Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m starting this ride report as my bike and I are crossing on a ferry from Barcelona to Civitavechia,

The plan is flying from NYC to Madrid, buy a motorcycle and ride east during three months trying to reach Mongolia.

I kind of suck riding off-road so something smaller than my GS was a better option for the rough sections.

I got a brand new 790 Adventure, now with 620 km on the clock (the exact distance MAD-BCN) but looking forwards to the 1000km service in San Severo to be able to rev up the beast. Really love the engine and the bike overall feeling but honestly I was just droning it on the highway on my first day.

I put quick shifter, heated grips, and cruise control, although the dealer couldn’t get the CC hardware for it, so I have the software installed but can’t use it as less I can find a KTM dealer that has the controls for it. The gas indicator is not working on the bike, a real shame particularly considering that I knew about the issue and ask the dealer to be sure that will work. I was expecting a more thorough bike check up considering I was leaving straight from the dealer to this big trip but the bike had O km, on the odometer no shake down or anything like it. I hope I can get it working on Italy at the first service.

For luggage I went all with Mosko Moto, including tank bag and tool roll. The quality seems very high and everything is extremely well though. I always rode with metal bags, this is my first time with soft ones. Honestly I’m still undecided whats better, I miss the easy access to the metal boxes, weight and width wise the difference is less than expected but I have to take measurement to confirm.

For riding gear I’m wearing a Aether expedition suite. Waterproof, full of ventilation and I dig the discreet style. I owned for a year and a half, happy for now but this trip will definitely test it.

IMG_2915.jpg

At te dealer in Madrid ready to leave.

IMG_2926.jpg

Prime meridian of Grenwich on my way to Barcelona

IMG_2934.jpg

Barcelona

IMG_2968.jpg

The beast just unchained in the ferry
  2. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2963.jpg

Arrived to Civitavechia and head to the Coliseum for a pic.

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Currently I'm in San Severo waiting fro the KTM dealer to perform the 1000km (600 miles) services.
    The road to here was pretty good though the Apenines.
  3. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buena suerte ! Will be following you!
    Francistor83 likes this.
  4. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great!
  5. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell Yes I'm in! You will begin to really like the MM stuff after a couple of tip overs. Yes, you will be forced to organize your gear better :)

M
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Radioactive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thread 'watched' :beer
  7. RocketSnake

RocketSnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck! Will be following:lurk
  8. jbraslins

jbraslins Latvian Gangstah

Oddometer:
    Ambitious! Will be following and looking forward to your post! Sounds like an awesome bike to do this on.
  9. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. It sounds like an awesome trip, and truth be told I'm really interested in this "Long Term Test" of the new KTM. So many riders are very interested in this bike and I'm sure they'll be eating this up. Have a great adventure.
    95Monster likes this.
  10. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I’ve been waiting for a good test of the 790. I’ll be following. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
  11. odontek

odontek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Goodluck and enjoy your journey, I’m subscribed.
  12. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck!! And thanks for sharing. A lot of people waiting for your report about this trip and this bike.
  13. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BFDCE00A-AE2E-4A78-ADC3-7EB55C017A32.jpeg
    Left the dealer at San Severo. The fuel Indicator wasn’t working because the software wasn’t updated, the two bolts holding the tank protectors were missing and the front wheel wasn’t aligned. I can believe my dealer in Spain was so sloppy.

D849AAF5-4508-4D5B-AB34-345831E37337.jpeg

Rode to Bari and took (I promise) the last ferry. I’m just by passing most of Europe that I’ve ridden before to spend most of my time in Eastern Europe, Turkey and Asia.

0A049BCC-B112-4529-A7FB-4C6ACE9FC690.jpeg

2D6BD973-C4CD-44CA-9084-5C5DC474F6C4.jpeg

Guantánamo bay.
  14. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A3FD182E-02C5-41BB-89DF-58F6CA9BC4C4.jpeg This is the route approximately
  15. DirtBrain

DirtBrain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Ride safe! Im interested to hear about the 790 in the long run.
  16. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close the drape on that window! Some ugly guy is staring at you. RU planning on Shipping the bike back to the US from Irkutsk? Also, yea, I know Im asking alot. Provide details re your planning, booking the various Ferries, passport.visa/insurance etc. Nuts and bolts stuff.
    95Monster and Martincito like this.
  17. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM dealers leave a lot to be desired. My two friends ride an 1190R and a 1290 SAT. Their "growing pains" are legion in our group.
    I like KTM, but I'm sure if they didn't bring the HP and the attitude, they would be unforgiven and written off pretty quickly.
    A little QC goes a LONG way......... BTW, How long is that ferry ride??
  18. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea of a trip with a bike I want to know how it handles - IN

Godspeed
  19. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try sharing some practical information.
    Visas, I have multiple citizenships so the only country that I need a visa for is Tajikistan. In general with a US or European passport you will need visa for Russia and e-visas for Turkey, Tajikistan and Azerbaijan. Turkmenistan is the most difficult of all the countries that is why I'm skipping it.
    There is a web site www.caravanistan.com with loads of information on Central Asia.

For insurance I got full coverage in Madrid and the company gave me something called "green card" that is valid insurance for European countries out of the EU (Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Russia). Mine is valid just for one month. You can also buy insurances at he border.

Ferries. The ferry form Barcelona to Roma is 20 hours long and you can take it also to Genova. From Bari to Durres is 10 hours and the ferry is pretty shitty, runs everyday. Some days there is also ferries to Croatia and Montenegro as well as Greece. The main ports in Adriatic Italy ar Ancona, Bari and Brindisi. Ferries are in general overnight so you save a lot of time moving while sleeping.

Money, I opened and account on Schwab Bank because doesn't charge you fees on ATM abroad.

Security. I always leave the bike on hotels with secure garage, have also a Xena lock with alarm and a gps tracker hard wire to the battery, so if the bikes moves or goes bumped I get a txt message. Also my family know real time where I am or at lest where the bike is.

I'll keep adding information as I remember but feel free to ask for any particular I'll try to help as much as I can.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    This looks good.