Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I arrived today to Ulanbatoor. I will be shipping the bike to Spain directly from here so I have more time to spend in Mongolia. I really want to see the Gobi desert, I decided against it a few days ago but tomorrow I will be heading south towards that region. If I can ride good, if I can't because there is too much sand I guess I will take a tour and travel around. I will report soon.
    mb300, KL__07, td63 and 1 other person like this.
  2. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures!!!
  3. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I have a casa cueva (cave house) in the Castril Valley in Granada Province about 130 km north east of Granada. I would welcome the opportunity to meet up, I will be there 16 to 30 July and then again all of October and November.
  4. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a house en Guejar de la Sierra, I'll be there from the 17th to the 21st. If my family let me some time alone we can have some cañas.
    Tim Cullis likes this.
  5. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    :thumb:bow:knary:eek2 now I really want one
    upload_2019-6-26_22-37-56.png
    stevecb likes this.
  6. Cani41

Cani41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    M. Martincito, you make me dream! I'm a fan! Write a book please.
    Martincito likes this.
  7. FireDog45

FireDog45 Knockin' on retirement's door

Oddometer:
    Outstanding photos! Thanks for letting us tag along
    Martincito likes this.
  8. KL__07

KL__07 ride your own way

Oddometer:
    Go ahead - brillant report - gracias-
    Martincito likes this.
  9. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To get to the Gobi desert is an 8 hours ride from UB to Dalanzadgad on a paved road. I did it in one day, after a few hours the landscape changes leaving the mountains behinds and getting into a more desert environment.

DSC05127.jpg

DSC05135.jpg

The next morning I went to Yolyn Am Canyon a 30 km ride. it's quite beautiful with ice on the ground. I believe if you come early in the season there is more ice creating an arch ceiling at the top. It was pretty much melted by now.

DSC05143.jpg

DSC05161.jpg

Then there is a stretch of asphalt to a town name Bayandalai and from there 120km of dirt to the dunes. It's a long way with mud, a bit of sand, some rocky sections and a lot of washboards. There is no one around no houses and almost no yurts till you get there.

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

But I the middle of nowhere I saw a bunch of car parked I stopped by and some kind of competition event was going on. I got there when finishing, for the awards ceremony and snapped a picture with I guess the wrestler champion.

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg
    BeaterBike, mb300, Aces 6 and 12 others like this.
  10. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kept riding to the Khongoryn Els. They are breathtaking. Massive and beautiful, I never saw something like it.

DSC05176.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

To give you a idea of the scale. Those three dots a bit off left and down from the center are people climbing.

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05238.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

I climbed them. It was quite tiring to get up there but the view was incredible.

DSC05289.jpg

DSC05254.jpg

The sunset was beautiful.

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

View from my yurt right there close to the dunes.

IMG_5614.jpg
    mb300, powderzone, ferals5 and 17 others like this.
  11. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sky at night was the most incredible that I ever seen so I did a bit of a photo session with the bike.

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05320.jpg
    Equalo, BeaterBike, mb300 and 19 others like this.
  12. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was probably the best day of the trip. I felt so, so happy and peaceful in there.

The next day was the opposite. I was leaving my yurt heading to a bigger yurt camp to stop and buy water for my return trip. I was on a narrow sandy road with just room for one car. Sand on each side and just two track one for each wheel. I saw a Landcruiser going towards me, I stopped as much as I could to the right and wait a bit to see how both of us were going to go trough. This idiot driver to avoid getting stuck on the sand gas the car and comes toward me at speed with the rear wheels sliding out of control. I jumped from the bike to the sand bank on the right and the car hit the bike on the left. After the driver realized what he just done instead of stopping he reversed and drove away. I managed to fix the plastic with zip tights and kept going to the bigger yurt camp to repair it further. I'm glad that I jumped if not he could have hit my leg.

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

Some kids at the camp getting me extra fuel from a UAZ just in case.

