Magic Earth App

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by robxxx, Jul 21, 2019.

1. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else try it? Free app and free maps. Can be used on or offline. Uses OSM maps.
    So far seems beter than OSMand to me. No extra money, 3d or 2d navigation, feels like a nicer version of Google maps.

https://www.generalmagic.com/magic-earth

Screenshot_20190721-203040.png Screenshot_20190721-203137.png Screenshot_20190721-203205.png
    ahebron and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  2. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an open support ticket, because the autozoom while active navigation zooms way to much inside. You have really no overview on highways and major streets. Otherwise I do like the app. Awaiting answer from the support (may last some time) - until this: uninstalled.
  3. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you import a track?
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Never knew about this app.

I just spent the last 30 minutes or so playing around with it, and took it for a spin with CarPlay in my car.

It’s a little rough around the edges still; it gives me some weird lane guidance suggestions, and I saw that a major road near my house was misnamed, but there’s a lot of potential here. The app looks good.

Thanks for posting this.

Jamie
  5. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm going to try this a few days..

Thanks!!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Giving it a try.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I fully expect this app to take some time to mature, and it probably will never be as polished as Google or Apple Maps.

But that it supports OSM natively is fantastic, and it looks to have some great features.

I’m going to keep it on my phone and watch the updates and follow along as it progresses.

Jamie
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not discovered it yet. And a search round their support pages gives no clue's. Although, strangely, you do seem to be able to import POI's as .kml/.kmz files, which I found odd. Most other programmes/apps use .poi for them. Strange. So might have a play with that sometime.

In my opinion only, and the limited time that I have used it, has always been better than Google maps. But then I did download full UK maps for Magic, but used Google maps via data. So maybe not a fully fair comparison when you run into a low signal area. Map sizes seem large. Full UK maps are 932Mb. HERE maps, including POI's and the 3D buildings works out around 295Mb. Don't know why the big difference?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed, for street navigation it's fast and light. I could see me using this instead of Google maps.

Screenshot_20190723-202542.png
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Downloaded it and gonna giver it a whirl. Website has a nice table of contents with step by steps of how to. The app has it too. Those ought to make it way less painless for folks testing the waters of "AndNav".:D
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Pretty slick so far and the satellite view is way cool.
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I haven't found a way to load a track to it yet... anyone had success yet?
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Nah I haven't tried yet, still playing with the optional voices and all the basic user stuff. The street name call out for up coming turns is very nice.
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t appear that’s possible.

I haven’t looked into who built the app or any history behind it, but it’s almost certainly not designed for off-road users. I suspect (I’m only guessing) they’re trying to go the same route (har har) as Waze. This is purely for road users.

That said, there are instructions in the support files to download Points of Interest, so that’s promising. Perhaps in a future update, tracks will be included.

I like this app because I’m mostly a road user. And I’ve been a big fan of OSMaps and I’m glad to see a navigation app using that data natively with the ability to download whatever regions you’d like.

Jamie
    ohgood and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I’m liking the aesthetics. The 3D view shows actual topography, and a representation of the sky, including clouds and at night, the stars.

C6539300-C570-43D3-8111-A3379F8CFDFC.png

Jamie
    ohgood and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surely the Guru Maps (Gallileo) is the same in that regard.
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I played around a bit more today with this app, using Apple CarPlay in my car. The UI is a bit different than using it on your mobile device, but the functionality is similar.

Found a wonderful feature that shows some of the attention to detail and potential of this app. On a loop through a canyon road, I went through a couple of tunnels and noticed that my screen went into dark mode inside the tunnels. This isn’t a function of CarPlay or any settings I made. The map data seems to know where the tunnels are, and Magic Earth uses that information to darken the screen. Nice.

On the other hand, it still gives wonky lane guidance on occasion. I also noticed that interstate exit numbers are not displayed, just the street name. I’m sure that’ll be fixed in a future update. I saw that the developers are from Europe, so it might take a bit to get US information properly displayed.

I’m not familiar with Guru Maps.

Jamie
  19. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    In what regard? I use Guru a lot, it's great for importing tracks.
  20. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree re Guru that is why I posted that:D