Madrid-Europe (TET)-Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Pcq, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to include another flat I suffered in Croatia this time on a remote track, a split in the front tyre tube. It was a bummer because the spare tube I had with me was riddled with holes and I couldn’t repair the slit in the tube with the patches that I had. So after an hour of patching and inflating to no avail I called roadside assistance and these two guys showed up with a tiny trailer to take the bike to the tyre shop and repair the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Split I bought two heidenau 3mm tubes and had them installed and kept the other two (with no holes so far!) as spares and so far so good...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    BillUA, 78er, Saso and 1 other person like this.
  2. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Vens

Vens n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice photos, how is answering the bike?, do you recommend to reinforce or improve something based in your experience?
  4. TheBear

TheBear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I envy you. I don't suppose I could convince you to let me tag along... ah, daydreams. I did this kind of thing 40 years ago. Just a suggestion based on my personal experience: instead of shipping (or more probably flying) from Singapore to Bali, consider taking one of the local small freighters to Sumatra instead and then riding through Indonesia. Ferries are available and Indonesia is a wonderful country.
    Pcq likes this.
  5. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is great. No mechanical issues so far. But I don’t have a standard bike so I would strongly suggest to add additional gas tank and improve the seat and lights if you want to travel with the bike ...

Let’s see how things hold up as the beating continues and the miles add up ...I’ll report on it.

I could go on for a bit though about the fact that I don’t understand why this bike (as the ktm 690) isn’t an adv bike from factory ... the stock bike doesn’t really make sense to me because this type of bike : weight / power/ maintenance cycle is an adventure bike but isn’t equipped to travel . Just give us the adv option from factory...Most people want that, otherwise there are the 450 or 500 enduro bikes... so everyone has to buy aftermarket kits... as if the it were a competition bike ... doesn’t make sense to me and complicates life for riders

BillUA and 78er like this.
  6. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Montenegro !
    Didn’t know what to expect just looming mountains from the name and everyone telling me how dangerous it would be ... pfff
    Dangerous in what sense ?? Riding tracks in the nature and mountains has risk. I think it’s more about the bad rep some areas get from people who have never set foot there. So my policy now is always to ask people if they’ve been or have 1st hand knowledge. If not I don’t want to hear again state departments or CNN’s warnings on a country !!
    We’re adv travellers and I’m going to venture and explore what’s out there. In general it’s fun and people are hospitable and very generous wherever you go, in fact more so it seems, the further I’m away from home.

This is the route I followed in Montenegro

[​IMG]

So I left off from Bosnia where I met two other Italian bikers close to the border of Montenegro.

[​IMG]

After a bite to eat we hit the road and crossed the border, we met a funny border policeman in Montenegro who wanted to use my bike to cut down trees

Following the GS

[​IMG]

We crossed the Tara bridge

That evening it started raining heavily and we had to find a place to shelter. We arrived at Kolasin and eventually found an apartment, the 2 Italian guys adopted me for the night. We hit the town and got a liquid beer dinner !

The next day we went our separate ways I headed down some TET tracks southbound.

A bit difficult in some sections due to mud so I has to turn back before the Albanian border.

The logging guys offered me a beer when they saw the state I was in

I ran into lots of big civil engineering being carried out by a Chinese Corp. Highways, tunnels, bridges ... linking the interior with Podgorica.

[​IMG]

Amazing roads ...

[​IMG]

Then I came across this train bridge which is just amazing

[​IMG]

Drove further down to get some lunch. The owner of the restaurant told me that a crazy famous Italian biker had crossed the bridge on the beams above the tracks. So he had been there at the restaurant asking him questions like “will I get arrested for crossing a bridge in this country?”
    Then he took off with his camera guys and later showed up for lunch laughing and showed him this...

Apparently in the uncut version a guard chases him but is unable to catch him hahaha

After Podgorica and giving the bike a needed wash

[​IMG]

I actually I want to go back to Montenegro what a beautiful place (and I have to admit I came across sooo many beautiful women there ) I headed for skardasko jezero lake
    What a beautiful place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I headed towards Budva

Some amazing views from the road

[​IMG]

On the way to Kotor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kotor airfield, plenty of private jets ...

[​IMG]

Kotor Bay. I find this fjord like setting utterly incredible ...

[​IMG]

I feel Kotor Bay has this italian riviera like appeal ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kotor the town much more than I expected ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This amazing bbq place. I love the butcher - grill concept where you choose the cuts and they cook them for you to take away. Amazingly fresh and always great prices ...

[​IMG]

Kotor at night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day I was off to Tirana, Albania to meet up and ride with an Italian buddy from Madrid that was arriving on a ferry into Durres from Bari...

Albania coming up!

BLucare likes this.
  7. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maintenance log update :

17.700km two nee mirrors purchased (broke both on a silly fall)
    18.000km oil & filter change at Ktm shop in Athens
    [​IMG]
    18.000km two new mt21 tyres fitted
    note: front mt21 lasted since start of adventure with 10.000km and rear scorpion rally 6.000km could have ridden this 1.000 km more but Greece deserves better !
    [​IMG]
    18.700km que filter swapped (should have done this way earlier)
    [​IMG]
    Realised at ktm that I’ve been checking the oil before start in mornings instead of at running temp after a minute for settling so oil consumption I reported is likely to be wrong. Duhhhh...Checked today and after 880km no visible drop. Good news if so...

