Madison, Indiana group ride redux mid-March 2020

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by FEG32, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I overlaid your unfinished gpx file onto LN2015 gpx tracks. Where you stopped close to Webster Rd(?) you could pick up LN Sun AM track (run reverse) and it will take you back (be returning on Bee Camp Rd) to the start of ride at HWY 56.

Edit:10:15 CST

A shorter return is to go west of your stop and pick up LN SAT PM track and head back towards Madison. You can then drop south and run Bee Camp RD back to the start,

Old 179
    jtclark13, geoduch and FEG32 like this.
  2. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    I managed to get out today for a few hours and checked out the northernmost part of the route. 3 creek crossings, 2 shallow and one slightly deeper but no problem on my little bike. I’m going to see if I can tighten the final route up this week. Getting out today gave me the bug....

Anyone have any objections to pushing into April if it works better for more folks?

F4A39E96-F782-4824-80B5-9E08DA85FC38.jpeg 7159DCA9-FD82-4547-BD98-83AB018255BB.jpeg
  3. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

jtclark13, MxriderIndy and geoduch like this.
  4. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in depending on the dates! I’ll be on vacation the 14th-20th, but I’d love to jump in if possible.
    geoduch likes this.
  5. MxriderIndy

MxriderIndy n00b

Oddometer:
    I vote for a monthly ride. :-)
    DIRTLIFE757 and FEG32 like this.
  6. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    About this time of year the darters are bunched up under that ford. Stop and peek next time, I've seen hundreds of them at a time. Interesting if you are into that kind of thing.
  7. FEG32

Oddometer:
    Ok, so using bits and pieces from past rides and a few of my own favorite additions, here is what I'm proposing. It's a bit over 100 miles but some of the stretches are just quick runs to get between better roads. I think with a decent start time it would be a good all day ride with a few stops for breaks, gas, and refreshments. I avoided as much highway as possible and there should be plenty of shallow crossings, gravel, and twisty ridge top roads to keep folks entertained. Starts and ends right outside of Madison so there will be lots of places to choose for a meeting point and to park trucks, trailers, etc.

Attached Files:

jtclark13, DIRTLIFE757 and geoduch like this.
  8. geoduch

geoduch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Does it begin or end on North Bee Camp?
  9. FEG32

Oddometer:
    It would start with a left turn up North Bee Camp from Madison, and then cross it again on the way back in from the east.
    geoduch likes this.
  10. johngault

johngault Leaning into it

Oddometer:
    I did part of the route yesterday. It was about an hour ride to Madison from Columbus. From Madison, I took N Bee Camp and continued on to Friendship. My GPS kept shutting off at that point so I no longer had directions.

There were some really great roads! The weather was great and the roads dry. I'm looking forward to doing the whole route. :ricky
    jtclark13 and FEG32 like this.
  11. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's highway to get to and more boring roads after but there is a bit of gravel and a creek crossing in commiskey across from the winery. Used to be a good greasy spoon there but it closed down a few years ago.
    jtclark13 likes this.
  12. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My month is booked up, but I appreciate the routes! I ran the Saturday LN during the event, and finally ran Sunday's tracks this past summer. That part of the state is a hidden gem if you are lucky enough to find the right roads.
    geoduch likes this.
  13. MxriderIndy

MxriderIndy n00b

Oddometer:
    Any word on any dates?
    geoduch likes this.
  14. FEG32

Oddometer:

Things have gotten a bit more complicated unfortunately. I guess we’re just going to have to wait and see.
  15. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My once busy weekend calendar has been wiped away clean now. No track meets, sprint car races, etc to work or to attend.

Camping at the State Parks looks to be still allowed as of this morning per Clifty Falls web site. Rides are easy. Eat a big breakfast at home/campsite, ride in a group of ten or less, & carry something for lunch. I will be riding this area yet this month before the State/DNR desides to close the state parks!
    mr_10brook likes this.
  16. johngault

Oddometer:
    Looks like next Thursday will be nice. If the forecast holds I will ride this route. if anyone is interested you are welcome to join me. ill let lifts next weekend.
    geoduch likes this.
  17. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see Indiana state parks are still open for camping for now. Ohio has joined Illinois on shutting down the state. Seems logical Indiana will soon follow suite. Should my other 2 ride options to the south falls thru because of the virus situation I will be in this Madison area later in the week. "We" need to be burning fuel while we still "legally" can!
  18. johngault

Oddometer:
    I can't think of a better way to NOT get sick than a nice ride in the countryside.
  19. Shinymetal

Shinymetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amy more info on this ride? I have two other friends that would love to go.
  20. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode these tracks a week ago with mr-10brook. Had issues with the down load, but have not figured why yet. This Madison GPX and RoadDad's GPX
    appears same type of file. Both download to Basecamp and shown on Basecamp map just fine. RoadDads shown on my Montana 610 just fine, but the Madison did not take to my Garman. I tried several things to no luck. Anyone have a idea??? I created a roll chart for the first half of the ride and Greg used his phone on the last half of it.
    I recorded the tracks as we rode so I now have them.
    Met two different individuals who have Dual Sport bikes and would like to meet up with like minds and do some riding. I gave them each my ADVRIDER card and expect to hear from them sometime soon. One was from the China area (XRL), the other on a bicycle SW of Aurora(400 Suzuki).
    mr_10brook likes this.