MAD TATer 2019 - a Trans America Trail journey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DragonJoe, Jul 4, 2019.

1. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know

Oddometer:
    91748B43-213A-4B80-ADFE-DA8057AC17E4.jpeg Many are called, but few have chosen.
    Me and 5 other strangers have answered the siren call of the TAT for 2019 sent out last year by @fjmartin. He has started a RR found here , https://advrider.com/f/threads/trans-america-trail-2019-6-strangers-journey-to-brotherhood.1391353/
    He sets things up nicely as to what’s to come.
    I will be leaving Virginia on July 8 on my DR650 along with a couple other guys and meeting @fjmartin and the rest of the group in Tellico Plains, TN. I am 68.75 years young, retired and in need of adventure. Bought my 2013 DR A year ago and have spent the intervening time preparing. Things are packed, loaded and bon voyage dinner and beers are picked out for me and the guys.
    See you on the trail!
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. It’ll be great to see the various perspectives on the trip with multiple reports!

It’s almost Go Time!
    DragonJoe likes this.
  3. RedXRider

RedXRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And so it begins...
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following along! Be safe out there fellas.
  5. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    15D1D4CB-6204-428A-BD7A-5358C57114E9.jpeg Well, it’s early in the morning July 5, three days till departure and a wet start to the day. Sitting here with my nice cup of coffee and cushy chair thinking about how it would be in camp right now. There is nothing like camping from your bike or back to bring into sharp focus the convenience enjoyed in daily routines. Life is a series of choices and then living with the results. ADV riding and camping is no different. We all do it for similar and different reasons. Mostly, we are looking for adventure. An escape from the routine and so the reward outweighs the inconvenience. But, for now I’m going to indulge in my conveniences and have another cup.
    The DR650 with Mosko Moto’s R80 is all packed up and I feel good about the preparation put in. A lot of effort to go light. Sunday, a couple Inmates (I have never met but who seem harmless enough on Slack) are going to spend pre-departure night here at my place near Shenandoah NP. I’ll let them introduce themselves in case Interpol has been alerted. Monday morning we will pick up the MABDR at Brandywine, WV and follow that to Damascus, Virginia to get on the TAT. That’s the near plan.
    For now a bon voyage dinner of BBQ, a bourbon barrel aged Stout, and a berry cobbler is in the works. Cheers!
  6. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stevee13 likes this.
  7. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Liberator likes this.
  8. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to go back and look at my trip but, as I recall, the biggest ones started south of Brandywine. There's actually a list of POIs were someone marked the water crossings at one point. I'll see if I can get a screen cap. The locations might not be quite right but I think the ballpark number of them is correct (and it shows 2 just north of Covington not in the screen cap).

Attached Files:

DragonJoe likes this.
  9. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Gang is starting to moto to respective rendezvous. A Honda AT left Texas and another Pulled out of Akron, Ohio headed to North Carolina in the heat and humidity today. Joe Martin flys from Seattle tomorrow to his shipped BMW in Raleigh, NC. I packed the last ity-bits on the bike, did a sag adjustment, filled up with no-ethanol gas just because I can. Bike felt well balanced and the jet, airbox, and exhaust rip and still yields 50 mpg. Put a LeoVince muffler on with spark arrester. I really like it. Shed 16 pounds with that mod and a lithium battery. One of two Inmates that were to leave with me Monday morning may get delayed waiting on a Seat Concepts seat for his XRL. BUT, the show must go on.
    Merlin44 and Diddly like this.
  10. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Come on Bill, you don’t need no stinking seat!
    upload_2019-7-6_21-40-27.png upload_2019-7-6_21-40-27.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    three water crossings on CR24 which is the section of road between CR21 and CR25 south of Brandywine. the road crosses the same creek three times, and i would ride around if the water is high and fast with all the recent rain in the area. the ride around is to follow CR21 to the intersection with 25, then back east up the mountain to 61 and south.

there are plenty of MABDR water crossings which usually are pretty dry by July, but not this year.
    DragonJoe likes this.
  12. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:

For the love of Sam Carrera, no one better skip A TRIP OF A LIFETIME because of an extra inch of foam on their saddle..
  13. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    5am and I’m awake and not going to sleep anymore. It’s departure morning. Tom arrived with his KTM something or another (smaller one). Got aquatinted, had dinner and he hit the sack in the garagemahall loft. Will be on the MABDR today and camp tonight. Maybe 160 miles. Other ride partner waiting on his seat from UPS. should get it today. We’ll see how posting up here goes as wi fi will be occasional.
  14. TEXRGD

TEXRGD n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. Show how it's done. Bucket list item for me. Good karma.
    DragonJoe likes this.
  15. dbc105

dbc105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe, take a look at your map and let me know when you are going to go thru Westpoint, Tn. We have a riding club there and the TAT goes right thru it. If you come thru when I can get free I'll ride up and meet you all. If you were to need anything for your bikes along that time Adventure Off Road is north on Hwy 43 about 4 miles north of where the TAT crosses. A few of us are planning a Damascus back to here trip next month.
    Bob757 and DragonJoe like this.
  16. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    10:40 am T on his KTM 650 and me on the mighty DR BRRAAAPED away from home to Brandywine WV 70 miles away. Gassed up, ate a snack and jumped on GPSKevin’s blue line. Came quickly to 3 water crossings that were no problem. Spits of rain came but just enough to pepper you face shield. One thunder storm hit a mountain trail just before we arrived, cooled things down and sent rivulets of water down the trail. Pitched camp 150 miles later along the Cow Pasteur River. Still hoping our buddy will catch up to us following day if UPS delivers his seat in time.
    Diddly likes this.
  17. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Me and Tom Ready to roll from Luray, Virginia.....Day 1

6EDA228D-002E-4316-A35F-ADD75F3F3D51.jpeg
    wmfleet2, Toddv, Merlin44 and 9 others like this.
  18. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Tom chilling and attempting editing video. Peaceful River Campground north of Douthat State Park. Clean but old showers, only $20 per night. No reservations.no check-out time and mostly semi permanent campers. Quiet and peaceful. Fran will welcome you. We were the only tents there..

ECB0F787-227F-4202-B8DF-51B408F0B70D.jpeg
    Merlin44, norton73, NxtGoRnd and 10 others like this.
  19. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    Day two. . . Quicklride on asphalt then into the forest on good FS Road. A few miles in we come to a 16-18 inch oak tree across our path. Steep mountain side to the right. Steep drop to the left. Someone had axed their way through 75% of it and gave up. Options. The log angled too high to drag over. Too low to drag under. We noticed a small notch axed in the tree next to low end and the steep drop down the mountain. I went for it walking on the left right on the edge of dropoff, motor running and clutching it up a ramp we built, up onto Skidplate, Tom stabilizing and lifting at the rear we got rear tire traction on the notch and over. Whew! Same scenario with Tom and we took a high five, a snack, hydrated and got moving. Did I mention it was wet and muggy and biting Nats? Working on getting you guys a pic up.
    Merlin44, NxtGoRnd, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  20. DragonJoe

Oddometer:
    24048276-12E4-4E53-99DB-DBD0B282440F.jpeg FFE32625-7717-4A29-A1AA-D2237FC68F98.jpeg 70C58610-B593-4880-84D1-DB8170F814F3.jpeg 70C58610-B593-4880-84D1-DB8170F814F3.jpeg

Attached Files: