Magic String Edventure - This ain't gonna be no vacation. Going deep in Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Wimke1971

Wimke1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, glad to see you are back in business!!!
    Have fun there and stay safe! Greetings from the girls here in Belgium.
  2. Francistor83

Francistor83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very happy new adventures are coming in. Had missed the crazy Thai guy episode but not the least surprised knowing a little about the potential topography of the land...:)

Enjoy and be safe! Thanks in advance for taking us along. And also for updating us on Lopburi's progress on his own projects!
  3. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in and looking forward to the Edventure and have read most of the previous ones BUT do not know about the crazy Thai so please enlighten us even if just cliff notes
    And have a great ride
  4. Tsin

Tsin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be the stalker teacher that he once talked about. As far I remember he tried to protect a student from him.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bingo!
    BruceT, steved57, VisionPilot and 2 others like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Things are not staring off well.
    I missed my flight to Thailand.

And the rebooking fee is more than I paid for the flight originally.

Not sure I can afford to go now.
    But I have assembled together some cool stuff to test out and I was looking forward to getting off the grid.
    [​IMG]

Got to see what my options are now
    Should have titled this report......Ediot Edventures

X
    Foiler, SmilinJoe, BruceT and 12 others like this.
  7. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear that Ed.

Would say make your way back to Utah but the passes still have snow.

I finally finished Hwy 50 (driving) from your home coming trip. Made it to Austin NV from SLC before heading south. 20190224_121452.jpeg 20190225_104241.jpeg 20190224_155947.jpeg
    TM1(SS) and SmilinJoe like this.
  8. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ed, I have crappy Thai beer for you and Patty wants to put you in storage. It will make sense when you get here.
    TM1(SS), rubline, jays100 and 2 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So here's the story.
    I dont really keep a calendar.
    I knew my flight was coming up and I just got mixed up on the dates.
    I was working a lot of Chris Haines Baja trips and I had one this past weekend. The trips are almost always Thurdsay thru Sunday. This one was Friday thru Monday. I remembered booking my flight so that I would have a day off to pack. So when I woke up Tuesday morning, I looked at my flight schedule and realized that my flight was going to leave in 2 hours. And I had not even started packing. I called the airline and waited on hold for almost an hour before I could speak with a customer representative. They told me that someone would call me back in 4 hours to let me know what my options were.
    Of course they didnt call back, so I called back and waited on hold again. This time the lady said that to make the change, it would cost me almost $700!!!!!!!
    The whole round trip ticket was only $523 in the first place so I was shocked. And for $700, I could fly out in 2 days time.
    And to make it worse, since I missed my first flight, my reservation for my return flight was canceled too!
    What could I do. They had me by the balls.
    I am not a rich man. I was only planning to spend about $150 a week while traveling, so my entire budget was gone if I rebooked the flight.
    I saw other flights for later dates could be bought for less on line but it would dramatically shorten my trip. And i was trying to decide if it was even worth it.
    This was probably my biggest fuxk up off my entire Edventures (ok maybe that time I partied with the Thai military guys was pretty bad too and I am never telling that story.)
    Maybe it is my fate
    Maybe it is my destiny.
    I missed that flight for a reason
    This chapter has been rewritten for me.
    These next few days will be interesting to see what and how things Evolve
    It's always an Edventure with me
    Foiler, SmilinJoe, BruceT and 15 others like this.
  10. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Im in, again.

[​IMG]
  11. Meme

Meme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    following as always!

If you still in the US, two things you might want to consider.
    1- Not sure what route are you taking to Thailand, but this could affect you. https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/thai-airways-cancels-flights-europe-14061470
    2- You mentioned that you are taking the battery of your bike with you. It is my understanding that car/motorcycle batteries or lithium batteries with more than 100 watts hours are not allowed in check bags. Just make sure either with the airlines and/or TSA that you are allowed to take it, otherwise could be confiscated. Good luck and have fun!! post pictures of chicas! :)
    kumatae likes this.
  12. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your scheduling snafu. I travel for a living and just want to say that $$ is a renewable resource. Time, however, is precious.
    Root'n for something truly worthy of an Edventure to show up, you have the creative genes so, use'em - it's gonna be epic!
  13. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I have read a couple of your Edventures, I think it may be that you are not to see her again.
    You'll know what I mean.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Actually not sure who you mean by "her". Orsi, Tam, Joop, ?
    Regardless, you are probably right
    VisionPilot and jays100 like this.
  15. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your planning snafu! Betting the stars will align again soon and you will be on your next Edventure.

Since you have some time now... what really happened with the Thai military guys? I'm pretty sure everyone wants to know... :D
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  16. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! All the sordid details please
  17. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding Li-Ion batteries and flight shipment, just read this from one of today's aviation daily news outlets. It appears you can ship them in "cargo only" flights with the proviso of no more than 30% charge - there was no prior public notice so this may change by carrier as well. Note they're prohibited in revenue service/people flights, any area. personal devices like phones/laptops, etc, are excepted.
    Having fun yet?
  18. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait...where's Aya? I want her! lolol
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am going to take that story to my grave
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    As I was contemplating my next move, I was trying to understand my motivation here.
    I worked 3 Baja tours this month alone. And now I am heading off to SE Asia for sort of more of the same. This time on my nickel. And this is suppose to be my vacation.
    It would be like doing accounting on your vacation if your job was an accountant.
    But I love my Edventures. I really want to get off the grid and into the jungle......something different that Baja doesn't have.
    But I am wondering if I should just stay here in Northern Thailand, drink some crappy beers, go out at night and chase girls. I did pretty well for myself the last couple of years there.
    But this time i feel different. The desire is still there but I am a bit disheartened by girls these days. My aforementioned last 3 GF's have left my heart in pieces (well 2 of the 3 anyway).
    So this time, I am going to do what I do best and that is motorcycle Edventure.......get out there deep in the jungles, interact with the people and experience the culture that most tourist never come even close to seeing.
    Sorry, I dont think there will be any bikinis in this RR. But you never know.......I missed that flight for some unknown reason.
    The future will soon be the present moment.
    locopny, Foiler, #1Fan and 16 others like this.