Madrid, Rental choices?? Transalp!!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Mack, Sep 7, 2002.

1. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    Six more weeks and I'll be in Espana as well.
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Mack, you could be related to Baldy!
  3. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Peter,

Make sure you bring your rain gear. The trip has been far better then my expectations, it has been simply awesome all around, from the riding, the Spanish people, the night life, my fellow riders, etc. Everything was great, but the rain also far exceeded my expectations! I went up to Puerto del Pico today, and almost had to worry about ice, the overnight low was -2C, with leftover snow along the road. Alas the roads were wet, and it was damn cold, but no ice, thank goodness. In Seville now, and it was wet the whole way from Madrid, it would not have been so bad on my VFR, but on the GS I was a soaked rat! The roads where better then I had expected down south, much like the Texas Hill Country.
    I plan to head into Gibralter tomorrow, doubt I will be able to see Africa, too many clouds! Should head back to Madrid for an overnight stay Wednesday, heading out first thing Thursday morning. Though I am really not ready to leave Spain.

Cheers, Mack
  4. P. Urquell

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about all the rain but it sounds like you're having a great time nonetheless. More pics please!
  5. Mack

Oddometer:
    hola Peter

More Pics soon, and yes it was an all around wonderfully great trip. Headed home today, hopefully BA and AA can get me back home without too many hitches!

Peter, what areas/roads are you planning to ride?

More Later, Saludos, Mack
  6. zero-zero

zero-zero Horny Horned One

Oddometer:
    Too bad I just found this thread today, I could have given a lot of pointers. Glad you had a good time over here, and that for once, somebody decided to see the north of Spain (ok, we'll forgive your little Seville stint).

Urquell, remember to bring your best rain gear! we're having the rainiest fall I remember in a long time, and I think the winter will follow suit, and be cold as a reindeer's ass too!

Jorge, saludos del "gallego cabrĂ³n" :1drink
  7. P. Urquell

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice Z-Z. I'll be in the south (Marbella, Ronda, Sevilla, etc.) the whole trip so it should be relatively mild and dry. Unfortunately I'll only get a chance to rent a bike for a couple of days in Seville. If it rains, I'll wimp out and resort to plan B (eat, drink, eat, drink ...).:1drink
  8. Mack

Oddometer:
    Well Guys, I had to laugh, I was listening to Radio News this AM for the first time in a month here in the states, and one of the first stories was about the Space Shuttle launch being postponed do to heavy rain in Spain!!!! Seems that Spain has an emergency landing field for mission aborts just after launch. Guess I can't whine about the weather, if even NASA has to deal with it as well.

Zero-Zero, Still glad to have you here in the padded room, better late then never. I have to agree the North was the best part of the trip, though in my book all of Spain that I was fortunate enough to see, was pretty damn remarkable. I would add that anywhere in the mountains, be it North, South, East or West was awesome.

Peter, I realize you may not have the weather or a bike at the time, but the ride into Ronda is very, very nice. If you stay in Ronda, the Hotel San Gabriel is really nice "Su casa en Ronda", the staff was great, and it is only a block or two from the bridge. Though as I did experience the most rain of the entire trip in the South. As I stated earlier the weather from Madrid to Puerto del Pico was wet, but from Seville, to Gibralter, and on to Ronda was REALLY wet. But it can't go on forever, so I would expect you may get some decent weather. Being from the Pacific Northwest, it did not phase me much, and it really added to the beauty of the country side, the air being so clear with the rain, and everything so green. However, it made the riding a bit harder, and really hampered my efforts in taking pictures.

I hope to do up a decent trip report, and edit some pics, just have to find the time someway, somehow. Later Mack

JPG-Palacio Real de Olite