Magic String Edventure - This ain't gonna be no vacation. Going deep in Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Feb 21, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh a major setback
    My luggage didnt show up
    They said 2 and a half hours was not enough time to get my bags (box and tires) onto my connecting flight in Beijing.
    So now I am sort of stuck until my bags show up. Plus it's hot here and I only have my motorcycle boots for getting around.
    But I cant complain too much. I got here and the airline didnt charge me for rescheduling my flight after I missed it.

Hot weather here.
    I hear it is another rainy week for my friends back at home
    Lol

[​IMG]
    Diddly, SmilinJoe, BruceT and 12 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I picked up my bike from The Piston Shop - where it was being stored. They did a service on it and installed my new Sargent Seat. So I am ready to roll.
    It is nice being back on such a lightweight bike. But after riding those XR650Rs around Baja, it sure feels slow.
    It was only a half mile ride back to my hotel. Unfortunately I came across a police checkpoint. They check to make sure your bike is currently registered, you have a motorcycle endorsement on your DL and you have an international DL. I didnt have any of that stuff with me. I sort of hide behind a truck as I passed thru. The police yelled at me to stop but I didnt look and kept on riding. Not much they could do and there are plenty of other bikes to pull over to worry about one guy that made it thru.

[​IMG]
    ishmac, mb300, Mediocre Man and 23 others like this.
  3. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Ed said.....
    OMG......sounds like another Edventure getting started right.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My first order of business was to get my bike registration renewed at the Thai DMV.
    It first involves buying annual insurance ($6). The a vehicle inspection ($2). Then the tag renewal ($3).
    In all it took about an hour.
    Now I am legal.
    On the way to the DMV, I passed thru a police check point where they check your papers and license. They yelled for me to stop but I just rode on past them.
    I have always said.....unless they have a big gun and they are pointing said gun at me, i dont stop.

[​IMG]
    mb300, Mediocre Man, locopny and 23 others like this.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell us how you did this arrangement, I have a sister inlaw in Thailand, may want to move our bike from Malaysia.?
  6. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol, nice ad placement for antigravity batteries! Where can I get one and be just like you?
    Seriously, enjoying the sublime edventure.
  7. Francistor83

Francistor83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's been taken care of... Too bad for fellow travellers interested in good tips.
    Mofrid likes this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Four pages in and this ride and ride report are just getting started.
    My second order of business was to get my bike out of storage at the Piston Shop in Chiang Mai and move the bike and all my stuff I keep with it to my friend's place near Chiang Rai - about 4 hours to the Northeast.
    I stacked and balanced everything on top of my skinny bike and headed off. I have seen much worse here in SE Asia so I didnt really stand out.
    It wasn't much fun to ride this top heavy, poor handling bike on the twisty roads for 4 hours. But my goal was to just make it there, drop off my stuff, get my bike set up ready and hang out with my friends for a couple of days before setting off into Laos.

[​IMG]
    mb300, Mediocre Man, cappt and 22 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    What arrangement?
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am disappointed too.
    I work hard on my posts and it is frustrating when they get deleted.
    I am one of the most followed guys here on Advrider because I like to share more than just where I've been and which roads I travel on. You get the personal side because I express my feelings - in good times and in bad.
    I am genuinely excited about this new lithium battery technology. Maybe I shouldn't be dropping names as it maybe come across as an advertisement. But again, I am sharing my feelings, showing how I am setting up my bike for this next Edventure and how my bike and I have evolved over years based on all my experiences.
    I am not getting paid for any statements I make. It is just my opinion- take it for what it is worth. If you like it, then great. If you dont, that is ok too. Remember, you are reading this on your own free will.
    I have some really good stuff coming up. I was looking at the map of Laos. I want to take as many dirt roads and trails as possible. I plan to be off the grid as much as possible so I might not be able to check in as much as I would like.
    But I am really excited to be getting out there deep in the mountains and jungles of SE Asia on this next Edventure.

[​IMG]
    crashkorolyk, mb300, td63 and 24 others like this.
  11. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which Rev'it jacket you sporting now (Tornado)? Appears mesh,I assume for the hot humidity you'll be encountering. What ya going with for rain protection..inner liner?
    mabtins likes this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This is my new bike set up.
    Without mentioning any names, I did away with the locking box in the rear because it was putting too much weight up high and to the rear of the bike, breaking my rear subframe on 2 occasions already. When riding off road, it vibrates, causing the metal to fatigue and crack. I have strengthened the subframe to prevent this but I found myself riding the bike slower than I wanted to avoid problem. Because I plan to ride this bike primarily in the dirt, I needed to find a solution. My former saddlebags were great and served me well for 6 seasons/years but I needed something larger. I also wanted a rackless system to keep the weight down and keeping a narrow profile to squeeze the bike through tight places.
    I looked at everything on the market and chose this set up as it best suited my criteria.
    They hold all my stuff that I "need" and nothing more. Plus the weight is carried down low on the bike.
    I also put some oversized bars on the bike. Something that I have wanted to do for quite some time.
    JetJockJim gave me his old tent....sort of. We were cleaning the dead rat carcasses out of his garage and I asked if I could have that tent in his garage collecting dust. He told me that he might use it again next time he goes camping. I had to laugh as camping for him is the Holiday Inn and not the Hyatt. I dont think he will be missing it and it will be getting used well. Thanks Bud!
    And I put on some slightly used Dunlop 606 tires that the Baja tour company I work for usually throws out in their garbage. Looking forward to seeing how many miles I can squeeze out of them.
    My bike now has 60,000 km on it. It still looks and runs great. I can hear the cam chain thrashing around inside the engine. Seems to be a common problem with this brand of bike (not mentioning names but they are usually red). My other ones had the same issue. But not my blue one in Europe with its gear driven cams.
    I hope it holds up otherwise it will be a long walk out of the jungle

[​IMG]
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think it is called the Tornado. I have had it for several years now. I keep in here with my bike as I found it best for the climate here. It is made of mesh and then stronger materials in the impact areas. I like it because it keeps me cool in this hot weather.
    I am traveling light so I dont have room for a lot of extra gear. This is dry season here and I am not expecting rain. But if it does, I have liners that zip in that are waterproof. But I am mainly carrying them in case it gets cold in the mounatins. The waterproof liner doubles as a thermal liner. And I will wear the liners at night if need be sleeping in my tent at night. The one thing I didnt bring was a better sleeping bag. It will be on my list for next year.
    Everything that I have has a purpose or two.
    mb300, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 13 others like this.
  14. kevdawg

kevdawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike looks great! Thanks for taking us along :) looking forward to this EDventure!
  15. MaNDan

MaNDan 'Old Japanese cycles & '26Chevy truck

Oddometer:
    I can't remember; Where are the twins? They should be all grown up now.
    Pete_Tallahassee and Force0321 like this.
  16. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are we starting a pool?
    My vote is for the lovely Aya! (All in Ed’s best interest of course )
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Patty likes your new “no name” brand luggage. Safe travels. Hope to see you in Europe next.
    315965A4-EC47-4B48-B606-61F860BFDF15.jpeg
    mb300, cappt, Francistor83 and 16 others like this.
  18. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    It is frustrating to see how many posts get deleted in an "Ed Thread", yours as well as the readers. It seems more so than other ride reports I followed.
    I guess you're on the radar.
    Are you going to do your own FB blog or some such on this trip?
    Francistor83, #1Fan, Rock709 and 6 others like this.
  19. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    What is that structure you were camped under? Looks like a very large trampoline!
  20. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    +1
    atokad, #1Fan, jays100 and 1 other person like this.