Mad Max sidecar tribute build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to see the progress! :thumb
  2. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made the front brake calipers mounts today and tack welded them to the forks.

The forks and bike frame is going to the welder on Monday to get some more bits and pieces professionally welded and then it will become a rolling chassis ready for inspection (bike only at the moment).

I have cut and notched the sidecar chassis and will get that welded up as well on Monday. I wont weld the sidecar chassis to the bike frame until after the inspection and once that's done it will be full steam ahead and I can make the body frame and have it on 3 wheels.

Then it's time to put the engine in and get an exhaust made.

I'm going to take the rotor adapters back to get them shaped to look like a 6 pointed star (if that makes sense). Will be trimming some metal off the brake caliper to tidy it up.

Fun times ahead:D

Later

3legs

[​IMG]
    mrsdnf, larryboy, JimVonBaden and 5 others like this.
  3. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Well the bike is at the welders, the wheel is at the polishers and the good news is that I spoke to the engineer and he doesn't need to see the bike in person until it's almost finished.

I just have to send detailed photos every so often and unless he see's something he's not happy with, all is good.

So if all goes well this time next week it will be on 3 wheels.

Then I will strip it and start on the body frame and will send off bits a pieces to be chromed and or polished.

I'm sending bits to be chromed/polished in small doses so I don't get a massive one off dollar hit and gives me time to save for each step.

Painting on the other hand, well that's going to hurt:lol3
  4. 3legs

Oddometer:
    It's starting to take shape.

Bike frame and sidecar chassis all welded up and now the two are joined (tack welded).

A few more cross braces then I can start on the body frame and then it's on 3 wheels.

[​IMG]
    larryboy, mrsdnf, Pezz_gs and 5 others like this.
  5. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Got the front wheel and the rear wheel hub back from the polishers today and put a period correct front tyre on.

I've decided to buy some new discs rather than use my old ratty discs. I figured by the time I buy new buttons/boobins and chrome some parts as well as getting the disc grinded it would be just as cheap to get new ones plus I reckon I was right on the wear limit anyway. Also keeps the engineer happy:D

[​IMG]
    larryboy, Roofchop, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Got a lot done today. Sidecar chassis has been made (only tack welded at the moment).

You can now see the basic shape of the original.

Will get stuck into the body frame next.

Once that's done will get it on 3 wheels, put the motor in and get the exhaust made.

3legs

[​IMG]
  7. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Smashin it:super
    3legs likes this.
  8. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day

Well I've come across my first major hurdle.

I've made the sidecar not wide enough by 110 mm.

When I made it the sidecar chassis it looked right and the rear frame matched the width.

It was only when I did a dummy fuel tank and put the exhaust tips on that I realised it wasn't wide enough.

Now remember I'm trying to measure a 2 m plus bike from a 30 cm photo. It's not easy but for the most part I got it pretty close. If I had the original bike near by it would not be an issue but I don't.

Also I'm trying to make the whole bike stronger than the original so I'm doing things that I've learnt from building outback sidecars so it doesn't break the moment I take it for it's first ride. Plus I want to keep the engineer happy. Be stuffed if I want to start all over again. I want to get this right the first time.

Don't get me wrong the original bike was strong enough but I like to over engineer my outfits just to be safe.

Widening the sidecar is easy however it then creates all sorts of issues with other mounts.

Widening the front is easy but not the rear due to the sidecar wheel axle mount.

I could just make the sidecar stub axle 110 mm longer but that will put undue stress on the axle mount.

I've sent an email to the engineer to get his advice.

Will see how we go.

There is still a lot more to do so it hasn't set me back.

3legs
  9. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Where's the original now ?
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugger, but I am sure you will find a way.
  11. 3legs

Oddometer:
    The original bike is in Sydney.

I know who the owner is and how to contact him but he likes his privacy and I respect that so I won't bother him.

To be honest I was surprised and how well I was going with the build and I expected a lot more problems so I'm not really that pissed off.

Because I only have photos of the outside and my memories of when I restored the original I'm taking a guess at how the sidecar frame was made so it doesn't surprise me that it would come up with a problem with the chassis.

