Magic String Edventure - This ain't gonna be no vacation. Going deep in Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Feb 21, 2019.

1. barrakuda

barrakuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "I am a bit disheartened by girls these days" that will pass my friend, the force is powerful on that string of yours
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Girls in California only want a guy with money, a home and a real job......imagine that!
    Girls I meet traveling are looking for fun and adventure until their instincts kick in and then they are no different than the California girls.
    Hence why I am taking a break from girls and seeking the open road instead. I will be able to give the girls what they want one day........but I dont want to be that guy this month. I am on vacation from them
    mb300, HectorCh, td63 and 13 others like this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I've been on vacation from them for a decade. It's lonely at times but better all around and peaceful - not to mention cheaper.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Call in good fortune or good karma but there was a reason I missed my flight. Only time would tell me why.
    The airline told me my error was going to cost me about $700. The rebooking penalty was $200 and the increase in airfare for a new booking was nearly $500. They had me by the balls. They told me nothing was available for the next day and my best option was to leave the following day. I nearly pulled the trigger but I needed a moment to consider my options. I had all my gear laid out in front of me. I had my new Sargent Seat that I was super excited about. I had my new Mosko Moto Reckless 80 bags that I was dying to try out. My lead acid battery was dead so I was bringing a lightweight Antigravity Lithium battery. And I had my old trusty Rev'it boots that I started my journey with nearly 7 years ago. I considered just not going this year but when I looked at all that stuff and thinking it would just being sitting idle, I knew I had to figure out how to get myself and these things across the Pacific and do it quickly. I have other Baja trips scheduled in a month's time so I was wasting time contemplating matters.
    I checked and found another fare to Chiang Mai for about $450 but it would mean a much shorter trip.
    I called back my airline to ask again about my options. I thought maybe I could pay the penalty and use the ticket for next year without paying for a higher fare and then booking a $450 fare for this year.
    I also considered just saving the money and not going. But just living in California would cost me more than traveling around Asia so it was probably my best option to head to Asia.
    When the operator picked up my call, I told her that I missed my flight and I wanted to know my options. She asked me when I wanted to fly again and I said ASAP. She asked if I could go the next day. I was now curious as the other operator didnt give me that option. I said of course. That would be ideal. She then said that she might be able to make the change For Free but she would have to speak with her supervisor. As she put me on hold, I thought, she is being nice but her boss will tell her to charge me $700 for missing my flight just as the other operator did. When she came back on the phone, she asked if it was just me traveling alone. I said yes and she put me on hold again. When she came back on the phone, she said she had made the change for free - no penalty- no nothing. I was shocked. I didnt really believe it. I asked her to send me a revised itinerary but she said she couldnt e mail it to me. I asked if she could text it. So she used her own personal phone and texted me my new itinerary .
    I didnt want to ask why she made the change for free so I have NO IDEA WHAT JUST HAPPENED. It was too good to be true.

I showed up at the airport, bags in hand hoping that the joke wasn't on me.

He name is Mabel and she works for Air China.
    Is she a Saint?
    Was there going to be a seat waiting for me on the plane?
    [​IMG]
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Along with the battery for my Honda, I am bringing this Antigravity Jump Starter and Personal Power Supply. Everyone needs one of these. It fits in the palm of your hand and is powerful enough to jump start your car or bike's dead battery. That could come in handy when stranded deep in the forest while camping and leaving my lights on.
    But it's more than that. It has a 5 volt power supply to power your phone of tablet for days. It has a 12 volt power supply to power 12 volt accesories like an air compressor. And it has a 19 volt power supply to power your laptop!!!!
    It can be charged using either household current or for living off the grid indefinitely, you can charge it from your bike's battery while riding.
    It also has a powerful flashlight incorporated in the design.
    I dont see how I can ever live without one of these things again.
    Reading the FAA guidelines, as long as the batteries arent over 100 a/h then they should not be an issue in my carry on bags.
    I will know soon enough.
    Otherwise it will be an expensive mistake for me. And I cant afford to make any more of these.

[​IMG]
    mb300, Foiler, ShimrMoon and 18 others like this.
  6. minisoda

minisoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! In.
  7. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew you’d make it happen!! Yeay for Mabel!!!
    chinditone and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  8. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The universe is starting to align for you Mr. Ed!!
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    BTW......those are 3 used Dunlop 606 tires i have in my right hand that I got from Chris Haines tours. He doesn't wear out his tires like I do. So you know it is not going to be a vacation when you are bringing off road tires with you as luggage.
    The other is my custom made and sized cardboard shipping box. I reinforced the cardboard with wood stiffened. Added wheels and a handle. I had to shorten it a bit to comply with my airlines regulations so I would not be charged extra. The Sargent seat and the oversized handlebars I am bringing won't fit into a standard size luggage.
    Just being resourceful can save you a lot of money.
    And so can getting on your flight on time
    mb300, locopny, tamas and 7 others like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    All 3 of my ex GFs are in Thailand right now. I wonder what the universe is saying about that. I know what they are saying and they are not in alignment
    mb300, JMB_ADV, Foiler and 5 others like this.
  11. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is going to be awesome and inspiring. In for the report.

Thailand is on my list of places I want to ride. Good luck!
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I made it thru LAX baggage check with my Antigravity lithium bike battery and personal power supply. They looked at them, checked the amp hour capacity and sent me thru.
    Now let's see what happened when I go thru Beijing China with them. The Chinese are have good security too.
    So now we know......you can bring lithium motorcycle batteries on an airplane- no problem.
    SmilinJoe, BruceT, jays100 and 7 others like this.
  13. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    greetings from the frozen North
    You may remember your stop at my place where you showed me how to ride trials in a full touring suit. Wicked cool ride. Sorry to not continue with you on the beemers. Mine had an intermittant starting problem that was not quite solved (needed a new starter). Next time.
    On women - I think you need a unicorn with wings. That would be the girl that can at least hold up her half. Where is the house, income and job she is contributing ? Does she even have her own car ? Just a thought. Carry on.
  14. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be an EDventure if it didn't have twists and turns.
    MaNDan and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  15. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Won't be much longer before seeing photos from Ed :)

Attached Files:

16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Here is an interesting fact. Motorcycles can park for free at some airports. LAX is one of them. Others, you can just sneak around the barrier.
    That is great news as it is always tough finding someone to give you a ride there.
    It's not easy to fit everything on a bike but I managed.
    The other thing was I was able to ride in the carpool lane during rush hour. And here in California, it is legal to split lanes when all the lanes get backed up.
    So many advantages for taking a bike.

[​IMG]

As they say, out of sight - out mind.
    The parking for motorcycles could not be any more convenient. You pull into the parking structure and around the gate. And the parking is right there. Then you walk across the street and you are in the terminal.
    I am a bit concerned about leaving my bike there for a month. But I brought 2 cable locks. One to lock up my suit and helmet. The other I used to lock the bike up to the railing.
    I also got this Nelson Rigg big cover. It is waterproof, stormproof, bombproof and even bulletproof. Ok i exaggerate a bit. But it is exactly what i need to keep eyes off of it. I plan to bring it with me to Europe to hide it while i am trekking the trails in the alps. And if it rains or snows, the bike is also protected from the elements.
    Highly recommend if you want to protect your bike from both the elements and from bad guys as well.

[​IMG]
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Of course I remember you.
    You guys have no idea how much I enjoy hearing back from the guys that hosted me from around the US and the world.
    I remember you all well. And it is a big reason I continue to post here.......one to stay in touch with you all and also to meet new people.
    My BMW was not getting spark for some reason. I shot some starting fluid into the intake and it didnt even sputter. So I know it's not a gas issue.
    Regarding women - where is my job, income and house? I need to be in halfsies as well.
    Guiding motorcycle tours in Baja is not a real job is it? But I did manage to save enough money to be here in Thailand.
    And I am hoping to get a house within the next year. So I will contribute my half.
    I did buy Orsi a car for her to use while she was in California. And despite our break up, it has come in handy getting around what has been the coldest, rainiest winter in So Cal in a long time.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It's not gonna happen this time.
    All the other times I.....
    Made an effort to meet girls
    And was ready and open in my heart to meet them.
    This time i am not.
    Orsi is busy doing her on line work and yoga on Koh Tao. She hasn't shown any interest in meeting up.
    This time, i am going to focus on my exploring on two wheels - not two legs.
    When i get to Europe this summer, that is when i will be ready, willing and able to meet someone. And hopefully if I do, she will look great in a bikini.
  19. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Still, you don't need to pass up any good photo ops :)
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So I made it to Chiang Mai Thailand.
    Traveling thru Beijing, I went thru a security check point and they looked over by Antigravity batteries and again there was no problem.
    But they did give me quite the pat down.
    I was lazy and didnt empty my pockets. I had my wallet, passport, glasses, pen, phone, spare change, etc. They spent 5 minutes patting me down. They used a metal detecting wand as well. It was a woman and she pretty much touched every part of my body. Sadly I enjoyed it. It's been nearly 3 months since I felt a woman's touch......almost a record for me.
    And no, I didn't ask he for her number after that.
    Mediocre Man, Foiler, cappt and 17 others like this.