Magic Earth App

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by robxxx, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    So, how does Magic Earth compare to say Locus? Do you have to download maps within the map or can you install external?
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's road navigation only. very simple, very quick
    Eatmore Mudd and plumer1kt like this.
  3. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that i can add "through" points and schedule the route beside the standard filters - avoid, tolls, highways, fastest or shortest route etc.-
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did two tests from my location to next turn,then i compared the results with Google earth.
    First at 85 meters second at 160 meters.
    First test was off by +2 meters,second was -5 meters .
    Counting my phone's accuracy and that the app may round values ,seemed ok with me.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunno if anyone here will have more information about this than I can find online... but any idea how often (if ever) the offline maps are updated on your device?

When I started using Magic Earth a few weeks back, I found a few errors in my local area, which I fixed online on the Open Street Map website. My revisions appear on the OSM website. But... they still haven't shown up in my Magic Earth app. I've searched through the app to find a way to re-download the updated maps for my state, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, and searching online offered no solutions.

Jamie
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I dunno, maybe try deleting the map on your device and download a fresh map and see if it has the correction you posted on OSM ?
    Maybe send an email to the ME developers and ask what the update schedule is ?
    plumer1kt likes this.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Why didn't I think of that?

Doing that now...

And... nope. My updates aren't on the new download. Weird. Oh well, it's not such a big deal as the only thing I fixed was a new business name, and a couple of street name typos.

Apparently they're not downloading the maps directly from Open Street Map. They must have their own servers holding the map data which doesn't appear to be updated all that often.

Jamie
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Another possibility could be: maybe they are a small team and possibly don't have the time to download from OSM as frequently as other developer groups ? Just spitball-ing here.
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Oh, definitely a small team. Magic Earth has only been around for a little more than a year, so far as I can tell, but for such a new product, it's got some great features. In another year or two, I think they'll be on par with the big players.

As for the maps... seems like that would be a high-priority thing, to get updated maps out to the devices. In any case, no big deal. I just thought it was surprising that there doesn't seem to be a good way to update the maps on your device with the most recent OSM maps.

Jamie
  10. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190929-134751.png Screenshot_20190929-134757.png
    Oops!I have a map update ready to install...
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    ohgood and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maps just updated again to 7.357 Includes OSM changes that I did here in Australia on 14th October, but not 28th October to give you guys an idea of how recent the changes are.
    Jamie Z and ohgood like this.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I noticed the same thing. I made a few edits in the last couple of weeks and they didn't show up in the update.

I'm really confused about the lane guidance. In my area, I'd estimate that about one out of every three intersections gives me the wrong lane guidance even though the navigation is correct. I've double-checked the map and the lanes appear to be properly marked, but yet when I drive the routes, it'll often direct me to turn one way or another, but the lane guidance will point me in the lane that goes straight, or the other way around. I'm directed to go straight, but the lane guidance points me into one of the turn lanes.

That's not vital, but if it's there, it should work right, and it doesn't, and I can't figure out why.

In any case, I'm still very enthused about this app. It's still very, very new. It took Apple years to get their maps right, so I expect Magic Earth will need a few years to mature, and as more people use it and edit the Open Street Maps, the data will get better and better.

Jamie
    gavmac likes this.
  14. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did the app update...:-)
    Better layout ,seems quicker and i now the app changes to night mode when i pass through tunnels...
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The updates to this app over the last few months have been excellent. This app has a ton of features that other apps wish they had. I like where this app is heading. As a nerd, I like all the options available to me for phone/tablet navigation and this one ticks a lot of the boxes for me. It is incredible to have this many options available to us on mobile devices.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to delete maps from the Android app? Playing around I downloaded a bunch of maps that I don’t really need. And now I can’t figure out how to delete them from my device.

On iOS I can go into my saved maps and delete them by swiping left. Easy:

A5AEA44B-1683-4398-B1A8-D7E9865ADA03.jpeg

Android doesn’t have the same functionality, and I can find no documentation explaining how to delete maps.

5F66AC61-B6DD-4D27-9064-8CEF2BBABDC1.jpeg
  17. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Press here
    IMG_20200725_040516_630.jpg
    It will open a window with the downloaded maps.
    Long press to delete
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    That's what I've tried. Nothing happens. Tried long press. Tried swiping. Don't know what else to do.

Does that work for you?
  19. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes!
    I made a short video.Hope it's helpful.

I downloaded a small map (American Samoa) that now is deleted from my device.
    Tried that on all 3 devices i have with different Android OS.The app in the device shown in the video is the first,no updates on that device.
    But it's the same way if i want to delete a map.
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Gah! That's it.

Mine requires a really long press. Like... two full seconds before the delete option pops up.

Thank you!
    plumer1kt likes this.