Magic String Edventure - This ain't gonna be no vacation. Going deep in Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Feb 21, 2019.

1. cBJr

cBJr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    whiney people bring down an otherwise awesome thread. If you aren't satisfied, don't worry, you'll get a full refund since you weren't entertained to your liking.

Ed, thanks so much for documenting your trip and telling us the story.
    andymoto, twflybum, forgorin and 13 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use FB to host my videos. They are easy to upload and I can schedule them so they are shown at the times I chose.
    I get busy when I am traveling and it is convenient for me, especially when I am away from my computer and trying to operate with only my cheap little phone.
    I sometimes post a link to the videos here, but that takes an extra step and extra valuable time.
    And since I am doing this ride report without compensation, I am trying to convey my stories in the most efficient way I know.
    StanBo, forgorin, 7thson and 34 others like this.
  3. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Ed
    I am really enjoying your report that you are giving us for free at your expense. :clap

I’m absolutely positive that there are hundreds times more here who will gladly accept and enjoy your reports however you present them, than the few who b!tch about how you do it.
    Please carry on — on your terms and ignore those few.
    Thanks again
    Loving this report as much as all your priors.
    BB
    7thson, Cloud-9, shuswap1 and 10 others like this.
  4. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    I'm with BB and cBJr. Most of us will take what we can get. I, for one, remain amazed by how much you manage to post with all the galavanting you've been doing. You are telling you story here; those not happy with the reference to other sites for videos can just skip the videos and move on.

Thanks for sharing all this!
    Brian
  5. BoxerPilot

BoxerPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed- I do not post much but wanted to say I enjoy your reports immensely!

Would love to do half of what you have done

Keep rolling and ignore the noise....
    R.E.D., JMB_ADV and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok back to the RR.

Laos is an unusually friendly country.....at least they were to me.
    I lost count how many times this scenario happened.
    I am riding along thru a small village and there is some sort of party, at someone's house or business, and they welcomed me in. Always beer and food are involved. Sometimes I dont even have to get off my bike. They bring me a beer and use chopsticks to put food directly into my mouth.
    I stopped at this little store to buy something cold to drink and pretty soon I am part of their celebration.
    Everyone was giving beer and then more beer. I had to stop drinking as I still had a way to ride that day. I never want to be rude but I also know when i need to say when.
    Everyone was friendly towards me except for one old man. He was motioning for me to leave. I am not sure why. Maybe he was the one buying the beer and didnt want to share it with me. In any event, i stayed for 5 minutes, took these photos, said my goodbyes and left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    StanBo, MaNDan, BillUA and 29 others like this.
  7. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    Lalo, Thank you for your explanation of why you post your ride reports on Facebook.
    I now understand. With all the effort necessary for you to post this report I can greatly appreciate the convenience factor.
    There was no whining intended, it was only a question.

2 things.
    1) Some of you guys are a little quick to judge.
    2) Facebook is not your friend!
    Grynch, BillUA, ExplorerFrog and 5 others like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am trying to NOT stay in hotels here in Laos. They arent expensive. Maybe 7 to 10 dollars a night for a room. But I am camping for the experiences that you just don't get in a room surrounded by 4 walls.
    But I do need a shower now and then. Laos is very dusty this time of year. This night I found a hot springs to clean up in.

[​IMG]

And then later that night, I found a hut in a rice field to sleep in. This one I knew was not occupied and I was able to sleep in and hang out in the next morning.

[​IMG]
    MaNDan, BillUA, forgorin and 30 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Riding along, I spot this lady making a blanket on this machine in front of her house. I took a video on the process. It must take her all day.

[​IMG]
    poppawheelie, MaNDan, BillUA and 19 others like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Check out inmate Lopburi's cool farm and compound in Northern Thailand.
    I took this video before I went into Laos
    He and his lovely wife will be meeting up with me this summer at my place I rented in the Italian Alps - in June
    Who wants to come for this party?

StanBo, MaNDan, BillUA and 28 others like this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  12. chinditone

chinditone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even though I like photos on this thread, as my location means that I have to use a vpn to access FB, I watched a couple of your videos on 2balancetheworld, and they do indeed take the viewer into the heart of what you are doing and up to - far more than photo's ever can. It's also really good to watch you "live" and to see and get your vibe of the moment. If I were a fortune teller, I would say that I can see an Edventures Travel channel on Youtube coming up, as video does capture your personailty, experience and exotic location, all in one go!!
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. It means a lot to me. I honestly don't know what direction I will go with it, but I enjoy making the videos for the reasons your mentioned.
    Maybe one day I will find a way to capitalize on it. But I noticed the people that are making money from the social media don't come across as genuine - as they have more of a motive of gaining popularity and making money than they do being real.
    MaNDan, #1Fan, RiderRick and 5 others like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    MaNDan, Foiler, VisionPilot and 12 others like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    MaNDan, Foiler, RiderRick and 9 others like this.
  16. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    You're a great Ambassador! The Magic string works in many different ways!
    forgorin, td63, jays100 and 1 other person like this.
  17. WrapItOut

WrapItOut Capo-Steve

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, greatly enjoying your edventures as usual. I'll be curious to see where your off too in the future …

So, a quick suggestion. You have 1000's of photos of your journeys over the past 6 years or so. Have you ever thought about doing a self published book (Blurb i.e.) of photos plus writing about your journeys....? Think Helge Pedersen's ' 10 Years on 2 Wheels'. Great guy by the way! Once you did a final draft, a photo editor could enhance your old lo-res photos + add HDR pop, and a word editor to assist in writing. Both of these skills can be hired relatively cheap plus you can probably locate them right here on ADV. This would take a good 4 + month effort, so not a small task! Given your audience reach, you could sell via FB 100s to perhaps 1000s. You would probably not make a lot of money but having your own book is priceless IMO anyway.
    Cheers!
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We arent supposed to talk about that stuff here. But short answer is yes. Orsi gave me the idea.
    I am taking off for Europe this summer. First stop will be Czech Republic and be reunited with my blue VFR800. I plan to spend all June in the Italian Alps. In July, I will wander around a bit. And then in August, I want to hang out on the beaches in the Balkins. And then September, hiking in the High Tatras and back to CZ. All this on $1000 a month budget. Not sure if it is possible, but that is all the money I have so it is going to have to work.
    Surely another Edventure in the making.
    Foiler, #1Fan, Sidewaysxr and 9 others like this.
  19. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Unfortunately the state department stopped inserting additional pages and you now have to get a whole new passport. It just seems like a waste of time, money, and resources.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I already had pages added to my passport in The Gambia, 3 weeks prior to the deadline cutoff.
    I am applying for a new passport. My 4th this decade
    Foiler, #1Fan, VisionPilot and 6 others like this.