Magic Earth App

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by robxxx, Jul 21, 2019.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I were asking for enhancements, I'd like the Maps to be compressed just a bit and then their Map Server might download a bit faster.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  2. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Settings- accessibility -touch & hold delay , choose what is better for you!
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me. I've got a Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2 and Magic Earth is unstable. Frequently crashes. It's unusable.

It's hard to pinpoint a pattern, but I think the crashes only happen when I'm also using an audio app. I mostly listen to podcasts on Podcast Addict. I occasionally listen to offline music using Musicolet.

If I'm listening to audio through my Sena Bluetooth unit, and I've got Magic Earth running, eventually Magic Earth will just stop. The app locks up. This happens whether I'm actively navigating a route, or if I've just got the app open following my location on the map.

Most of the time, that's what happens. Magic Earth stops responding. I can force close the app and restart it and it'll work fine again until it locks up again. Sometimes, the whole phone crashes. The audio stops. The screen turns black. And after a few seconds my home screen will reappear. I can restart the apps and they work fine... until it happens again.

I've tried this with and without Magic Earth sounds and it happens either way.

So far, it seems like if I don't have any audio apps running, Magic Earth performs fine. I use my audio apps with several other mapping/navigation apps and I have no problems with any of the others.

I emailed the developers about this problem more than a week ago; I've gotten no response. There was an update released recently and I hoped maybe the problem would be fixed... but it's not. Took the bike out today and the same thing happened. I used Magic Earth to route me to my destination and about 10 minutes into the ride, the whole app crashed. I used OsmAnd to route me the rest of the way and had no further problems.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. And mostly hoping there's some sort of fix.

Jamie
  4. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have Magic Earth talking to you as well, maybe just try turning off the sound from ME and use visual, see if that improves things. I don't have a Duraforce so can't help there.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ve tried with and without Magic Earth notifications. Same thing.
    gavmac likes this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Still diggin' it. Map updates are pretty effin' good, and quick.
    gavmac likes this.