I'm using my experience of building outback sidecars to figure out how the original was done. I know it's not the same but the outcome (eventually) will be.

It's an easy fix and it doesn't really slow the build down but I just need to get approval from the engineer on how I want to fix it.

If you look at the photo you can see the 2 tubes that are vertical at the rear. That is where the rear body frame, dummy fuel tank and exhaust tips bolt to but notice how close the sidecar wheel is bolted to the LHS of the chassis.

Now look at the photo of the original. I didn't allow for the same gap as the drive wheel to the RHS of the sidecar chassis. On a normal sidecar that's not an issue but on this one, well it is an issue.

It also meant that the rear body frame would be shorter on the LHS that the RHS.

Rookie mistake so I have to wear that:lol3

3legs

upload_2019-9-1_7-54-40.png

upload_2019-9-1_7-59-56.png
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The picture of the original makes it obvious, now that you pointed it out.
    3legs likes this.
  13. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Yes it does doesn't it :lol3

I'm surprised I didn't figure that out before hand. Old habits building normal outfits I guess:D
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. 3legs

Oddometer:
    While i'm at it I want to get your opinions on something I've been thinking about.

Have a look a the photo above of the original paint job on the rear panel that looks like there are tentacles streaming out from a dying planet.

I'm thinking of changing this as a tribute to the mad max movie to a scene from Mad Max 1 where Nightrider gets killed in the explosion at the start of the movie.

upload_2019-9-1_17-8-15.png

So instead of "tentacles' it would be 44 gallon drums flying through the air with flames streaming from them like the pic attached.

What do you think?

3legs
    DiggerD, tomo8r, WILL_S and 5 others like this.
  15. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might not be the greatest trike in the world, it's a tribute.

You have to use other lights, so you can change the paintscheme as you wish, I like the idea :-)
    JimVonBaden and 3legs like this.
  16. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic work so far.
    In all honesty I never much liked that bike to start with ;) (I did really enjoy the old Mad Max movie though) ... but were not here to debate personal tastes .

But frankly that is a damn fantastic build you're doing, and I'm keen to see more!!

keep the excellent work coming, please ;)

Doing custom bikes from scratch here is about as difficult as it gets from a getting-it-road-legal point of view... hope you'll get it through the testing in your country "easy enough".
    Richarde1605 and 3legs like this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Australia is pretty tough on compliance with weird rules, I think that there would be problems getting a Monotracer for example on the road here.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  18. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I still hope @3legs is able to get it road legal.... it would be a shame not to ride it out and about, after all the work he's put into it.

I helped a friend of mine couple of years ago build up am old HD sportster that had seen a haphazard hard-tail assembly back by the last owner...
    we had to re-weld and re-build parts of the frame, and a ton of other things.
    and despite the fact that the bike had already previously been imported to switzerland, despite it's age, it was an pretty tough challenge to get it road legal again.
    Starting with a non-existant frame number, noise levels, etc... And this was with a sort of "standard" bike.
    I've heard first person accounts of complete custom builds unless you're a pro with his registered/tested basic frames etc, that it can be an utterly expensive nightmare.

There's exactly one person in a monotracer btw, I've seen in all the years living here ;) But yes, apparently you are allowed to put them on the road here ;)

anyhow good luck to @3legs
    flinders_72 and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you EastRoad, I have had a few k100's. Hence the tracer thoughts :-)
    I absolutely want this to work out, obviously not the original, nor identical, but a modern, and recognizable homage to the 'original' which the tripod already rebuilt non 'standard' anyway!
    Fast Idle likes this.
  20. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day

Well the frame is pretty well done. It's all tack welded ready for the welder.

The dome mechanism works beautifully.

You can see the basic shape now. There is still a lot to do like gussets, exhaust and sheet metal but at least it's almost a roller.

I still haven't figured out my sidecar axle problem (haven't heard back from the engineer yet).

Here are some pictures. Note the first reveal of how the exhaust is going to be. The dummy tank and exhaust are just sitting there to make sure it looks right.

upload_2019-9-5_14-13-42.png

upload_2019-9-5_14-12-47.png

upload_2019-9-5_14-14-58.png