs a little, and from firm to deep gravel though deeper usually earlier in the year. Would say the Liard was perhaps a little less consistent and rougher here and there, specially on the NWT side of the BC border. Looked as if the BC side had been chipped sealed but they were in the process of tearing that up when I rode it, July 04(a bit of a mess that!). A big chunk the Mackenzie is chipped sealed as well and my sister who lives in Simpson tells me they do more every year. Emerg cabins on the Mackenzie if required. Understand the main road north to Yellowknife is chipped all the way though I have only taken it to just beyond the Mackenzie River for gas. Gas available at Enterprise, Ft Providence Ft Simpson and at the Junction(where the Liard and Mackenzie highways meet. Hope this of some assistance.

Cheers Steve

AM crossing of the Mackenzie River on my way out. July 2004
  7. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Perfect, Steve! Thanks very much.

sul
  8. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

sul