78er and BLucare like this.
  8. BLucare

BLucare ADV General Counsel

Oddometer:
    Montenegro looks gorgeous! Thanks for the update, mate :thumb enjoying everything so far.
    Pcq likes this.
  9. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was off from Kotor to Tirana to meet a buddy who had taken his 990 from Spain y ferry to Italy-Sardinia-Corsica and now on to Durres.

This is the Albania route approx

[​IMG]

So I drove straight from Kotor to Tirana and it was hot as hell. You know it’s getting warm when you feel you are drying up every 30min or so, but no problem! It’s not a long ride and the prospect of cold beers and good laughs with a best friend was very encouraging.

Stopped to get a light bite and some cold water.

[​IMG]

Got to the centre of Tirana and met my buddy Mario. His 990 was parked on the side of the street so it was easy to spot !

[​IMG]

Then we found a hotel close to the embassies area cleaned up and headed for dinner, drinks and to check out the Tirana night action !

Major pimp mobile action going on the main drag, guys just cruising up and down...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And BTW another interesting fact many of the luxury cars are UK plated. So I figure they are buying mostly used RHD cars in the
    UK at a discount as they’re not sold easily to the rest of the EU. Or somebody knows better? I know UK car dealers already make Better prices than other EU countries on new cars but I know the used RHD market is very interesting price wise if you don’t mind having to overtake blindly -some people will find it a fun game -

On the road the following day towards Berat.

[​IMG]

Berat at night

[​IMG]

Riding out of Berat

A delicious local baked fish speciality at lake Ohrid

[​IMG]

Heading back towards Berat following Mario on the 990

Back to Berat on an awesome dirt track that we realised was in part what will be the future highway

[​IMG]

Mario on in his 990

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fort at Berat. Amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting our bikes hosed down before luggage goes back on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The President and Vice President of Albania

[​IMG]

We then headed down to the coast, to Dhermi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A cow was attending the petrol station

Had some amazing fish and seafood there and enjoyed the great beaches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the big boss souped up Benz’s here hehehe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finding small hidden away coves with crystal clear water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This young couple from Kosovo were such Real Madrid fans they wore the towel to the beach !

[​IMG]

Enjoying the views with the local goats

[​IMG]

After riding the coast and enjoying the beaches I headed towards the border with Greece. Next up !!

78er, BLucare, Herman1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. fennek

fennek Lobo solitario

Oddometer:
    ride safe!
    Pcq likes this.
  11. BLucare

Oddometer:
    ¡Hala Madrid! :clap
    Pcq likes this.
  12. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all you might be wondering why no updates and I was gonna update with Greece and Serbia but unfortunately my bike was totalled on the side of the road by a drunk driver in Serbia.

The lucky thing is I was checking into the hotel so I wasn’t on it.
    The guy was so drunk he couldn’t even speak let alone see a bike.

So I’m now dealing with insurance stuff claims etc and currently without a bike.
    But the only important thing and for which I’m very fortunate is I’m absolutely fine.

I might fly to Indo and continue the adventure there, need to see if I can buy a decent bike somewhere out there to move about with...

Will keep posting as things pan out...
    One irresponsible person can end life(s) in the blink of an eye.

edgeoftheworld and Herman1 like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you weren’t hurt. I hope you can carry on your great trip.
  14. 78er

78er Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you're safe - though it's really sad about that awesome bike....

If by Indo you mean Indonesia - in SE Asia a 250 is sufficient - real highways are rare and people generally do not expect anybody to be faster than 80 or 100km/h ( and make their decisions based on that assumption) .

Thailand made Honda CRF 250 / 250 rally are reasonably priced (and there's a Honda dealer in every bigger town so buying /servicing should be easy). I actually am in Bali right now - 99% of bikes I see are 250cc or less.
  15. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Noooooo :( Not the beautiful 701!

Glad you're ok, mate. Bikes are easier to replace than humans. Stay positive :thumb
  16. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks ! Yes something like a 250 XR woups be great
    I was in Bali last year also

Are you just spending some vacation there or do you live there ?

Curious about Sumatra ... as it’s so much bigger
    Indo has great waves and beautiful tracks to ride on that’s why I’m focusing on that area.

78er likes this.
  17. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it hurts to see a bike get wasted like that and there is so much additional equipment put into it to make it adv ready.
    But the chassis is totally broken
    Below are pics

The husky dealer in Ljubljana says that there could be so much more damage to engine, electrical system, as well as front forks, brake, wheel that it is a bad fix. Like even the engine case could be stressed now and tolerances screwed so could have lots of hidden issues.

In the last pic you can see how the whole front has been displaced backwards from the frontal impact

I will try to salvage parts from it ends up being a total wreck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BLucare likes this.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you will need some help buying a bike in Thailand.Malaysia no residency required, registration is a few dollars as is insurance . just google whatever bike, Malaysia. we bought in Rasah , about 40 miles south of KL , Lee sells ktm, Yamaha n Kawasaki.​
  19. BLucare

Oddometer:
    I wonder if @team ftb could help with your bike search. I seem to recall he lives in Thailand, or did? Apologies if that's incorrect.
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Thailand restricts entry and exit of motorbikes. CRF250’s are easy to rent and a great bike to explore Northern Thailand. PM me if you want info about buying/registering a bike there.