Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got pulled over for speeding. Cops here are hard to deal with and even colder and showing less empathy than in the US.

IMG_3549.jpg

:lol3

IMG_3560.jpg

Now I'm close to Antalya resting in a beautiful campground. The road to here was quite epic. Like a hundred miles of twisties with the ocean on the right and mountains on the left

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.25.16 PM.png

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg
    ferals5, wilfred, mcmann and 13 others like this.
  2. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL you had me there with the pull-over story until I scrolled down to the next picture :). Just goes to show how 2D photography uses our brains to fill in the missing information.
    Martincito likes this.
  3. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did the KTM hold up with both of you on it?
  4. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Valuable information! Thanks
  5. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the beach I headed to the mountains of Cappadocia. It was a long drive quite scenic through mountain roads.

I was in Spain and Italy for Eastern, then Greece for Orthodox Eastern and now they are in Ramadan in Turkey. They are ok serving food to travelers but is so different now. People here are all the time in the streets sipping tea, now when I ride through farm towns they are sitting outside but drinking nothing.

I stopped on a restaurant in the road and a bus full of Chinese tourist stopped as well, saw my bike and starting taking photos with me. I may become popular next time I travel over there.
    IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

Cappadocia is very beautiful and the landscapes are astounding and great to ride around but the touristic attractions itself can get quite Disneyworld. I camped two days there on a magnificent location.

DSC04491.jpg DSC04536.jpg

Got lost at some point on this road but not far from the town.

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg IMG_3656.jpg

Attached Files:

ferals5, bomose, wilfred and 11 others like this.
  6. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I woke up with loud noises, opened the tent and have this
    for my eyes.

IMG_3691.jpg

DSC04604.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

I packed up and headed to the Black Sea where I'm writing this now. I spent 12 hours in the bike and got here exhausted. Today I'm crossing to Georgia.
    Bike is riding great but there is some air in the brakes and feel quite bad. In two days I'll be in Tbilisi and get a KTM dealer (6th in the trip so far) to take a look at it.
    Also I al out run of fuel on a mountain pass. I have to coast all my way down to get to a gas station. It was the first time that passed the 400km on a tank.

The road up to here was quite impressive.
    DSC04610.jpg
    mb300, ferals5, TwistiRider and 9 others like this.
  7. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few screen grabs from the Gopro. I got one for the trip and still figuring out how to get the best of it. Mounting, format, etc. Any advice on that?
    So far I have it mounted on my left mirror and using time-lapse to grab pictures, eventually is the road is great I switch to video mode.

G0110717-1.jpg

GX010378.jpg

GX010380.jpg
    ferals5, Rich Rider, Saso and 3 others like this.
  8. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C18A0E3F-C7A5-48BA-8AF8-D909A0CD9663.jpeg Yesterday’s ride.
    stokerel, TOTim and jbraslins like this.
  9. madend

madend n00b

Oddometer:
    If you have time try to do Soganli Pass from Bayburt to Uzungol. Unpaved road full of hairpins and incredible scenery.
    Martincito likes this.
  10. beltipox

beltipox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello great report. About the GoPro the settings depend on the camera model and what you want to achieve: great video? great photo? a final video to elaborate?
    Generally speaking light is your best ally, and if you have enough sd space you can record in 4k. More light less framerate, and viceversa, until you need framerate to make slow motion videos. Can you edit the video making color correction? well use flat color profile, otherwise use gopro color.

Change often the place of the camera to show different angles, so you can show the scenery, or you can be more personal showing your face, or the bike. Do some timelapse of scenery mountains, maybe when the sun is raising. Well there are a lot of advice, on YT you can find a lot of tutorials...but ask anything you want and i'll try to help :)
    edgeoftheworld and Martincito like this.
  11. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had big expectations on this trip about Georgia. Is not a touristic place yet but it's up and coming to become a main destination so better catch it before gets ruined.
    Django Reinhardt has it always on his mind.
    I crossed the border from Turkey to Batumi, Georgia, a beach destination on the Black Sea.
    IMG_3744.jpg

A place where you can play pool in the parks. I didn't play, actually I never played pool at daylight without a beer on my hand.

IMG_3741.JPG

From there I headed up to Kutaisi, the second biger city after Tbilisi. It has a famous church.
    IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

Drivers in Georgia are really bad. Italian may be worse because they are very aggressive but Georgians they just drive awful in a senseless way. There is a lot of crashes.
    IMG_3823.jpg

Gory, birthplace of Joseph Stalin.

IMG_3784.jpg

I left my bike at Bikeland a motorcycle shop and get a oil change and front braked needed bleeding, there it was some air on them and the lever was getting loose.
    The bike next device was spouse to happen at 15k km but I don't feel comfortable not changing the oil for so long so I have an intermediated service at 7k.

There is a very good night life scene and great food in Tbilisi. The city is small but with great views. I really recommend visiting.
    IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg
    mb300, ferals5, tr1z and 6 others like this.
  12. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Tbilisi I rode north to prepare crossing the border with Russia. Beautiful roads though the mountains towards Stepanstminda. Georgia.
    IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

One of my favorite places ever where I've camped with a motorcycle is Meat Cove in Nova Scotia but this one could be my new favorite.

IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

Attached Files:

mb300, ferals5, jeckyll and 16 others like this.
  13. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Futuristic architecture at the waterfront. Reminds me of SciFi illustrations of what life would be like in the year 2000 haha!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next day crossing to Russia was a pain in the ass. I use my Argentinean passport that doesn't need visa fro Russia, the agents in general where nice and talking about soccer with me all the time but I goes sent to a room for questioning, had to give them my phones and passwords, etc. Four hours to cross the border plus two more riding till Grozny, the capital of Chechenia.

IMG_3962.jpg

Grozny got devastated after the war so everything has been rebuilt, looks new and has some nice parks and a beautiful mosque.

IMG_3967.jpg

KFC adaptation to the local market.

IMG_3964.jpg
  15. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Is that you laying out next to the tent...time for a shave.
  16. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Looking forward to seeing the more of the trip. Safe travels.
  17. mokhtario

mokhtario dirt, sand & rocks

Oddometer:
    Riding with Adam and his KTM 790 R
    dtaski likes this.
  18. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    What IS that laying by your tent? Food? Local mutt? Tired sheep? Pillow?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a dog, a shepherd taking care of animals and tourist like me. Was very protective, barking to anything getting close to m tent.
  20. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys again for the lapse. I've been riding a very desolated area between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. Five days, no people few gas stations and poor internet. Yesterday was my first non ride day for almost a week. Now I'm in Bukhara heading to Samarkanda and I will take some days off to rest and update the RR.
    ex-xt, mb300, jeckyll and 8 others like this.