Madrid(NYC)-Mongolia solo on a KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martincito, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Blurred

Blurred Mo-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your trip report!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. Pau.Bonco

Pau.Bonco R 1200 GS LC '16

Oddometer:
    Amazing, ride safe!
  3. Criss the French

Criss the French n00b

Oddometer:
    I like your trip report !!! Thanks
    ride safe and enjoy your trip

Chris
  4. G B

G B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Martincito likes this.
  5. Biffalo

Biffalo n00b

Oddometer:
    subscribed

Safe travels!
  6. Wayneski

Wayneski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For video and stills here is the best approach I've seen and used.
    [​IMG]

Its the Gripper Mount that clips on the chin portion or your helmet or WHEREVER YOU WANT IT.
    https://www.dango-design.com/ $50 US. I would order one and have it shipped to the next KTM dealer on your ride.

Video on the HELMET. I've had GoPros and also gimbals withe GoPros mounted all over: side, top, etc. But taking video mounted at your chin is the best. Video is way more stable than other mount locations. But best is that you can INSTANTLY TAKE GOPRO OFF YOUR HELMET AND CLIP IS SOMEWHERE ELSE OR HAND HOLD IT for special occasions.

TAKING VIDEO: Hopefully you have a GoPro 5 or above. The 6 onward has wonderful image stabilization and you'll wanna ride with that on all the time. And you'll wanna shoot at 4K, 30fps that way you'll end up with movie quality video that you can grab stills from that look like you shot high res stills......really. You would think that with all the actioni/movement on your bike you'd wanna shoot at 60fps but don't; for some reason it does not translate well and is not good for low lit situations. 30fps is great even for high action environments.

MICRO SD cards: the GoPro 6 can take 256GB micro SD cards (even tho I think they say 128GB is max....its not). They're cheap now. I carry 4 now....a terrabite of space my God! Never have to download, etc.

Best wishes on your trip. I just shipped my modified KTM 990R to EU for riding there starting July 1 in Italy. Too bad we won't be running into each other. My 790R is ordered here in Denver and I should have it in 2 weeks. I'll be thinking of you.
    Martincito and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. jbraslins

jbraslins Latvian Gangstah

Oddometer:
    I use ProShot chin mount. Perfect camera angle.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTXWAZK

Video example (this is on a full face mountain biking helmet, but it works same on motorcycle helmets):

It uses velcro strips and wedges on the sides of the helmet. A little less easy to remove/install than post before this one recommends, but super solid.
    Martincito and Motopumps like this.
  8. Wayneski

Wayneski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, Gorgious.

MEAT COVE. Also love, love, love it. While on the hwy looking down at the beach I saw all these swimmers out there. Whaaaaaaa? It's got to be freezing. NO. Went down there and got in. Apparently the St Lawrence Seaway(?) pushes warm water around the N end of Nova Scotia. And....love Nova Scotia in general. It's like the US in 1950 only with internet. :0)
    AngusMcL, Martincito and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After Bukhara we headed the tree of us to monumental Samarkand.

LRG_DSC04871.jpg

LRG_DSC04941.jpg

LRG_DSC04936.jpg

LRG_DSC04860.jpg

DSC04885.jpg
    Ikeya-Seki, mb300, ferals5 and 11 others like this.
  10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    horsti likes this.
  11. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then we crossed the border to Tajikistan. Very friendly border crossing. We wild camped a few kilometers away in Iskanderkul a beautiful lake.

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

Then instead of taking the straight road to Dushanbe (capital of Tajikistan) through a succession of tunnels we decided to get there crossing a mountain pass that someone on the rod recommended us.

The road was a bit rough but the traffic jam was worse than the Holland tunnel on a Friday afternoon but instead of car there was sheeps, a lot of them and we had to ride through the herd a couple of times.

GX012044.jpg

GX012045.jpg
    GX011985.jpg

GX011985-1.jpg

We got almost to the top of the mountain pass but was too early on the season and the snow hadn't melted yet and was impossible to cross it. We did it over a small amount but then it ws way too much to pass it and we didn't know was coming after so we went back, this time passing the herds was easy because the were going on the opposite direction. We rode 60km up and down on dirt and then we took the normal road to Dushanbe.

IMG_4717.jpg

New rear tire and shampoo for the bike. I paid $200 for a Shinko, it may be posted right now on the Guinness records but didn't have any option. The mechanic explained to me that was due to shipping and import taxes.

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg
  12. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was late on the day but wasn't super crowed anyways. Uzbekistan is really beautiful to visit, riding is honestly quite boring just straight roads in the desert. I was very happy to see mountains again in Tajikistan.
  13. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And now the fun starts.
    After Dushanbe we headed to the Pamir Highway. Right now I'm writing in a hostel that is basically at 200 meters from Afghanistan.
    We decided again to take the less travelled road and get here crossing a mountain pass.
    IMG_4805.jpg

Everything was ok till we found a bridge that was washed by the water and we need to cross it. It wasn't very deep but due to the snow melting in the mountains the current was very strong and the river bed was just loose rounded stones. No grip at all, it was even difficult to walk on it. We decided to walk the bikes one by one.
    This is Carlo, our new friend that we just met a the road riding a Royal Enfield Himalayan.
    IMG_4774.jpg

And this is myself cursing on every language.

c9842bfc-1f52-41a1-9178-e22b0f5fdfb3.JPG
    We wild camped here that night, boots full of water ad totally exhausted after a full day riding finishing with the river surprise.

C69F8EAC-EE01-4E22-8AB6-D603502B5E9C.jpg

Next day (today) we again decided to go the long way through another pass. It was really beautiful but again to found another river crossing a bit easier but with strong current and loose base. Again we got wet but kept riding to the top of the mountain and luckily there wasn't that much snow and we were able to crossed it.
    GX012051-1.jpg

GX012051.jpg

GX012052.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg
    ex-xt, mb300, powderzone and 27 others like this.
  14. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow just wow - what a great trip you are taking and fantastic pics / report
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this report
    I'll be watching for more
    Martincito likes this.
  15. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I'm normally a fan of hard luggage when riding solo in remote places but I can't help feel the KTM Touratech box setup on your friends’ bikes is way too wide.

Now you are riding with guys on 'R' models do you feel there's much difference on the soft of dirt roads you are doing?

I love the photos of Samarkand. I had a photographer friend who rode his bicycle from UK to Mongolia before being hospitalised and his photos wetted my appetite.
    hgwilliam likes this.
  16. beltipox

beltipox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First thing you learn on the field is to avoid putting all the eggs in the same basket. You understand why when you lost a SD Card with one or more day of perfect shooting. 64GB is the maximum risk i'll take in this kind of trip.

PS if you need advice for south italy, just ask :D
  17. TSPKTM

TSPKTM Ride 'em Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Enjoying. Excellent RR.
  18. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    To ride this kind of country successfully, you must need real stones...kudos!!
  19. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    scenery and pics of Samarkand remind me of days long ago when I was up in and around Mazar-I Sharif.

Oh the fat tail sheep are something to behold lol
    elron likes this.