Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    The photo of the bike and tent is classic!
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  2. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That salad looks awesome! Wish I had the wherewithal to do a trip like that. My hats off to you for having the know how and balls to do it. I assume you speak at least some of the language(s) also? Sometimes that’s the fun part though as I spend several weeks each winter snowmobiling in Quebec and I do not speak french but that’s part of the adventure. Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure!
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Radioactive Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Martincito does your Mosko Nomad tank bag obscure your line of sight to the TFT in any way?

Also, how about when standing aggressively in a turn, or seated in a turn (enduro style) ** does the bag impede you atoll? I'm not sure thats your riding style but I thought I'd ask. As more of an enduro background, I'm curious to know how that tank bag might interfere.

[​IMG]
  4. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I speak English and Spanish, zero Russian. I'm trusting my cell phone coverage and translations apps.
  5. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode from Igoumenitsa to Ionaninna in Greece. A mix of beautiful roads and some highway. Ionnaina is a pretty town on a lake. In there met Greg form France and he is also riding to Mongolia, we have a different on a Honda XLV, w have different pace. I have three. month and he six but we are going to ride together to Istanbul. From Ioanninna rode to Meteora, town with strange rocks formation and many monasteries, still with monks, built on top of those rocks, from there we rode to Thessaloniki. I wanted to stop there to get my bike check up at a KTM shop. It has been head shaking from day one, I tried different tire pressures, preloads, riding with no luggage etc. The mechanic said that the spokes need to be adjusted, both wheels are not perfectly rounded. I'm going to try get it fixed in Istanbul.

Ionaninna

IMG_3154.jpg

Baclava Time!!!!

IMG_3155.jpg

Ionaninna

IMG_3161.jpg

I found a lady willing to take a picture of myself.

IMG_3167.jpg

Meteora

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg

Greg and I (bikes only) with the Mount Olympus as background.

IMG_3198.jpg
  7. peloncho

peloncho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quite a disaster a brand new bike with no round wheels!!! Good luck in Istanbul!!!
  8. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm making a list...and checking it twice, of things to check before the bike leaves the dealer. I'm the kinda guy who will get my 'prep' money back if I have to return the bike due to dealer who fails to actually prep the bike. Rant over. Howz the MM panniers working out? Tailbag?
  9. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    You've not mentioned comfort. How are you getting on with the seat and the windshield?
  10. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the MM setup. Honestly at the beginning I was doubtful about going with soft panniers, I always used metal side cases one on my GS and love them but 'm starting to dig the soft ones. Overall the design is very well though and seem to be quite rough. The tail bag/duffle bag is good too but is a bit of a pain to remove from the bike, so I keep my camping gear there and never take it off the bike. the side bags are very easy to take them out into the hotel room.
  11. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The seat is hard/firm more than the Sargent seat on my GS and a bit uncomfortable. I have on it a Alaska Skin-sheep that looks awful bit keep my butt happier.
    I'm around 5'9 and get turbulence, noise and wind buffeting when riding n the highway but if I get any accessory to get the screen higher I won't get wind flow on the hot sections of the trip, so I guess is a good compromise.
    Body position is good but I'm going to get bar raisers and turn the controls down for up-stand riding, the way it is now is very uncomfortable.
  12. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Thank you so much for your comparison between your GS and the KTM 790. Flirting with the idea of getting something smaller and find you comments informative. Now back to your ride...
  13. odontek

odontek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Martincito, any updates, how are you doing with your ride?
  14. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, sorry for the lapse in the RR. I'm in Turkey with my girlfriend and dedicating most of my time to share this week that she is visiting me with her.

After Greece Greg and I parted ways when we got to Istanbul , we may meet again in Capadoccia in about a week.

IMG_3214.jpg

In Istanbul I visit another KTM dealer the fourth one since my trip started :-( They seemed very competent and after removing the front wheel and tried to balanced it they got to the conclusion that he shaking on my bike is due to a bad tire. They told me that it happened before to them but not with the 790. They didn't have any tires but talked to their branch in Izmir and apparently I'm going to get a new tire replacement under warranty in there. Let's see when.
    Meanwhile I installed handlebar raisers and a bigger foot on the side stand, trying to get ready fro when the pavement ends.

IMG_3220.jpg

Istanbul has been a blast eating, drinking and going out. Three days resting with not riding was good for my body, I was exhausted.
    According to my GPS tracker I rode more than 52 hours in 9 days.

Image-1.png

Stray cats are a thing in Istanbul and they love my bike seat more than I.

image1.jpeg
    IMG_3269.JPG

LRG_DSC04303.JPG

DSC04163.jpg

Tonight we are in Bursa having a meal where the Iskinder Kebab was invented. Delicious.

IMG_3346.jpg
  15. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you have my undivided attention! keep safe and keep posting
    Martincito likes this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Radioactive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Totally inspiring @Martincito . Great that you had some quality time with your GF. Sounds like a keeper! :beer
    Martincito likes this.
  17. Latebraking

Latebraking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm monitoring this thread with great fascination, since the 790 Adventure R/790 Adventure are on my radar for possible acquisition. Currently, I ride a '15 1290 SA. While in Turkey, have you seen anything about Kenan Sofuoglu? 5 time World Supersport Champion, and quite a large following, with national notoriety there at home. Ride safe!
    Martincito likes this.
  18. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was my first day riding with a passenger. I weight 158lbs (72kg) my girlfriend 120lb (55kg) and I’m taking about 60kg of luggage.
    Bike power deals fine at highway speed with all that weight but it’s a bit too much for the rear shock. The front ends get too light at low speeds. I have the preload set to max. My GS with Ohlins rides better with similar loads.
    Subaruvich, Migolito and Pcq like this.
  19. neuro

neuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Godspeed mate, I will be following. Silk Road is one of the best experiences you can have on 2 wheels!
    Martincito likes this.
  20. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend flew back to NY yesterday so I'm against t business with the ride report. It's strange as years passes I like less riding with a pillion. It's not the weight and the handling I just don't feel comfortable with the responsibility. I rode with my ex for six month to Argentina ten years ago but now I prefer to ride solo.

In Bursa after eating that amazon Iskender kebab we went to a little place and saw the whirling dervishes dancers. It was very interesting trance like experience seeing those people for one hour spinning non stop.
    DSC04357.jpg

From Bursa we rode to Bergama, ancient Pergamun. We stopped for gas and we got offered some tea to rest a bit. People are very nice here in Turkey.

DSC04358.jpg

DSC04368.jpg

DSC04399.jpg

In Izmir I visited the 5th KTM dealer on this trip to see if finally the wheels could be fixed. They adjusted the spoke and re balanced them. The mechanic told me that they were really bad, not sure if for hitting pothole or form quality control at the factory. Honestly I was riding paved roads in good conditions so if they got banged for riding it would mean they re made of butter, I hope was just a quality control issue.

IMG_3453.jpg

Izmir it's a beautiful city, very liberal and more secular that the ones we visited before. It was nice not waking up at 5am with loud speakers calling to pray.

From there we headed to Bodrum a touristic resort town, not too interesting but I found my next purchase.

DSC04476.jpg

Attached Files:

dezertpilot, MrMac and jbraslins like this.