Magic String Edventure - This ain't gonna be no vacation. Going deep in Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Feb 21, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finding gas in Laos is easy. There are gas stations every few miles on the main roads. And even gas stations in the smallest of towns.
    But in the smaller villages, they sell the gas out of one liter bottles brought in from the nearest town. I wasn't exactly running on empty, but I decided to stop and put a liter in just in case. The self service was a nice touch.
    crashkorolyk, HiJincs, Seba1 and 20 others like this.
  2. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Ed, i gotta say - your demeanour is truly impressive in these videos. you are a shining star.
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This is where I slept my first night in Laos.

It was getting late and I needed to find a place to sleep. I had been riding along a road/trail the parallels the Mekong River. I noticed this place and made a mental note of it. On my GPS, I saw a some town up ahead about 4 miles where I was hoping to find some food. I rode into the village and found one restaurant (well it seemed like a restaurant) but the woman just waved me away. So I headed back up the street and looked more carefully and found another place where I could eat some noodle soup.
    After dinner, I rode back to the place I found on the Mekong and called it my home for the night. Price was right. The view was spectacular. And I slept well. What more could I ask for?

I am not posting all my videos on Advrider. So come see them all if you are interested in seeing more on my FB page.

x
    twflybum, td63, powderzone and 17 others like this.
  4. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Ed, speaking of bugs...what's your worst bug bite so far. Hope you never had one of those bot fly deposits. Saw a video of a woman that had about five of those big larvae tweezed out of her upper arm! I had a tick once where you would least want it!
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The mosquito that gave me malaria in West Africa.
    VisionPilot and 95Monster like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Pretty much every bridge like this is a toll bridge. You are free to cross the water if you can make it. But most water crossings, someone has built a bridge of very marginal quality.
    I usually opt for the bridge because I dont like getting my boots wet. Plus they are more fun.
    [​IMG]
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This is one of my favorite videos. If it doesn't make you smile, then you must be having a really bad day.
    It gives you an idea of the reaction I get when I ride thru these small villages in Northern Laos.
    It is obvious they don't see many Westerners riding a big motorcycle

andymoto, twflybum, BruceT and 23 others like this.
  8. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Gasoline Gal's Momma keeping an eye on you!
    shuswap1 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  9. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed. Just found you again during a sleepless night in Georgia. Like so many others I'm glad you are doing your thing again. Be safe.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    But I see you are following along on IG and FB. Welcome to my latest RR on Advrider
  11. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. News to me. Where's my tinfoil hat?
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Maintaining my Good Karma
    While riding thru a remote part of Northern Laos, I was flagged down by ths guy with a brooken chain on his motorcycle. I stopped and helped him out with some tools and parts to get him back on the road. Unfortunately, the safety wire and zip ties didn't hold his chain together and he didn't get very far.
    I couldn't just leave him there so we went into the jungle, pulled out some heavy duty vines and formed a rope. We tied one end to my bike and the other end to his.
    I towed him all the back to his village in the opposite direction so he was safely home.
    It was nearly dark by that point, which made it more difficult for me to find a place to sleep. But in the end, helping the guy out was the right thing to do. And if I was ever in the same position, I would hope someone would help me (I do carry with me a spare chain, 2 master links, chain breaker and chain lube, so being prepared is also important because good karma only goes so far).
    Later, I found a cool place to sleep and all was good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oic, orv, twflybum and 25 others like this.
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed....you MacGyver'd a way to get the guy home and he didn't offer you dinner and a place to sleep? No worries, though, you just carry on. Cool.
    VisionPilot likes this.
  14. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s great!
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I thought he might offer (and I was sort of hoping he would) but he probably thought I had a room booked at the Marriott ......
    mb300, shuswap1, VisionPilot and 3 others like this.
  16. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Looks like mission accomplished so far, staying focused on the ride, and not a two legged Edventure. Not that's there anything wrong with that.
    But if you want to look Joop back up, we support your decision...Great videos, and thanks for taking us along!
  17. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Unexpected stories like this one is what I cherish the most from travels... One can plan where to go, what to see, where to sleep, what to eat... But the spontaneous aspect of a trip is what makes it alluring to me.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I totally agree.
    This whole trip was spontaneous.
    I flew in, got my bike, sat down with my maps and came up with a rough plan. I didnt know where I would wind up each day or where I would go exactly. I just sat out each morning to visit some places to achieve some personal goal. And what happened in between just sort of flowed.
    So many people plan their vacation to the extent that the only thing that is really gained are photos of them in images that are already engrained in their minds.
    When traveling, the one thing that is best to leave behind- is a schedule and a definitive plan
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I did call Joop. She politely declined my offer to have a beer together. She is in a relationship and nothing good would have come from us meeting.........from her perspective
    mb300, #1Fan, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I recall traveling as a child pulling our trailer. This one time my mother announced at noon we'd stop for tuna sandwiches. My dad said, "what if we feel like hot dogs?". Mom said, "we'll feel like hot dogs on Thursday". That was the home I grew up in.
    mb300, Tomaso, HiJincs and 4 others like this.