Mad Max sidecar tribute build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 3legs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. 396

396 low-post lurker

Oddometer:
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @3legs How did you originally get the engineer involved? Did you go to him with a detailed, paper (drawings/photos) plan of what you wanted to do or just a general plan that was in your head?

Obviously he's also advising you the right way to do things instead of just saying yes and no, you can and can't do that?
  3. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't responded. Been away for a couple of days.

Thanks for that link. I have seen that drawing before.

I knew to get the bike registered I had to have an approved engineer to check things out. I just googled my State Govt Dept of Transport and they had a list of approved engineers (there are 5 from memory in my state)

I just went to the closest.

I submitted a detailed plan to the engineer of what I wanted and what parts I intend to use (with pictures) . It helped that a bike like I wanted had already been built before and the fact that bike had already been registered in my name in the past certainly helped.

He then submitted my plan to the Dept of Transport who then approve or disapprove of the build and if they approve, any conditions that must be met are listed.

I pretty well just ask him this is what I want to do and he says yes or no and if yes what rules apply to that part eg: the front blinkers must not be closer than 240mm to each other.

He will inspect it at certain stages to check for welds, measurements (like the blinkers) etc and if he is happy he then gives me the go ahead to go to the next stage which in my case will be after the sheet metal is on.

I have to admit I have heard of horror stories from the past about the engineers and how they can be very dictatorial but the engineer I have been using is fantastic.

He has suggested ways to get around issues that are legal and as long as you don't try to bullshit him and do exactly as he says you will be fine. Remember these guys are not stupid and would have seen and heard all the bullshit stories before and as I want this bike to be completely legal without any going backwards and forwards with amending things I've already fabricated I will do exactly as I'm told with this build.

I had a word with a painter on Wednesday and he has given me a worst case scenario quote and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I won't say what it was but it certainly was much less than five figures.

I liked what he's done in the past on bikes. I'm still waiting on word from another painter I have contacted before I decide which one to go with.

Will get stuck into it on Monday.

Bathurst is on tomorrow and have told the missus and kid the TV is mine:lol3:lol3:lol3
  4. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great info thanks 3legs. Always thinking about building a custom of my own (maybe even electric) but costs here (Vic) can be horrendous, as you well know. I think I'll get in touch with someone local and at least test the water.
  5. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Not sure of the rules in Vic. The ADR rules would be the same but the build requirements are probably different.

The rules for bike builds are definitely different that the rules for cars are here in SA.

If they are anything like our rules then you should have a go.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  6. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Question time guys/gals.

I've got a list of Dept of transport regulations that must be applied to this build and I've covered pretty well all of them however they want me to put on a mechanically operated parking brake that is independent of the front and rear brake.

Now, I know that this is a requirement but I've never used one in the past as I've never needed it. I just put it in gear or tie a rubber band to the handlebar lever.

I don't want to put a sidecar brake on.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo any suggestions, with photo's or links if possible please. Note the rules doesn't state that there has to be another caliper therefore one could just make a solid pin that can be pushed via a cable through the rear sprocket. Crude but effective however I'm not really sure the engineer would like that:lol3

Anyway I made a seat hump but I wasn't happy with it (too many small dents shaping it) so I've given the template to a bender who also does laser cutting to bend and cut one up for me. They will also laser cut some headstem gussets for me as well.

3legs
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    How about using a rear brake caliper from a small car? Choose wisely and you should be able to find something in aluminium suited for solid discs.

This is an example from an Audi A1:

[​IMG]

You will of course need to build a mount and probably a spacer for the pads (standard disc thickness is 8mm from memory), but it includes an independent mechanical actuator for a parking brake. Most of the VAG small cars use the same caliper (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda), but if you care about weight, be careful to choose one in aluminium as they're also available in steel.

Cheers... Paul
    Richarde1605, scot_douglas and 3legs like this.
  8. 3legs

Oddometer:
    I like it but the only problem is I don't have a separate rear brake disc. The sprocket is also the brake disc and that already has a caliper on it and therefore no more room.

Still I will have another look and see if I can somehow make it fit.

Cheers

3legs
  9. steam powered

steam powered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will probably find that the engineer requires it to be mechanically operated as well. I am reasonably certain that Aus, like NZ, doesn't allow hydraulic hand brakes. SOP is a go kart cable operated caliper on the rear disk to a car handbrake lever. It will be smaller than most so has the greatest chance of fitting.
  10. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. This caliper is hydraulic for normal brake operation AND has a cable operated handbrake. Throw away your existing rear caliper 3legs, and replace it with this one. Job done.

I seem to remember there may be something even better for some of the super-scoots that we get in Europe...

