Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay safe man. (Do you carry a SPOT or Garmin InReach etc so you can find help if needed?)
  2. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Gamin in Reach and I have a GPS tracker on the bike so my family can see in real time where I am. The GPS tracker works also as security device. If someone touches or moves the bike I get an alert on my phone.
    mb300, Equalo and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. rob_bdb

rob_bdb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What GPS tracker are you using?
  4. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Equalo and Migolito like this.
  5. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After Grozny I headed to Astrakhan, Russia.

IMG_4478.jpg

The roads were completely empty but in very good shape, lot of police and checkpoints. The Dagestan area is still under some violent activity. Chechenia is safer I believe.

IMG_4012.jpg

In Astrakhan I was suppose to get a set of TKC80, my order got screwed up and I got just a front one. So I've been riding with a TKC front and Avon Trailrider back. This was my last chance to get new tires before hitting the rougher parts. Before the Pamir Highway I can get a Shinko 130/70 instead of 150/70. I asked around and apparently is ok to hunt it on m bilke it I'll be happy to ear some opinions about it.

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

Astrakhan is a beautiful town on the delta from by the Volga river leading to the Caspian Sea. I really enjoyed my two days there. I was resting knowing that I had a few hard days ahead.

IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4027.jpg
    mb300, Equalo, edgeoftheworld and 5 others like this.
  6. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Astrakhan I crossed through the delta and reached the town of Atyrau in Kazakhstan. The road was destroyed, full of potholes it looked like if had being bombed carpeted. The option wasn't avoid the potholes, just decided which ones I wanted to hit.

I have to say the wheels are stronger that what I though. It took me 7 hours to ride 350km.

IMG_4477.jpg

This is the delta on the Russian side still with good roads.

IMG_4063.jpg

Kazakhstan!!!!

IMG_4074.jpg

I'm a big Borat fan and was looking to get here. To my surprise people are not Borat like at all and they are the friendliest people that I ever met. This guy came to talk to me at the gas station after those 7 hours riding and gave me a piece of bread and an orange. I was really hungry.

IMG_4071.jpg
    mb300, Equalo, edgeoftheworld and 4 others like this.
  7. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Aytrau I headed to Beyneau a dusty town not too far from the border with Uzbekistan.

IMG_4477.jpg

This is the street at my hotel.

IMG_4087.jpg

Soem other parts of the town.

IMG_4101.jpg IMG_4102.jpg IMG_4105.jpg
    mb300, Equalo, edgeoftheworld and 4 others like this.
  8. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the hardest section of my trip so far. I rode from Beyneau to the Sea of Aral. I left the hotel at 7am and got there around 7:30 pm. I rode 8 hours plus three hours at the border crossing. The rad conditions were horrible, destroyed roads plus some detours due to construction though powder roads full of trucks.
    It was also very hot and there was nowhere to stop, no water, no gas, no trees.

Camels on the back. Probably a better riding options in here.

IMG_4118.jpg

From dust to dust.

IMG_4122.jpg

GX011941_1558619866433_high.JPG

Just close the visor and was till the dust from the truck dissipates.
    IMG_4124.jpg

Got to the border. Great, I still have to ride 7 more hours after all the paperwork.

IMG_4129.jpg

Gto at least a meal at the border.

IMG_4131.jpg

Sea of Aral. I was hoping to take a dip to refresh myself. ;-)

LRG_DSC04711.JPG LRG_DSC04713.JPG LRG_DSC04725.JPG IMG_4143.jpg
    mb300, jeckyll, td63 and 9 others like this.
  9. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From here things got easier and full of touristic sights. this is the town of Khiva in Uzbekistan and the fifty fortresses. I just visited two.

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg
    IMG_4258.jpg

I don't know what I deserve or not in life but I really deserved this cold one after the last five days.

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg LRG_DSC04751.jpg LRG_DSC04756.JPG

Attached Files:

mb300, jeckyll, td63 and 14 others like this.
  10. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made new friends in Bukhara. Actually we stayed in touch through social media and met in Uzbekistan. We will be riding the Pamir Highway together. I guess these will be the first KTM Adventures doing it.

IMG_4448.jpg

Florian and Roman. Austria and Germany.

IMG_4465.jpg

Martin. Argentina-Spain-USA

IMG_4444.jpg
    mb300, td63, Equalo and 10 others like this.
  11. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to follow how you and the bikes perform. Other two look like R versions and a GS
    Best of luck stay safe !
    powderzone likes this.
  12. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report!! Are you using your phone for all of your pictures, or do you have a DSLR with you?

Safe travels!!
  13. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GS in the picture won’t be ridding with us, it’s just the KTM. I’ve ridden a 800 GS and honestly the 790 is way better and I’m a BMW rider.
    mb300 likes this.
  14. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you go for the bar raisers from KTM? Hom much did you rais it? Great journey man :-) will follow you on this one :-) Ride Safe
  15. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Great photos! :clapCan't get to retirement fast enough!
  16. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I
    I'm using m iPone X and a good compact camera Sony rx100. I wanted to save some space and honestly motorcycling and photography some times are not very compatible in my opinion. I wish I have the willingness to stop more often and take pictures.
    hgwilliam and Fabricator like this.
  17. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got them installed at the KTM dealer in Istanbul, I asked for raiser and then just install those. I think they are KTM and nit too big perhaps 1 cm or 2. Enough to ride comfortable in the road and if I tilt the handlebar I can ride standing up with good control on the levers.
    tshansen likes this.
  18. cristiano

cristiano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice rr...thanks for posting it...
  19. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Is that a 5 gallon Jerry can lashed to the MM leftside pannier! Seriously bad ass photo (improvise, overcome, adapt). Like I said before, MM should be using your photos...me thinks they will.
    BTW, a few boring questions; Can you estimate MPG? Fuel quality? RU using a tank condom? Greatest distance between fuel so far? Safety concerns?
    mb300 likes this.
  20. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a 10 liters can, I carried it on the bags just when was empty, when full was way too heavy and I carried it strapped to the passenger seat.
    I can do with a full tank about 450km. The display tells you that your range is way lower but at the end I could make it with almost a liter to spare. The estimation it's very conservative. I would say that the mpg is about 22km per liter.
    I'm not using any extra filter for the fuel, I tried to get one but I got my bike at early times and nothing was available.
    I was using an app iOverlander with very useful information about where to get good gas (also camp sites, hostels, etc) on the road and with a bit of planing I managed to get to the worst part of Uzbekistan using ok fuel and octane booster.
    No safety concerns.
    mb300, Equalo, edgeoftheworld and 2 others like this.