IMG_5676.jpg

Then on the same day later on, when I was riding back, I saw a big storm forming behind me so I started riding faster and faster. I saw some sand flying on front of me, then more and more and more. I couldn't see anything. I stopped and a big sand storm started hitting me. It was my first time in one of them. I got out of the bike, put the side stand and crouched next to the bike holding it. It got so windy with wet sand hitting me and covering the entire helmet shield. It was two waves of a few minutes and then stopped. Behind the sand a lot of rain was coming so I climbed back on the bike and kept riding at speed, the rain caught up with me, the road started getting wet and it changed to mud/clay and just crashed at speed.

IMG_5694.jpg

Here you can see all the dirt from the sand storm

IMG_5689.jpg

I carried with me a Dirt Napper sold by an advrider member. Is a bit heavy and was always looking at it questioning my decision about buying it. Thanks I did, without it I couldn't lift the bike on the slippery ground and not a soul was around.

IMG_5698.jpg

The road was so slippery that I had to remove the front fender because the accumulation of clay mud was locking my wheel.

IMG_5702.jpg

I don't know if a different tire would have worked better but the Shinkos 805/804 were totally useless on this situation.

IMG_5700.jpg

Attached Files:

juno, calabash, BeaterBike and 22 others like this.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Wow! This picture should be named "Good Times Ahead". :D

Great report, thanks for posting. :thumb
    Martincito likes this.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, save some for the rest of us! You're going to see and do everything worth seeing and doing on a 790 before the rest of us even get out of the gate!

What a trip. I'm sorry today sucked but you are going to remember each individual day of this trip for the rest of your life.
    Martincito likes this.
  15. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually is the storm that already passed me while I was figuring out how to pick up the bike under the rain. If I had waited I wouldn't had crashed. I got soaked anyways.

Btw, the 790 crashes very well. No crash bars or anything and the bike didn't suffered any damaged at all. I was going quite fast, the bike spun in the ground and ended up looking the other way. I just needed to readjust the control on the left side.
    mb300, td63, KL__07 and 2 others like this.
  16. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a trip and what a story!
  17. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Great report!
    Martincito likes this.
  18. Cani41

Cani41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Real Adventure Man and Bike!
    Beautiful and dangerous: the way for an unforgettable trip.
    Martincito likes this.
  19. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    Great photos again, I think I write for everyone when I say we feel like we are experiencing this with you. Well, maybe not the pain.

The photo with the wrestler is one to cherish!

I rode through a sandstorm in Africa on a BMW R1200GSA. I could just about make out the road at my eye level, most of the grit was much lower down. When I got through I found it had stripped the paint from the forks.

As for lifting a bike, before I had pannier rails on my Tenere (which is very top heavy) I dropped it in a narrow canyon and it went beyond 90º. I unloaded the luggage but found there was nowhere on the bike for me to get purchase, it wasn't that I didn't have the strength. Oh well, someone, maybe a shepherd, will be along in a few hours. And sure enough a group of silver haired French trekkers came round the corner and helped me get the bike up. You have to understand that for English to accept French help is embarrassing. LOL.

On yet another bike in Africa on a F650GS twin I got the front wheel totally blocked with mud like you. I subsequently fitted a Touratech mudguard/fender which was an additional 50mm further away from the tyre. I think if I was doing a trip like yours I would fit the high mudguard from the 'R'.

As for tyres, once you find the real sticky mud it doesn't matter what tread pattern you have, you might as well be on slicks. I probably would have tried riding on the vegetation for the traction.
  20. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the Gobi desert I rode the 8 hours back to UB and stopped by at the Genghis Khan equestrian statue, claimed to be the biggest of its type.

IMG_5714.jpg

The next day I did all the arrangements to ship the bike. It will take a couple of months to het to Madrid. I felt sad saying good bye while becoming a pedestrian.

A knight without a horse. Like Genghis Khan in an Uber pool.

IMG_5748.jpg

One night during the trip I was drinking late with some friend in Tbilisi, Georgia and found this phrase written in the ceiling of a bar. I think it is a good one to end this ride report.

Thanks, for all your support and companion on these three incredible months.

Best,

Martín

IMG_3866.jpg
    Equalo, BeaterBike, Pipeman and 26 others like this.