Yes, look for Suzuki Burgman 400 rear caliper and you'll see stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Again, that's hydraulic operation for the usual brake AND cable operation for the handbrake. This is likely lighter, probably has a piston size somewhere close to what you really want, and is certainly sized for a moto type disc.

Incidentally, if you want a tiny and totally separate mechanical caliper for the handbrake (probably not as you say you have no space), look at the one you get on a Yamaha Tmax.

Another solution is the rear caliper from a utility quad. Here's an example which can be had for not much money: https://www.amazon.com/BRAKE-CALIPER-YAMAHA-RHINO-2004-2007/dp/B07FDTZQ2D

... and even cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2R9Q6...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Cheers... Paul
    3legs and scot_douglas like this.
  11. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Cool. Not a bad idea. I will have to confirm with the engineer if that type of caliper is ok but I cant see why not.

Only concern will be the width between the pads. As i'm using the rear sprocket as the disc it is a lot wider than a normal disc and may not fit.

I will do some research.

Thanks guys/gals

3legs

Just noticed the go kart caliper. That is wide enough therefore should work. Cheers
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  12. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok been doing some research and the Yamaha T-max caliper maybe the way to go if I cant use a combination hydraulic/cable caliper (thanks Tinwelp).

Need to wait for engineers advice.
  13. 3legs

Oddometer:
    As I can't do much at the moment until I get the seat hump back and more advice from the engineer I decided to do some panel work.

Done 2 of the top panels and 1 of the panels on the RHS of the bike.

The hole in the left panel (on the photo) is the access hole for the oil tank cap.

I won't tack weld the panels other than the seat panel ( so I can sit on it to get forward control measurements ) until everything has been done as in forward controls, exhaust, electrics etc, etc, etc.

Sending off some items to be chromed on Monday. Doing it in small doses so I don't get hit with one big bill.

[​IMG]
  14. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Just got word back from the engineer and the hydraulic/cable parking brake is ok to use so will go ahead and find one. Will probably be more powerful that the brake caliper I was going to use anyway so a win win all round.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

3legs
  15. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that mock up exhaust made from soft copper and closed cell foam insulation? (I have been in the HVAC business for nearly 30 years). I like the idea!.
    scot_douglas likes this.
  16. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Yep certainly is. Worked well.
    villageidiot likes this.
  17. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lest you be considered a one trick pony when it comes to movie outfits, you should do the outfit from Stone next.

:hide

[​IMG]
    Richarde1605 and 3legs like this.
  18. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Nah too easy :lol3:lol3:lol3
    Richarde1605 and tomo8r like this.
  19. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Ok update.

I'm STILL waiting for the seat hump. I hate businesses that tell you that will have the job done in a couple of days. Well here we are 2 weeks later and still nothing. I dropped in last Friday arvo and they hadn't even started on it. It's just a laser cut and 1 bend FFS. As he said they just scan the template I gave them and the computer does the rest. I get that they probably have bigger jobs than mine but at least give me a time frame that takes that into account. If they weren't so close I'd go elsewhere.

Anyway rant over. I feel better now:D

The upside is that I have managed to do most of the sheetmetal work. I won't tack weld them until everything else has been done.

I also received the rear brake caliper that Paul (Tinwelp) suggested and it fits perfectly and the "hand" brake works perfectly as well.. Just have to make a mounting bracket for it.

Also it turns out I need a marker/position/running light on the sidecar that must be e-marked. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a LED strip light that is actually e-marked. The ad for the light tells you they are ADR/ECE compliant but they are not actually e-marked as such on the actual product which therefore makes it illegal or at least won't pass inspection.

At the moment I'm not going to do the same running light that was on the original however if i'm not happy with the strip light I may go that way.

Be careful when ordering e-marked lights and make sure they ARE e-marked before buying. Even the one I found wasn't e-marked but was SAE and DOT marked which the engineer said should be fine.

Below is what should be marked on the lights. E plus whatever number is applicable to the light.

Check your bike lights and they should have them (if it's a reasonably new bike).

upload_2019-10-30_14-19-47.png

Anyway once I have the seat hump back I can make some forward control mounts and then get the exhaust made.

I was hoping to have the bike ready for paint by the end of the year but waiting for other people has/will push that out.

Later

3legs
  20. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Finally got the seat hump and head stem gussets.

Very happy with them. The seat hump will need some minor adjustments (which I knew it would) and once done will be a perfect fit.

I've given them the template for the main front sheet of the sidecar (that wraps around the engine) to laser cut.

Turns out it would be cheaper for them to do it than for me to buy a sheet, cut it in half (to fit in my car or I would have to hire a trailer) then cut the shape myself.

This time he said it will be ready by the end of next week. Lets see how we go this time:D

I've almost finished the rear brake caliper mount but I had to get out of the shed. Too bloody hot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: