1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Madison, Indiana group ride redux mid-March 2020

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by FEG32, Feb 10, 2020.

1. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    About 8 years ago 35ish of us got together and took a little ride around southern Indiana. It was a great time but a few mishaps cut the day a little short for the main group. The original planners don’t seem to be active here anymore but someone might be able to get in touch? I propose we give it another go! I have a rough route in mind from Madison up through Friendship and Dillsboro to Bonnell and back, but would love some suggestions from folks familiar with the area. There would be gravel, shallow creek crossings, ridge top winding country roads and I’m sure we could find some good food.

Interested? What say you?
  2. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old 179 and FEG32 like this.
  3. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interested. Watching @Old 179
    Old 179 likes this.
  4. geoduch

geoduch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. witttom

witttom Tom Witt

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm
  7. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second these tracks to work from. There is likely 350-375 miles of track to work with from the LN 2015 ride. Plans is sometime this year get up there and ride/scout, condense it into one intense day if possible??? Seems Saturday's track and the first half of Sunday's was the best. (gravel & water crossings)

Recent fellow inmate has e-mail some older GPX files for that area which I was going to run/scout as well!!!!
    mr_10brook, FEG32 and geoduch like this.
  8. johngault

johngault Leaning into it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested!
    geoduch likes this.
  9. Davidc83

Davidc83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since the beemer tried to become a submarine that day 8 years ago, I dont do water crossings anymore; heck I wont even go thru flooded water on the roadways anymore, even if I can see the road...if there are no water crossings, I would be interested-dont have the little beemer anymore-traded it in for a Honda NC700x.
    mbabc and FEG32 like this.
  10. FEG32

Oddometer:
    Lol, I feel ya! As the other rider who tried to drown his bike on the water crossing that day I still get a little nervous on deeper crossings. If it helps, the one that got us on Bee Camp is no longer there (at least not like it was) and the rest of the crossings are short and shallow.
  11. FEG32

Oddometer:
    The route i cobbled together looks to be about 125-150 miles, I imagine some of these tracks contain part/most of it. I'll take a look today to see if anything could be condensed and made to work for a one day ride. I'll post up what I have in mind once I hammer it out a bit better but I am WIDE OPEN to suggestions from folks that know the area better.
    geoduch and Old 179 like this.
  12. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only time I was in that corner of the state was last September during the drought and rode all of the LN tracks. Water crossing was easy then! There was one legal road crossing that water still went over the tires. Water in the curve of the creek dug out a channel next to bank before you climb out. There was a road closed sign once you got to the main connecting road. Also be aware there are 4-6 road sections that are now posted no trespassing/or gated off.

Could set it up for a two day ride as well????
    I will be up there more then just that one scheduled day!

Old 179
    geoduch likes this.
  13. Davidc83

Davidc83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all this rain, any water crossing is going to probably be a huge water crossing....and forecast is for more rain...hopefully it will stop raining before March....
    geoduch likes this.
  14. MxriderIndy

MxriderIndy n00b

Oddometer:
    Interested!
  15. Goodvillian

Goodvillian Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. Just need to see how work goes.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of date are you all looking at? I'm picking up my DR the first weekend of March (it's in WV). I would like to explore some of these areas close to my home that I know nothing about.
  17. buellfire

buellfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, these tracks were the first Loose Nut that I showed up for as it was so close to home. I have attended many since. I would be interest in rounding up the group from the Cincinnati area around my home in Union Ky for the ride down to Madison on US42
    geoduch likes this.
  18. MxriderIndy

MxriderIndy n00b

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this? Dates? Thanks.
    geoduch likes this.
  19. FEG32

Oddometer:
    I’ve Been crazy busy the last couple weeks, my plan was to check out roads I’m not familiar with to see if they’d be fun. I’m in Cincy so it’s a bit of a drive over to scout things out. Weather has been pretty crap too. I see now why putting rides together can be a bit of a challenge. I feel like I’m probably missing some good gravel.

Here is the .gpx of the areas I had in mind but I haven’t had time to do much fine tuning to figure out a good circular route to start and finish around Madison. Route is a bit long I think, might be better to stay to the south.

I’m going down to March moto madness the last weekend in March so I’m looking at the weekend before preferably Saturday so we can hit Hinkles for some after ride burgers.

Attached Files:

geoduch likes this.
  20. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did someone say Hinkles? Maybe in if it warms up.
    FEG32 likes this.