Mad Max sidecar tribute build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day

This build is 25 years in the making.

For the last 25 years I have been procrastinating about building a replica of the Cyclotron outfit that featured in the first Mad Max movie.

Some of you already know but for those that don't I used to own the original Cyclotron outfit back in 1992. See this link...............https://advrider.com/f/threads/custom-from-mad-max.774441/

Ever since I sold it I have been talking about building a replica.

Well in Feb this year (2019) I went to the 40th anniversary of the first Mad Max movie and the guy who bought the bike from me displayed it there for only the second time since he bought it (see photo below) and that was the incentive for me to get off my arse and build a replica.

[​IMG]

I was in 2 minds whether to do a build thread or not and to be honest I'm still not sure but I guess since I've started I may as well do it.

Anyway I wasn't going to build a replica if I couldn't register it so I had to get approval from our local Transport Dept before I even bought the first piece of tubing.

Thankfully they have approved the build (but not the actual bike yet) but I have to go through an approved engineer at each stage of the build. Fair enough.

Things have changed since the original was built and unfortunately some of the original bikes parts/build would not get past the inspectors today and to be honest that's not a bad thing.

Now, right from the outset I have deliberately decided not to build an exact replica. Why? because I have always believed that there should only be ever 1 original, that way there is no way a replica (fake) can be passed off as the original.

Yes I know there are fakes of any original car/bike that have been tried to be sold as the original but that is not going to happen here.

There are going to be some changes that MUST comply with modern rules and regs but essentially it will still be faithfull to the original.

3legs
    JB2, WILL_S, iatethepeach and 6 others like this.
  2. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok now I've started I better keep moving on.

Now I have NEVER built a bike from the ground up before. I've built sidecar frames and bodies but never a bike so everything is a learning curve for me.

The only guide I had was old photo's of the original resto I did back in 1992 and my memories of how it was built.

I started the build in March of 2019. I first built a jig and then a dummy bike frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can weld but the engineer want's a professional welder to weld up the frame (no arguments from me) so I got the guy who welds my sidecar bodies to weld it up. He also bent the frame using my mockup frame as a guide.

I used 27mm tubing as the mockup but the real frame is using 32 mm which my cheap bender won't bend properly.

This is how it turned out.

[​IMG]

I managed to find a girder front end just like the original (when I restored the bike in 1992 it had a non original springer front end) I then got the rear wheel hub made up and placed the engine in the frame.

The front wheel is from a BMW R100 that I had laying around but I have since found a Henry Abe 7 spoke star mag just like the original.

[​IMG]

I know I've missed a few details but this is the short version :D

I then got the dome and the dome ring made up.

[​IMG]

The rear brake uses the drive sprocket as the rotor just like the original.

[​IMG]

The front brakes originally useD Z900 rotors but we all know how useless they were so I'm getting some adapters made so I can use the rotors from my BMW K1100 and will be using Hyosung GT650 calipers.

[​IMG]

I made the electrics box and oil tank this weekend. The electrics tank looks like the oil tank but the real oil tank will be mounted behind the electrics box.

[​IMG]

Now as I've said this is all new to me. I'm just a bloke who is having a go and if I f@#k up then I will get a pro to fix it.

There is still a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go but so far so good.

I will wait until the bike has been approved by the engineer before starting on the sidecar chassis.

To anyone who says that building a bike is easy has OBVIOUSLY never built a bike before.

3legs
    JB2, iatethepeach, LC8TY and 15 others like this.
  3. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Nice dome!.....:D
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff 3legs! Would you mind letting us know some of the costs, particularly engineering and red tape stuff? Always wanted to build a custom but I believe the costs to have it engineered are prohibitive (here in Australia), although I understand why you're doing this particular build.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  6. Roofchop

Oddometer:
    Is it not cheaper to get the correct discs for the wheel rather than having adapters made?

Also as you're talking to an engineer are you going to register it?

If so it will be farking expensive!

A mate had a chopper engineered and it was many thousands for engineering (can't remember but lots of $$$)

Carry on!
    flinders_72 likes this.
  7. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day

It's not going to be cheap but as I'm doing most of the work it helps soften the blow.

The engineer costs in total will be around $2500. He liaises with the Dept of Transport, confirms with them any modifications that is required (like the disc adapters) and then inspects it at each stage to make sure everything is legal and correctly welded/fabricated. He doesn't actually do any work on the bike.

After that it's all up to you how much you want to spend. I'm not going to guess right now how much it's going to cost as I don't want the missus to know :lol3:lol3:lol3 (although I suspect she already does:lol3).

The correct discs for the wheel are Kawasaki Z1 900 discs and for those of us who have owned Z900's before know how useless they are :D. I want to be able to stop. The original brakes when I had it were horrendous.

I already had a Honda CB750 that I bought years ago for $1200 that I was going to restore so I've used that as the donor bike.

The paint job and chroming is going to cost the most. I've been in contact with the guy who painted it for me when I restored it back in 1992 to see if he will paint this one. He's a bit reluctant (not sure why) but he hasn't said no yet.

I've probably spent about $5k so far which includes just about everything (headlight, blinkers, speedo etc etc etc).

3legs
    JB2, sidetrack one, Pezz_gs and 2 others like this.
  8. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have this sitting in my brother's shed, been there since 1989, waiting for me to blast all the rust off it. It's a Suzuki, so not a MM bike, but the fairing will be familiar.

GSX750Eb.jpg
    sidetrack one likes this.
  9. Roofchop

Oddometer:
    That is cheap for the engineering! Will it be classed as an ICV (individually constructed vehicle) ?

If so the costs are near $20k in NSW for a car and a bit less for a bike. (They do torsional tests on the chassis/frame etc)

My mate with the chopper had to rent time at QLD raceway and perform brake tests, including rigging up a water bottle to drip water on the disc/caliper to test wet weather brake tests!!! Among loads of other s**t....
    flinders_72 likes this.
  10. 3legs

Oddometer:
    I did hear the same thing about renting a raceway to test brakes but I think the engineer said that they can do a rolling road test. I will need to confirm that.

BTW a lot of the parts on the original bike are not legal these days.

As the bike will be classified as a 2019 model motorcycle it must comply with current ADR's regardless of how old the motor is.

The XP tail lights are not legal and I can't use those. Aftermarket blinkers you usually buy from the bike shop aren't legal as well (there is a but). Even most aftermarket headlights aren't legal (another but).

BUT they are legal if they are "E" marked and most aftermarkets items are not "e" marked and would not be legal.

I bought a set of excellent quality billet forward controls which the engineer said were not legal because the master cylinder did not have a warning sticker on the lid. That was an easy fix................sort of.

I found the right shape sticker on ebay from the states for $5 USD however they wanted nearly $100 AUD for postage for a sticker not much bigger than a postage stamp. So I ended up getting a mate here in South Oz to make 2 stickers up for $10 each. All legal now.

As Roofchop said it would have been easier (not necessarily cheaper) to get original Z900 discs however I doubt they would pass modern day braking standards.

Handlebars. You'd be surprised at how many aftermarket handle bars especially the high bars you see on some Harleys that are not legal.

Forget extended forks beyond approx 5-6 inches. My front axle cannot be more than 550 mm from the centre of the headstem (run a plumb bob from the centre of the headstem down to the ground then measure forward 550 mm).

I can't route the exhausts like the originals under the sidecar body unless I raise the height of the frame which wouldn't look right. Nothing can be below the wheel rims so if I run on a flat tyre nothing will hit the ground.

The 2 chrome fuel tanks on the rear of the original bike are no longer legal although I could use dummy tanks for show only however I've decided that the exhaust will run inside the sidecar and exit where the bottom tank would have been.

Note there will be no provisions for a passenger in the sidecar. It will be taken up by the exhaust, battery and possibly a fuel cell as the gravity tank only takes 7 litres.

So as you can see to build a replica that can be registered (I could build an exact replica but could never ride it legally) is basically impossible however as I mentioned before it was never my intention to build an exact replica.

I think you will like the differences that I have/will made especially the exhaust. To the untrained eye it will still look like the original (mostly:lol3).

3legs
  11. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Finished the oil tank (after a few f@#kups) and tack welded the "grille"

Still waiting on the rotor adapters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2, WILL_S, Richarde1605 and 7 others like this.
  12. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    This should be a joy to watch. Keep the good photos coming.
    3legs likes this.
  13. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on the disc adapters. I've managed to catch up on doing some small stuff like the dome hinge but until I get the disc adapters the build has stalled.

Yes I could do a lot of other stuff like forward controls etc but they can't be done until the exhaust has been made and I can't get the exhaust done until the front end has been completed and when everything (so far) has been approved by the engineer.

Once the front end is finished and (the bike minus the sidecar) approved then things will start to move rapidly. Unfortunately I'm at the mercy of other people at the moment.

Note, the original dome was hinged at the rear and raised by using an electric radio aerial. I bought a cheap electric aerial but it was not powerful enough to raise the dome plus I never liked it being raised from the rear so I'm going to have the dome raised from the front and will use a linear actuator to raise the dome.

I gotta tell ya that the guys who built the original were truly inspired people and a lot of thought went into the original build. I spend half my time trying to work out how they built it. Sometimes I think, f@#k me what drugs were they on, then sometimes it finally clicks in my brain and I think, ahh that's why they did that:lol3:lol3:lol3

3legs
    JB2, Pezz_gs, Fast Idle and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex :wave

Can you not reinstall the XP tail lights after it’s engineered?

They sure look the goods :thumb
  15. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day Pezz

Yeh I did think of that but not as easy as it sounds. The XP lights require a big hole cut to make them fit where as the LED lights only need 2 x 6mm holes.

Also I dare say that once it's registered I will get the local constabulary keeping a keen eye on me ( I certainly won't be blending into the crowd :lol3) and pulling me over to try and defect me so I don't want to give them an excuse to do so.

I will be carrying approval papers with me every time I take it out.

The LED lights i'm using look like 1968 Falcon XT lights (sort of :lol3)

[​IMG]
    JB2, Pezz_gs and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on disc adapters. Managed to get a few other things done. I made the dome lift mechanism and it works well.

I wish I took more notice of my Geometry class:lol3.

Had to use long dormant brain cells to work the correct angle and length to get the right stroke length.

It's not pretty but once I've cleaned it up and chromed it should look ok besides no one will see it anyway as it's hidden behind the bodywork.

Note, the wiring on the switch is only temporary. Those were just to test it. It will be a lot better.

[​IMG]
    larryboy and Pezz_gs like this.
  17. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Really is annoying waiting on other people. It is what it is.

Got some other stuff done today. Decided to setup a guide for the sidecar. Everything will be worked around the one angle, the bar that comes from the frame.

Now that has been established I can now bend the rest and have it ready when the bike frame has been approved.

[​IMG]
    JB2, Amphib, WILL_S and 5 others like this.
  18. 3legs

Oddometer:
    I hate electrics:baldy:baldy:baldy

In the words of Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.
    JB2 likes this.
  19. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer: