Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made some friends at the ferry. A big group of riders from Lecce going for some riding in Albania and Montenegro. We had breakfast together and then we parted ways as I headed to Tirana.
    IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3076.jpg

Attached Files:

mb300, wilfred, Tigerswift and 3 others like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    No disrespect intended to the historical figure in that statue, but from that angle he looks a bit like Yoda. :)
    mb300, Smashy and Subaruvich like this.
  3. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the practical info. I'm about to buy the 790r, info about the bike will be useful.
  4. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    And Yoda isn't historical....
  5. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. kep10

kep10 n00b

Oddometer:
    subscribing

by the way are there any issues on the 790 adventure?
  7. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just rode for 1500km so far.
    Full disclosure, I'm a BMW person. My main bike is a 06 1200GS that I will never sell and I love it like a member of an animist cult, but I really like this 790.
    Compared to a 800GS in my opinion is much better. I rode a 800GS just two times for a week, both rentals, once in California and once in Sardinia and Corsica. It feels lighter, flickable and the engine is stronger.
    I don't like the amount of rattling noise in the engine, the air turbulence from the windshield and the narrow friction zone in the clutch but I love everything else.
    The bike feels very light for its size regardless of the weight numbers, the riding position is great and at 5'9 I flat foot the S model, the R is way taller.
    I haven't ridden it on dirt as soon as I get it on it I'll give you more feedback but as I say at the beginning of this RR I'm not a good dirt rider so my experience will be basically a survival exercise.
    wilfred, stokerel, ThirtyOne and 5 others like this.
  8. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’ll need to change tyres anyway at some point. Once you get into rougher terrain & when you hit the dirt you really want to be on more appropriate tyres.

Id suggest you go for something 50/50 (Anakees, E-10, etc). Makes a huge difference... I would also put inner tubes in them.

Plan for that before as I don’t think you’ll find them that easily further east.

Those Avon’s are great for pavement dry or wet, but that’s it...
    And your cohone (and electronics) will compensate any lack of experience ; )
    Francistor83 likes this.
  9. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Why put tubes in a tubeless tire?
  10. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for your info. Good luck!!
  11. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not in your current tubeless of course, only suggest when you switch out the tyres.
    Good riding !
  12. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Looking forward to your RR as you head east!

I rode around Turkey in the late 80s on a borrowed Yamaha 250 Enduro, hostel to hostel, and had a blast.

Likewise, I'm primarily a R1200GS tricked out for dirt rider. But do very much enjoy riding my KTM 350 EXC for long weekend dual sport camping trips and trailering it to AZ to ride Baja. When my 350 was delivered by the dealer, it blew oil all over the floor. The factory failed to install a crankcase gasket! Fortunately, it made a mess the first 15 seconds the engine was running. I also thought KTM bench tested the engines at the factory and the dealer gave them a cursory inspection while running. Perhaps they did, but, I suspect NOT.

I look forward to your future impressions of the 790Adv as you head east.

Couldn't agree more about the tires. I would look to change them sooner then later to a decent 50/50 tire. With your limited off-road experience and and knowledge of how-to, a tire that hooks up better off-road will make your life much more enjoyable and greatly reduce the frustration factor even on benign dirt roads.

Have a fun and safe trip!!!
  13. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report !
  14. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was planning the tire switch for a while, options are quite limited as I get further east, so far I'm thinking about putting a set of Shinko knobbies E8 , in Dushanbe before riding the Pamir Highway. That is the only tire I can get if don't want to carry them form Turkey. I'll be ok with the Avon on light off road situations.
    wilfred and Subaruvich like this.
  15. Migolito

Oddometer:
    I like Shinko's a lot. The E805 will fit the bill perfect imo.
  16. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitas e07 is a good option too.
  17. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I got to Vlora, Albania stopping before in Berat. Very nice town in the beach, I had some pizza at the restaurant own by a cousin of an Albanian friend in NY. We drank Raki till midnight and the I head south to Saranda.

Berat
    IMG_3115.jpg

Vlore
    image1.jpeg

I saw this house on a farmland, I guess the owner was missing the sea. It's for sale btw in case someone is interested.
    IMG_3118.jpg

The road from Vlora to Saranda is spectacular. You ride on top of the mountain looking at the sea, sometimes the road goes all the way to the shore and then climbs back to the mountain. I tested the GoPro for first time. I'll ry tomorrow to do same screen grabs from it and post them.
    Vlora-Saranda.png

image1.jpeg

IMG_3137.jpg

These pictures don't do justice to the road. It was just great. Also Albania is not very populated so the roads are quite empty, and even thought the drivers don't respect much the laws they are better than the aggressive Italians.

A couple of hours ago crossed to Grecia and now I'm camping at Igoumenitsa. First camp night o the trip.

IMG_3145.jpg

I wasn't sure if the greek call the greek salad "greek salad" or just salad. I ordered unspecified salad.

IMG_3147.jpg
    sleipnir, Benton629, mb300 and 19 others like this.
  18. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you were right!
    We just call it "choriatiki - χωριατικη" ,means village salad.
    Ride safe!!!
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it! Glad I subscribed to your adventure. Nice to enjoy vicariously when we still have a few feet of snow here in Northern Ontario Canada.

:beer
  20. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice roads in Albania. Enjoy!!!